I don't understand why 801s are less popular than 510s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophey

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
My first experience with the e-cig was the NPro starter kit. After a couple of days with it, I realized I'd (almost accidentally -- since I wasn't actually thinking it would work at all and certainly didn't expect I'd stop smoking analogs as a result of trying it) finally happened upon the means to end my smoking habit/addiction. True to my nature, I began researching and found this forum. After watching numerous Youtube videos and reading threads here, I ordered a manual-switch Joye 510.

The 510 was okay, but I didn't like the fact that the atomizer quickly felt too hot to hold. After more research, I decided to try the 901. Since I was a bit tired of constantly changing the 510's batteries, I ordered the Riva 901. The 901 felt like a huge step up from the 510. I was happy.

But I kept reading about the 801 and felt more and more curious. Finally, I gave in and ordered one -- just to see if there was anything to the longer atomizer. And I'm completely amazed. The 801 feels like another step up. I love the long, cool vapes, and I'm amazed that it delivers the tastes of the expensive, designer juices I'm hooked on even better than the 901.

So, here I sit, happily vaping away the hours on a DSE 801, wondering just how it came to be that the majority of vapers seem to prefer the 510 over the 801 (or even the 901, for that matter). Since I'm so new to vaping, I just had to throw the question out there. Perhaps someone that's been around will be able to enlighten me!

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
I'm still fairly new to vaping but, people often prefer a 510 because:

*warmer vapor
*little "airier" which makes for an easier draw
*WAY more options to use their favorite 510 carto/atty on. Such as the more popular mods like a silver bullet, provari, REO, Buzz Pro, etc. etc. etc.
*Good vapor production
*Option of using a 306 which is compatible with almost all 510 mods

I'm glad that you have found an 801 to work for you. They do offer better flavor compared to a 510 or 306.

Last edited:

brittanyNI

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2011
New England
Maybe just a matter of availability?

I just ordered an 801 variant and when it arrives I'll see how it works. I like the style of a longish (as opposed to wide) e-cig; and have mainly used XL 808 batteries or Mega 510 batteries to achieve the look.

One thing that may make a difference is accessories.

Anyway, I'll try out the 801 and if it works as awesome as it looks ... maybe I'll make my own PCC. LOL

brittanyNI

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2011
New England
Okay, I am reporting back. I didn't get the standard DSE-801, but got the interchangeable RN-4072 instead.

First off, I like the look. It isn't quite as sleek as an XL 808 battery with a 901 atomizer (which works quite well), but more closely resembles a 100 style cigarette in a holder. Yes, I know it is superficial, but I like the lines of a long cigarette aesthetically, and this pen-style e-cig meets that criteria.

How does it perform? Way better than a similarly equipped 510 unit, that is for sure! The vapor is incredible. It's a nice slow draw and really captures the flavor. This is important as I make my own juices and include a lot of nuance in my juices. (For example, the mix I used to test this includes, in 6ml: 1 drop of shade, 1 drop of vape whiz, 1 drop of wintergreen, 1/2 drop of honeysuckle, 2 drops of hypnotic mist, 4 drops of green apple, 4 drops of apple and 6 drops of menthol solution.) You can taste EVERY ingredient in the juice, even after long melding. This has the best taste of anything I have used.

But not only can you taste every ingredient, the vapor is insane. The only things that come close are Ikenvape cartomizers and a 901 atomizer on an 808 manual battery. It works so well that I had to cut the nicotine in the juice I usually use in my 510 by half.

The battery life (320maH) is fine. This came with two auto batteries, which I usually avoid. However, these batteries work great! It gives a really natural feeling. The vape is cool, but the throat hit is excellent due to the concentration. It uses more juice than a comparably equipped 510.

Speaking of juice ... no leaks. None. No spitting juice either.

This device has a long profile (155mm) -- which I love. But the custom case holds two charged bats and two atomizers with full cartridges, and the case is low profile and about the size of my change purse. Very discreet.

Okay, there IS one downside to this unit. Whether this is unique to the RN-4072 or common across the entire 801/801-clone platform, I don't know. The downside is that the juice you run has to be clean clean clean.

My own juices are extremely clean and vape perfectly in this unit with no off-tastes. But i tried some v-thin menthol from Penny's and it quickly developed a burnt off-taste. After cleaning the atty I refilled with Gourmet Vapors' "VA-Jenny" and it was fine. You need to use a low residue juice in this unit!

Incidentally, this unit is particularly sensitive to less clean juices as the 510 atty/cartridge didn't generate the burnt off-taste.

But since I usually make my own juice and my own juices are very clean, this isn't an issue.

I'll keep my other units around, but this is definitely my new favorite!

To answer your rhetorical question, I think this unit is less popular because it is not a low profile unit. I like to do snap inhales, vamp and blow rings. I like the look of a long device and use it as much as a fashion accessory as anything else, so for me it is perfect. The incredible performance clinches the deal. But a lot of people are ashamed of smoking/vaping. They think of it as a weakness or even evidence of a profound character flaw. So they try to be as low profile as possible. The 510 lends itself to very low profile usage, whereas this thing sticks out.

Me? I want it to stick out. But I don't think most people do.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
I started almost two years ago with and 801, then went with the Janty Stick because it used the same atty. Used attys & carts up until last wed night when I got an E-Power because the Stick was on it's last leg. I used them because they held twice as much as the others and I had no problems with wicking.

kcofohio

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2009
Ohio
For my wife and I, the 801 is the best balance in TH, vapor, and flavor. We drip(gave up on trying to get the carts to flow properly), so it is best suited for home or on break @ work. The regular 2.8-3.2 ohm atty is best on a 5v mod, IMHO. We have tried the 510's and were not impressed with them @ any voltage. I don't believe the 801 gets a fair shake since it isn't on the band wagon with the 510. :)

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I was really surprised by the 801. I had assumed since it was an old style that people no longer used much it probably wasn't going to be very good. Boy, was I surprised!

It produces much more vapor than the 510. And, since the vapor is cooler, much more flavor too. On top of that, the cartridge is much larger so doesn't have to be refilled as often.

As far as I can see, the 801 just doesn't look enough like a real cigarette for most people. It figures. I find something I really like, and it turns out to be something that is being discontinued in most places and getting hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread