I got approached today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRPJ

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
San Diego, Ca
So im at school and a teacher walks by as im vaping. She tells me im not suppose to be smoking and i reply with a simple im not smoking. She stops and says it doesn't matter what smoke it is and walks away and tells another teacher. That teacher then proceeds to tell me theres a smoking area over yonder and i tell her im not even smoking a cigarette. She says oh and walks away.

SnowDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Springfield, IL
So im at school and a teacher walks by as im vaping. She tells me im not suppose to be smoking and i reply with a simple im not smoking. She stops and says it doesn't matter what smoke it is and walks away and tells another teacher. That teacher then proceeds to tell me theres a smoking area over yonder and i tell her im not even smoking a cigarette. She says oh and walks away.

Gotta love that comment.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I'm surprised you were confronted while holding one of these:

yodas_lightsaber.jpg

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I was sitting in the parking lot of the school my hubby works at waiting for him (I drive him to and from work). I mean the far end of the parking lot not in sight of any kids or the bus line. A teacher must have seen me vaping in my car with the windows up. Next thing I knew the principal was banging on my window SCREAMING at me and threatening my husbands job if she ever saw me doing it again.

Yeah people are nuts

SnowDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Springfield, IL
I was sitting in the parking lot of the school my hubby works at waiting for him (I drive him to and from work). I mean the far end of the parking lot not in sight of any kids or the bus line. A teacher must have seen me vaping in my car with the windows up. Next thing I knew the principal was banging on my window SCREAMING at me and threatening my husbands job if she ever saw me doing it again.

Yeah people are nuts

Holy crap!

I think I know what that principle needs but it wouldn't be appropriate to mention it here.

SRPJ

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
San Diego, Ca
Was this a college? Just curious.
In Oklahoma, they have now banned e-cigs completely at several school districts (school buildings as well as school sporting events) but they are all elementary through high school. The reasoning was that they 'do not want any nicotine products around the students because it's a bad influence."

Yes it's a college

I carry pro-vaping, anti-smoking brochures to hand to people who think I'm smoking. :)

I need me some of those haha

JasonK94Z

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Olathe, KS, USA

Yeah people are nuts

I remember picking up my kids from school while actually smoking a cigarette once! Hahaha.

evilt34cher

Aug 31, 2013
Mexico
I agree with the fact that if the liquid contains nicotine it should not be allowed to be used freely, I wouldn't go as far as going to the designated smoking zone because I hate that smoke, I loved to smoke but not the smell of it. So I'm kinda confused on what I would've done, maybe just ask kindly if you could stop doing it or maybe do it somewhere else because of image problems...and if you say no well thanks and go away...maybe...

EtherMagic

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Was this a college? Just curious.
In Oklahoma, they have now banned e-cigs completely at several school districts (school buildings as well as school sporting events) but they are all elementary through high school. The reasoning was that they 'do not want any nicotine products around the students because it's a bad influence."

They should ban coffee then too.

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
I find it to be a common courtesy and sign of respect to vape in the designated smoking area on campus and at other places in public. Breaking rules and arguing will only make us all look bad in the long run.

While I adhere to the same "common" courtesy, to call it breaking the rules (unless vaping is specifically banned in all other areas) is unfair to us as vapers. If we concede to the fact that our vaping is no better than smoking, why would anyone else ever think otherwise?

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
For the person vaping in your own car away from everyone probably looked a bit suspicious. I feel if you're in a vehicle that is yours than you should be able to smoke or vape in any parking lot period.

If you guys both have cell phones I would just vape off property and have him text you when he is ready to be picked up. Risking a job is not worth it in the end. Teachers/Principles are used to getting their way and enjoying a sense of power throughout the day. I just hate this whole being lumped in with smokers, it's maddening how f-ed up and naive people are these days.

One of the joys of vaping I found was being able to do this in my car and in my home. I always smoked outside and really enjoyed the new freedom so to speak. I feel this new freedom slipping away slowly to the point where I may just not vape anymore. Not to say I will fight this to the bitter end and they may have to take the PV out of my cold dead hand lol.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
I need me some of those haha
I made it myself. The focus is "I am NOT smoking, I am using a personal vaporizer. There's no smoke, tar, carbon monoxide, etc." I assumed that the folks most likely to be upset and most likely to approach me would be anti-smoking activists. Anti-smoking activists, as I see it, have the potential to be EITHER our worst enemies OR our greatest allies. For this reason, it's important to me to give them accurate information: I want to win them over so they will become allies. They're opposed to smoking? So am I. And guess what? Most vapers are current or former smokers who report that vaping reduces or eliminates their cigarette usage.

No joke, I think we should all be prepared, when we're out and about, to make a pro-vaping case to anti-smoking activists. They could become some of our best allies IF we're willing to educate them.

Breaking rules and arguing will only make us all look bad in the long run.
Agreed. We're not just vapers. We need to think of ourselves as ambassadors for vaping. The better we make vaping look, the more non-vapers will support vaping.

SRPJ

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
San Diego, Ca
I find it to be a common courtesy and sign of respect to vape in the designated smoking area on campus and at other places in public. Breaking rules and arguing will only make us all look bad in the long run.

Im not breaking the rules considering im not smoking.

Side note information; At a college, If 'no smoking' signs do not contain the code, the sign is invalid.

I remember picking up my kids from school while actually smoking a cigarette once! Hahaha.

When i use to smoke i would pick up friends from school all the time

I agree with this sentiment.

The first time I saw an electric cigarette, I was still working at Sephora (and was a pack a day smoker). A Pinkberry employee with a crush on me stopped by the store, pulled out his e-cig, and started puffing away on the sales floor. Intuitively, looked "wrong" to me. You know what I mean. I asked him to please stop and put it away, and I thought he was being a dumbass.

If this exact situation had occurred outside, I probably been curious and much less cranky.

I always remember how I felt at that moment whenever I vape in public. People don't understand -- it's up to US to make sure their first vaping exposure is a positive one.

SRPJ

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
San Diego, Ca
I agree with this sentiment.

The first time I saw an electric cigarette, I was still working at Sephora (and was a pack a day smoker). A Pinkberry employee with a crush on me stopped by the store, pulled out his e-cig, and started puffing away on the sales floor. Intuitively, looked "wrong" to me. You know what I mean. I asked him to please stop and put it away, and I thought he was being a dumbass.

If this exact situation had occurred outside, I probably been curious and much less cranky.

I always remember how I felt at that moment whenever I vape in public. People don't understand -- it's up to US to make sure their first vaping exposure is a positive one.

But from your story you are inside, I was outside of my class and if you walk by me during my break and tell me that i shouldnt be smoking right there and continue to walk away then you will be subjected to my 3 only words "im not smoking". Now if you were to stop, you'd receive a detailed speech of how im not smoking

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

I'm afraid I don't agree. Unless there is a particular ordenance purtaining to vaping, it's not breaking a rule. If we present the perception that vaping is the same as smoking and just as dangerous, then the reality is, that vaping IS just as dangerous as smoking and we should be segregated and shunned. That is what we tell people when we act like vaping is exactly the same as smoking.

Instead, vape openly, not in smoking areas, but respectfully and with common sense.

And to the OP, good job NOT acting like a sheep as if you were doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread