I got approached today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
........................We need to think of ourselves as ambassadors for vaping. The better we make vaping look, the more non-vapers will support vaping.

This is why many of us long time vapers believe it is best to vape openly most places (not all) BUT respectfully and with common sense. Acting like vaping is exactly the same as smoking, by segregating ourselves with smokers, will provide the exact OPPOSITE perception than the one we want to present to the uninformed.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I agree with the fact that if the liquid contains nicotine it should not be allowed to be used freely, I wouldn't go as far as going to the designated smoking zone because I hate that smoke, I loved to smoke but not the smell of it. So I'm kinda confused on what I would've done, maybe just ask kindly if you could stop doing it or maybe do it somewhere else because of image problems...and if you say no well thanks and go away...maybe...

If you read the lastest study on vaping from Drexel University, you will find that unless you blow your vapor directly into the face of a person while they are taking a big breath, they will recieve no nicotine from your vapor. And even under those circumstances it will be very minimal. They would get 100 times more nicotine by eating a tomato.

We need to read the research and keep up to date if we want to educate others on what vaping is and is not.

Last edited:

SRPJ

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
San Diego, Ca
And to the OP, good job NOT acting like a sheep as if you were doing something wrong.

As a long term vaper i dont intend on conforming to 'no smoking rules' since im not smoking. The only time im not smoking around the college campus is during class since my clouds would interfere with me and everyone elses vision of the board haha.

This is why many of us long time vapers believe it is best to vape openly most places (not all) BUT respectfully and with common sense. Acting like vaping is exactly the same as smoking, by segregating ourselves with smokers, will provide the exact OPPOSITE perception than the one we want to present to the uninformed.

Indeed, although the person who approached me was most likely never exposed to people vaping, it would only take a moment for me to explain how im not smoking. And if i cant convince them that vapor is not smoke then i guess the clouds (in the sky, not from your mouths) you see on a daily basis is smoke as well.

jericoriver

Please support CASAA
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Midway,Ga.
My feelings exactly.
For the person vaping in your own car away from everyone probably looked a bit suspicious. I feel if you're in a vehicle that is yours than you should be able to smoke or vape in any parking lot period.

If you guys both have cell phones I would just vape off property and have him text you when he is ready to be picked up. Risking a job is not worth it in the end. Teachers/Principles are used to getting their way and enjoying a sense of power throughout the day. I just hate this whole being lumped in with smokers, it's maddening how f-ed up and naive people are these days.

One of the joys of vaping I found was being able to do this in my car and in my home. I always smoked outside and really enjoyed the new freedom so to speak. I feel this new freedom slipping away slowly to the point where I may just not vape anymore. Not to say I will fight this to the bitter end and they may have to take the PV out of my cold dead hand lol.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I think the fact that we're not smoking puts us more in defensive mode when someone automatically assumes that's what we're doing when they see smoke.
Add to the fact that the person who ran off to tell someone else you were smoking could've taken a few minutes (if they were so inclined) to find out exactly what you were doing when you said "I'm not smoking."

Some times it's hard to know the thought process of others.

@nicetucu I like what you said about texting--so much easier than placing someone's job in jeopardy.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
This is why many of us long time vapers believe it is best to vape openly most places (not all) BUT respectfully and with common sense.
And as long as everyone's acting respectfully, with common sense, you and I are in complete agreement. :thumb:

Acting like vaping is exactly the same as smoking
Since I just explained that I made anti-smoking/pro-vaping brochures to educate people, I'm obviously not in favor of acting like vaping is the same thing as smoking. :)

At the same time, I'm also opposed to vapers acting as if everyone should just automatically already know they're not smoking. The aforementioned Pinkberry employee puffing a vape in Sephora without first asking permission or attempting to explain what he was doing was definitely not acting with either respect or common sense.

We need to understand that people are going to see us vaping and, not knowing what the heck vaping is, mistakenly think we are smoking. And when they react to our vaping as if we are smoking, e.g. by asking/telling us not to smoke, we should respond politely with the goal of educating them and winning them over, not merely asserting our "rights." An impolite assertion of "rights" instead of a polite and reasonable conversation at that point will surely backfire, creating animosity toward vaping where vaping was previously unknown.

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
I was sitting in the parking lot of the school my hubby works at waiting for him (I drive him to and from work). I mean the far end of the parking lot not in sight of any kids or the bus line. A teacher must have seen me vaping in my car with the windows up. Next thing I knew the principal was banging on my window SCREAMING at me and threatening my husbands job if she ever saw me doing it again.

Yeah people are nuts

hm...if a woman is going to scream at me and act like a man, I've no problem treating her like a man. As for 'ever saw me doing it again', is an insuiation that she has the right to tell me what I can do wherever I do it, that would trip my trigger.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Rule of thumb: if you can't smoke there, you can't vape there.

EXCEPTIONS: Movie theaters. I use a Volt and stealth vape. If I'm ever caught, I will accept the consequences. I haven't been caught yet.

SCHOOL: I stealth vape in class all the time with my Volt. No one has noticed, and if they did, it didn't offend anyone enough to say anything. I know how to be discreet.

Other than that, I have the patience and willpower to hold off.

EDIT: Bars that allow vaping and other vape-friendly places don't count.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
I'm generally applying this. If I'm indoors, I will ask permission to vape and, if necessary, happily explain what vaping is (and isn't). After that, I politely accept the "ruling" of the person whose permission I asked. If I'm outdoors, I'll just go ahead and vape without asking anyone's permission. If anyone approaches me about it, I will have a polite, educational conversation with them about what vaping is (and isn't).

If I'm ever caught, I will accept the consequences.
This is a basic rule of thumb for all civil disobedience: If you're going to disobey a law or rule, no matter how unjust it is, you must also be willing to accept the consequences of disobedience. In more serious matters, suffragist Alice Paul, anticolonialist Mohandas Gandhi, and civil rights activist Martin Luther King all did the same. :thumbs:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I find it to be a common courtesy and sign of respect to vape in the designated smoking area on campus and at other places in public. Breaking rules and arguing will only make us all look bad in the long run.
I don't get it. What are they going to do to us if we "look bad" to them?

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I find it to be a common courtesy and sign of respect to vape in the designated smoking area on campus and at other places in public. Breaking rules and arguing will only make us all look bad in the long run.

Well I absolutely, 100% disagree.

I break rules all the time. I travel at 58 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. If nobody is in line at a bank, I bypass the little queuing line even thought it says "Enter Here". I park in 15 minute parking spots for 18 minutes. I guess these things make me a bad person in others eyes. I just don't care. It took me almost 40 years to figure out who I am, and I am not about to change that for anyone. They are not going to corral me into the "smoking areas" when I don't smoke. This point is non-negotiable.

So when they tell me I cannot vape outside on public property, I tell them, "come and take my PV if you are able." Now, if the principle is threatening my SO's job, I would either get their information and report that unprofessional conduct to their superiors, or simply put my PV away to make my SO's life easier. But some teacher coming up and talking smack to me outside about 'smoking'? You have got to be kidding! Get a life, and do something productive with my tax dollars that pay your salary.

It's not smoking, it's not hazardous to other people nearby. I don't care what laws they pass, I am gonna vape outside 98% of the time. They can arrest me if they like, I could not care less. Only if I am in a crowded and congested area would I not do so out of respect for the other folks around.

Hey, to each their own. Happy vaping!

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I was in a store in Laughlin NV vaping and a saleslady told me that I couldn't smoke in there, I told her I wasn't smoking, that I was vaping and she said it didn't matter, it looks like smoking and I couldn't do it in the store, so I said OK and politely put it away.

Yes, the property rights of the owner are paramount! Indoor vaping is only done with the permission of the owner. I never even attempt it without the permission of the business....well, maybe I do stealth vape sometimes in movie theaters....

I would even respect a private owner's wishes for me not to vape outdoors on their property. I don't know why they would want this, but their property rights must be respected. I don't know if I would ever go there again...

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

We need to understand that people are going to see us vaping and, not knowing what the heck vaping is, mistakenly think we are smoking. And when they react to our vaping as if we are smoking, e.g. by asking/telling us not to smoke, we should respond politely with the goal of educating them and winning them over, not merely asserting our "rights." An impolite assertion of "rights" instead of a polite and reasonable conversation at that point will surely backfire, creating animosity toward vaping where vaping was previously unknown.

This is why I always state that we need to educate ourselves and be well prepared to educate others. And the most important people to educate is those who don't smoke because they are the majority. And opportunities to educate the majority will not occur if we segregate ourselves into dark corners.

Our motto should be: Vape openly with respect and educate the misinformed/uninformed.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

EXCEPTIONS: Movie theaters. I use a Volt and stealth vape. If I'm ever caught, I will accept the consequences. I haven't been caught yet.

SCHOOL: I stealth vape in class all the time with my Volt. No one has noticed, and if they did, it didn't offend anyone enough to say anything. I know how to be discreet.

Other than that, I have the patience and willpower to hold off.

EDIT: Bars that allow vaping and other vape-friendly places don't count.

That is not my and many other vapers "rule of thumb". I'm not smoking, I'm not harming others and I'm not going to act like I am.

And I could go into a long dissertation into the "irony" of your position that you shouldn't vape where you can't smoke UNLESS you can do it without getting caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread