I got approached today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I 100 percent disagree... You COULDN'T care less, Eddard. Not could care less. By saying you could care less implies you already care a little bit. COULDN'T care less means you never cared to begin with.

;-)

Well I absolutely, 100% disagree.

I break rules all the time. I travel at 58 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. If nobody is in line at a bank, I bypass the little queuing line even thought it says "Enter Here". I park in 15 minute parking spots for 18 minutes. I guess these things make me a bad person in others eyes. I just don't care. It took me almost 40 years to figure out who I am, and I am not about to change that for anyone. They are not going to corral me into the "smoking areas" when I don't smoke. This point is non-negotiable.

So when they tell me I cannot vape outside on public property, I tell them, "come and take my PV if you are able." Now, if the principle is threatening my SO's job, I would either get their information and report that unprofessional conduct to their superiors, or simply put my PV away to make my SO's life easier. But some teacher coming up and talking smack to me outside about 'smoking'? You have got to be kidding! Get a life, and do something productive with my tax dollars that pay your salary.

It's not smoking, it's not hazardous to other people nearby. I don't care what laws they pass, I am gonna vape outside 98% of the time. They can arrest me if they like, I could not care less. Only if I am in a crowded and congested area would I not do so out of respect for the other folks around.

Hey, to each their own. Happy vaping!

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I 100 percent disagree... You COULDN'T care less, Eddard. Not could care less. By saying you could care less implies you already care a little bit. COULDN'T care less means you never cared to begin with.

;-)

But....I said, "I could not care less." Now, where I come from (and many other places), could not and couldn't are the same thing with regards to their meaning, my friend.

You thought you had the lion...didn't you? I suppose I will forgive you for your haste.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I think the fact that we're not smoking puts us more in defensive mode when someone automatically assumes that's what we're doing when they see smoke.................

We need to understand that people are going to see us vaping and, not knowing what the heck vaping is, mistakenly think we are smoking. ...........

I was always a polite smoker, and I vape politely too. I don't blow smoke or vapor in peoples faces (unless they ask me too lol)
I'm old. and i don't appreciate people "taking me to task" for smoking or vaping. it is none of your business unless you own the property/business. how would "they" react if I went up to them and said their child was a brat and they needed to control him/her. or that they were bad parents or that their perfume stinks and offends me and they need to take it off right now. or they eat like a pig and need to leave the restaurant now. or, or, or. there are lots of things that offend me but I'm not everyones mommy (or nanny) so I keep my mouth shut and move on.
I'm old and I'm not going to take it anymore :vapor:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
But....I said, "I could not care less." Now, where I come from (and many other places), could not and couldn't are the same thing with regards to their meaning, my friend.

You thought you had the lion...didn't you? I suppose I will forgive you for your haste.

I stand corrected, noble lion. I had just woken up when I replied. Needed my morning vape.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I stand corrected, noble lion. I had just woken up when I replied. Needed my morning vape.

I think you and I manage to disagree as agreeably as anyone I have ever met. I am comforted by this.

And we can all agree that we are not ourselves without a morning vape!

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
I don't get it. What are they going to do to us if we "look bad" to them?
They'll support vaping bans in more and more places. The majority of people in this world are not vapers. If we teach them that vapers are jerks by acting like jerks, they're going to support vaping bans instead of supporting vaping. I want people on our side, not the opposition.

This is why I always state that we need to educate ourselves and be well prepared to educate others. And the most important people to educate is those who don't smoke because they are the majority. And opportunities to educate the majority will not occur if we segregate ourselves into dark corners.

Our motto should be: Vape openly with respect and educate the misinformed/uninformed.
We're pretty much saying the same thing.

YogaMist

Apr 24, 2013
Okc
Was this a college? Just curious.
In Oklahoma, they have now banned e-cigs completely at several school districts (school buildings as well as school sporting events) but they are all elementary through high school. The reasoning was that they 'do not want any nicotine products around the students because it's a bad influence."

They should ban coffee then too.

With that being the 'logic' there should be no nicotine patches either. In regards to the person that also mentioned tomatoes, etc. I send a bag of cherry tomatoes with my daughter to school each day for her class snack. (which btw, I read a study recently that linked the intake of tomatoes to reducing the onset of Parkinson's disease.)

On another note: before I quit smoking, I remember being in the morning elementary school drop off line and the lady in the car ahead of me was smoking with her kids in the car. Even as a smoker at the time, that disgusted me. That is how I got hooked. I grew up in the time when it was just fine to smoke anywhere and anytime. I craved cigs before I ever had my first one. I believe it was the second hand smoke.

Last edited:

SRPJ

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
San Diego, Ca
I love that the more older long term vapers are pro-vape anywhere (with respect). I could care less about where i vape. Its not like i walk up to you and blow it in your face (which wouldnt mean anything besides it being disrespectful). I stand there on my phone or talking to others while i vape. It is not my fault youre walking by against the wind and my delicious smelling vapor hits you and you get jealous that you dont have a fancy contraption such as mine however if you have a problem with it go ask mother nature to change the direction of the wind.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
For the person vaping in your own car away from everyone probably looked a bit suspicious. I feel if you're in a vehicle that is yours than you should be able to smoke or vape in any parking lot period.

If you guys both have cell phones I would just vape off property and have him text you when he is ready to be picked up. Risking a job is not worth it in the end. Teachers/Principles are used to getting their way and enjoying a sense of power throughout the day. I just hate this whole being lumped in with smokers, it's maddening how f-ed up and naive people are these days.

One of the joys of vaping I found was being able to do this in my car and in my home. I always smoked outside and really enjoyed the new freedom so to speak. I feel this new freedom slipping away slowly to the point where I may just not vape anymore. Not to say I will fight this to the bitter end and they may have to take the PV out of my cold dead hand lol.

Sorry bro- but in Texas - no smoking is allowed in or out of your car on elementary, junior and high school property - including the parking lot - that is is the law. Just like we can conceal carry - but cannot carry in schools or state and local buildings - that too is a law. Clear/posted sings for both. Not sure what yalls laws are in Oregon.

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
They'll support vaping bans in more and more places. The majority of people in this world are not vapers. If we teach them that vapers are jerks by acting like jerks, they're going to support vaping bans instead of supporting vaping. I want people on our side, not the opposition.

The sad fact of the matter is that, while the majority of people in this world are not vapers, you can find find jerks in any group of people - no matter the sample size. I am one of those people who used to be a polite smoker - I am now a polite vaper - I do this because it is in my nature... I CHOOSE to do so. I am a very non-confrontational person who will go out of his way to avoid "offending" others at all costs. At the same time, I rarely take offense at the action of others and when I do, I would rather remove myself from the situation than demand that they stop whatever it is that is offending me.

With that being said, vaping is NOT smoking. The ignorance of the general, non-vaping population does not change that fact. The slanted reports by the media do not change that fact - why should anyone have (be forced, not by choice) to go out of their way to be "respectful" of someone who only feels that they are being disrespected because they are completely ignorant to what they are or are not being exposed to? I have no problem with educating people; however, when they turn on CNN and see a report about e-cigs being just as bad as analogs, do you really think they will keep an open mind? The people who are offended by my vaping are most often the people who blindly follow mainstream media outlets which do their thinking for them. I don't feel that anyone should have to bend a knee to the ignorance of the masses.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
you can find find jerks in any group of people
No question about it!

But we need to be realistic. Vaping didn't come into the world with some magically clean slate. We're starting from a position in which we appear to be engaging in a frankly dangerous and deeply despised activity, namely smoking. (That we are not smoking doesn't change the appearance.) And what very little familiarity the general public does have with vaping only helps confuse matters further, such as the term "electronic cigarette."

People will not simply say to themselves, "Oh, I wonder what she is doing!" and, upon getting attitude from a vaper, conclude, "Oh, I guess that particular individual is a jerk who's not necessarily representative of other people who engage in this activity."

People are going to say to themselves, "That person is smoking and shouldn't be!" and, upon getting attitude from a vaper, conclude, "Vaping not only looks like smoking, the people who do it are jerks! This should be stopped."

Irrational? Unfair? You won't get any argument from me on that. But it's going to happen unless we make extra efforts to be respectful, polite, and helpful. We're already fighting an uphill battle to win respect and allies.

I am one of those people who used to be a polite smoker - I am now a polite vaper
Great! :thumbs:

With that being said, vaping is NOT smoking.
A fact of which I am obviously well aware. The general public and media, as you recognize, are clearly NOT aware. And while their ignorance does not change the FACTS, their ignorance can nevertheless have huge negative repercussions for us. Yes, it's a fact that vaping is NOT smoking. That fact is small comfort to vapers now living in places where vaping has been banned.

when they turn on CNN and see a report about e-cigs being just as bad as analogs, do you really think they will keep an open mind?
Those with whom we are on friendly terms will be more inclined to believe us than those to whom we give attitude. Again, it may not be fair, but it's part of the hand we've got to play.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
So we should make an effort not to offend their sensibilities?
We should avoid exhaling something that looks like smoke in places where smoking is not allowed?

Because if we do, they will ban us from exhaling something that looks like smoke in places where smoking is not allowed?

So in other words, do what they want us to do, before they make us do what they want us to do.
Or in other other words, act like smokers now, or they will make us act like smokers.

Or in other other other words, do exactly what they want right now, for no real good reason at all.
Because if we act like smokers, we have already lost, and there is no reason for anything.

This is an argument that is so illogical, I don't even know how to explain my inability to understand how anyone could support it.

Don't vape where smoking is not allowed, because otherwise they'll pass rules to say we can't vape where smoking is not allowed.
Well, if you buy into that, you are already NOT vaping where smoking is not allowed, so why would you even care?

I so don't get it.
Can someone PLEASE explain this to me?

The below is an edit to the above
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You responded to my post out of context.
The context of my post was the idea of not vaping where smoking is not allowed.

After reviewing your other posts, I can see your focus is about being vaping jerks.
That is not what my post was about, so your reply was not consistent with what I was replying to.

But having said that, if you would like to argue that we should not vape where smoking is not allowed, then my post stands.

Last edited:

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
We should avoid exhaling something that looks like smoke in places where smoking is not allowed?
Did I say that? Hm, no, I didn't say that. Other things I didn't say would include "act like smokers," "for no good reason at all," and pretty much all the other nonsense you just ascribed to me. Let's stick to what I'm actually saying, please. ;)

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
The context of my post was the idea of not vaping where smoking is not allowed.
The comment to which you responded was "Breaking rules and arguing will only make us all look bad in the long run." I do understand that you were objecting to the idea that smoking rules necessarily apply to vaping, and I agree that smoking rules do not necessarily apply to vaping. You can see this, for example, in my previous comments about freely vaping outdoors and asking permission indoors.

But in your post you asked a broader question: "What are they going to do to us if we 'look bad' to them?" I think that if we make vaping "look bad" to the majority of the population there will be negative repercussions, and I think that's worth mentioning. Being argumentative, for example, will not help our cause, and that is something the previous poster mentioned in addition to the issue of rules.

eric1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2013
Dayton
This may seem odd, but how many vapers check out the policies of such places (campus, workplace, movies, airports, etc) before vaping there?

I usually do as a rule of thumb... in many instances, in addition to knowledge of what we are and are not doing, but also if any policies or rules for those places exist in this light. This can not only help curb or avoid unnecessary anti-vaping confrontation but also what can be done about such a conversation should it arise.

This is not foolproof. But that and respectful common sense can help us all in these matters.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Rule of thumb: if you can't smoke there, you can't vape there.

My rule of thumb is that people who think vaping and smoking are the same thing don't get a vote in where I vape unless they own the business. If you choose not to vape inside (essentially everywhere) because smoking is banned (essentially everywhere) then that is fine, but I don't have to hide my head in the sand just because you do.

If we go outside with the smokers, and only vape in places where you are allowed to smoke, the general public is *never* going to learn the difference. And worse, we're going to smell like smokers because we'll be hanging out in the smoking areas.

But we need to be realistic. Vaping didn't come into the world with some magically clean slate. We're starting from a position in which we appear to be engaging in a frankly dangerous and deeply despised activity, namely smoking. (That we are not smoking doesn't change the appearance.) And what very little familiarity the general public does have with vaping only helps confuse matters further, such as the term "electronic cigarette."

If we only vape in smoking areas, we just reinforce their belief that smoking and vaping are the same.

If we vape in non smoking areas, we'll get a lot more opportunity to show the differnces. And what is the worst case? Well, they could pass laws saying "You are only allowed to vape in places where you are allowed to smoke". But that's what people like you are demanding that we do anyway.

I'll continue to vape in public. Despite all the talk about how non vapers hate us to vape in public, I do it all the time, and nobody ever complains. I've been vaping for around two years, and I've vaped in stores and bars and restaurants almost every day during that time with only one complaint. And that complaint came from a manager who thought I was smoking in his bar. Once he saw my PV he said "Oh, it's one of those, you are fine". One thing that helps in this area is that vaping is fairly popular, with a lot of brick and mortar stores. The more of us there are, the more the general public is going to be educated about it. Assuming we don't go hide in the middle of a bunch of smokers.

Most people that were anti-smoking felt that way because they hated the smell. The public story was "2nd hand smoke is unhealthy". Since vaping doesn't have that smell or the health problems, the vast majority of people simply don't mind.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I find it to be a common courtesy and sign of respect to vape in the designated smoking area on campus and at other places in public. Breaking rules and arguing will only make us all look bad in the long run.

I disagree, if it's outside I feel that I can vape anywhere with the exception of School Grounds k-12. Why should rules that were developed against smoking be automatically applied to vaping.?

I do stealth vape at sporting events anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread