I had almost given up on Genesis tanks until I tried this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escapereality

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
Bluegrass
Making that Rebuildable - hotspot free! - YouTube

I had tried just about everything. Oxidized my wicks over and over, and ended up settling for rolling a bit of cotton at the top of the wick. While the cotton worked great, it seemed to defeat the purpose of using SS mesh for me. The whole point of the mesh in my opinion is its resistance to burning, and the natural flavor you get when using it.

Just for kicks, I pulled my DUD out of my vape supply. (I got a DUD because it was cheap and I could try my hand at these genesis tanks before dropping a hefty dime on it.) I grabbed a wick that had previously rolled and it had failed me the last time I tried to coil it. I followed the method in the video and within 10 minutes I had a perfect coil with zero hotspots.

Now that I know how to roll a proper wick, and know I can get a coil with zero hotspots, I can move on to finding a Genesis rebuildable atomizer tank with some style. Time to start saving...

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
That's a great method, nice post :thumb:

That is how I did my coils when I first got my G-Tank (my first ss wick rebuildable) and I had a lot of success but the chance for shorts was still there and I continue having shorts thus the reason for going with the cotton method.

Also, I will admit, I just got kinda lazy and tired of tweaking a coil til it fired pretty and just wanted to be able to re-coil quickly and easily.

Seeing that vid does make me wanna go back and try it that way again tho....hmmm, maybe I'll give it a go with my AC9 that should be here within the hour :ohmy:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Can I ask, how are you guys oxidizing the SS? All I'm using is a simple bernzo torch grill lighter and I've been using the DID and phoenix SS builds all day and haven't had a single issue. I used the rolling paper method to seat the coils with a layer of carbon- not sure if that's why it's been successful, but *something* is working right...

Anyway now I'm afraid that one of these is gonna throw a short- I just keep reading about everyone having problems. But hey, maybe I just found the right combination of oxidizing/building... who knows! I'll check in if something happens, or my battery on my SB blows. LOL

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I wouldn't be worried about the short. Sounds like you found a oxidizing routine that works, just stick with it. I have used the rolling paper thing but for me if the coil ever got bumped it seems a short would find it's way in...

I use a lil Ronson butane torch and red hot, quench, red hot, quench, red hot, quench with juice, soak with juice and light on fire and let burn out(x3). I might just be too hard on my stuff and have too much jarring around that disturbs the wick. I can just do the cotton thing so quick and so easily and it just plain works for me that I stick to it.

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
Escapereality, Winning!
Great post! This is a wonderful technique, I have used it to make vertical coils in my phoenix with a cotton wick push thru with awesome results. Gonna try it today with my DUD. I used the cotton batten method for my first build with the dud, but did not do enough tilting and fried the cotton, so I got some rather harsh flavor. I have never tried this technique genesis style, because my other genny is a DFW Ratank and the wick is curved as it comes out of the tank. I tried the Cotton Batten method on the DFW and got perfect results. It has a much larger wick, and requires no tilting. I would have to say the flavor with the cotton batten method is slightly muted at first, but after it gets a little break-in seems to have the same flavor as strait SS mesh.
Long and short of it is, some techniques work great for some devices, and some techniques work better with others. I think the more knowledge we share the better, so we can have options. It's all good, thanks for the info, vape on!

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I have the best luck if I oxidize my mesh before I roll it. As long as you don't quench it, it will stay flexible. I roll it up, then heat and quench once to give it some shape, then I season it with some juice burned off with a lighter a few times.

I use the exact same method but dont quench at all. I dont find it necessary and my coils rarely short. I always burn the ss before rolling. Seems to be the key for me anyways.

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
Worked great on this DUD build. Went with a 10 coil wrap on 30 Guage Nichrome with 400 SS mesh wick. 1.9 ohm after wrap prior to wick install, 2.2 ohm after some serious tokin with wick in.

DUD 30G Nichrome 001.jpg DUD 30G Nichrome 002.jpg

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
alright kids, I tried this method again on the AC9, so far so good but I'm just waitin for the short and Provari E1 at the most inconvenient time as per usual;)

Hopefully it works this time.

Maybe I just suck at oxidizing........for those that have rock solid no shorts could you PM yer exact oxidizing procedure? I have read tons of thread and tried tons of things but I'm willing to try anything else....:toast:

Last edited:

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
well holy frog farts!!!!!!

I think I got it figured out.....and here I thought I knew it all;)

I tried this method again on my DuD. It would seem that I was possibly "over-oxidizing" my wicks. This time a did a light torching un-rolled (JackFrost), rolled it up and then just did a couple of juice fires. Boom, solid as a rock right off the bat. perfect 1.8ohms, no hot spots. Tastes a lil funny but I think it just cause of break-in. hopefully it will stand up to my abuse.......we shall see. Anyways, this is the most solid straight SS and coil I've had yet......

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
well holy frog farts!!!!!!

I think I got it figured out.....and here I thought I knew it all;)

I tried this method again on my DuD. It would seem that I was possibly "over-oxidizing" my wicks. This time a did a light torching un-rolled (JackFrost), rolled it up and then just did a couple of juice fires. Boom, solid as a rock right off the bat. perfect 1.8ohms, no hot spots. Tastes a lil funny but I think it just cause of break-in. hopefully it will stand up to my abuse.......we shall see. Anyways, this is the most solid straight SS and coil I've had yet......

Yeah, many don't quench and the guy who came up w/ this method doesn't oxidize; only burns wick w/ lighter (of course his Vaper has a ceramic insulator).

Since I'm a creature of habit, I quench 3x and burn 3x, although I'm aware this is not necessary, it works for me.

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
I never really quenched, although I tried it while attempting to get a good setup. I think I was just over torching the crap out of the wick making the oxidized layer to brittle. Seems it's a less is more thing to some degree.

So far so good all day today, woohoo:thumb:

Let me know how that holds up on the DUD, you I got the beast build on for now, and am holding 2.1 ohm's, but may want to try this next. I'm a three burn/quench guy too, have not noticed any serious shorting issues with that, but am interested in the wicking. The DUD seems to need alot of tippin in my opinion, I'm not too used to that, it works well when tipped, but I like a good saturated wick when I start, cuz I don't usually come up for air after about seven or eight hits.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
with the cotton method I could stand that mod straight up and vape until the tank was dry.....no tipping needed. Without the cotton I find that I have to be a lil more aware of where the wick is in the tank and making sure it's got juice near it. Don't really have to do a big ole tilt on my DuD, the angle of casual vaping is usually enough. I'm sure that that can be fixed with a lil adjustment to wick thickness tho.

And yes, I am a chain-vapin foo....

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
I personally got great results with my coil with the cotton method, but didn't like the slight(and I mean slight, but I could still taste it and it was off putting) taste and the really nasty taste if I got a random dry hit. The rolling paper method helps but I may have to try this tonight when I get off work and have time to experiment, now that crappy USPS changed the delivery date on my Provari from today to tomorrow, even though it's been sitting over at USPS 15 minutes from my house for hours now!!! :mad: At least I can take my mind off it, lol.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
update:

DuD is holding perfect solid even with me bashing it around.
Re coiled a new wick on the AC9 and it is holding rock solid
For shizzynitz I went ahead and made a new wick and coil for the BliSS and it's friggin rock solid.

This method is great for making that really pretty and even coil and the burn of the coil prior to inserting a wick will kinda preemptively start breaking in the coil.

Note: When doing this method, one needs to be careful and make sure that the wick is loose enough to slide in but tight enough to still make contact with each coil wrap. A lil bit of juice on the wick as you slide it in the coil make for a nice kinda lubricant.

Also, This method will work great as long as the wick is properly oxidized.

I have come to find out that my little/no success with this method in the past is because I have been over-oxidizing the wick . When over oxidized the pressure of sliding the wick into the coil would scrape away the brittle oxidized layer and boom, big time short. I ended up going with JackFrost method and giving a light torchin unrolled before I rolled up my wick and have had 3 solid wicks on 3 different atty's with no paper or cotton trick.......yeah dawg!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread