• Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Duplicate post

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I don't think this is a "simple solution" kind of post, and I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but just a few pieces of advice.

Depending on the diameter of your nail you're PROBABLY running 0.2ohms, and I really hope you have batteries that can handle the amp draw. I say probably because it's impossible to guess, which is why you SHOULD NOT run builds that haven't been metered out. If you don't have a meter, buy one, or don't build your own coils. Have you seen what can happen when a battery is pushed beyond it's limits? It's not pretty.

curtis smith

May 25, 2015
I don't think this is a "simple solution" kind of post, and I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but just a few pieces of advice.

Depending on the diameter of your nail you're PROBABLY running 0.2ohms, and I really hope you have batteries that can handle the amp draw. I say probably because it's impossible to guess, which is why you SHOULD NOT run builds that haven't been metered out. If you don't have a meter, buy one, or don't build your own coils. Have you seen what can happen when a battery is pushed beyond it's limits? It's not pretty.
Your right. I'm new on this site, well vaping in general, and this is the only place I can post for now. Will the vape shops around me rebuild it? And how do i figure out what ohm I should have for my battery?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Your right. I'm new on this site, well vaping in general, and this is the only place I can post for now. Will the vape shops around me rebuild it? And how do i figure out what ohm I should have for my battery?

Some shops will build coils for you, but if you're going to use RBA's it's best to learn about them for yourself. First and foremost, get an ohm meter. The only way to accurately know what resistance a build is, is to test it, otherwise it's just guessing and hoping.

We can help get you started though. What batteries are you using?

Side note: The shop that sold you your equipment and built your first coils really should have taken the time to explain a lot of this stuff to you, for your safety, and their liability. Unfortunately many don't. I apologize if I sound harsh, it's just that you're using a potential pipe bomb, and I'd hate for you to get hurt.

ETA: for the five posts, they only need to be posts, replies count. Don't start multiple threads, especially on the same subject. They'll just close them and reset your post count anyway. Once you have five posts, the servers update at 25 minutes past the hour.

curtis smith

May 25, 2015
Don't worry Lessifer, this will likely get moved to 'Not Advisable' when the mod's get here.

OP, what you are doing is very dangerous. Please be careful.

Don't worry Lessifer, this will likely get moved to 'Not Advisable' when the mod's get here.

OP, what you are doing is very dangerous. Please be careful.
That's why I'm here. I'm new to all of this. My friend rebuilds his so I figured it was a piece of cake. Well I was wrong. And thanks for your input and concern.

curtis smith

May 25, 2015
Some shops will build coils for you, but if you're going to use RBA's it's best to learn about them for yourself. First and foremost, get an ohm meter. The only way to accurately know what resistance a build is, is to test it, otherwise it's just guessing and hoping.

We can help get you started though. What batteries are you using?

Side note: The shop that sold you your equipment and built your first coils really should have taken the time to explain a lot of this stuff to you, for your safety, and their liability. Unfortunately many don't. I apologize if I sound harsh, it's just that you're using a potential pipe bomb, and I'd hate for you to get hurt.

ETA: for the five posts, they only need to be posts, replies count. Don't start multiple threads, especially on the same subject. They'll just close them and reset your post count anyway. Once you have five posts, the servers update at 25 minutes past the hour.
I understand fully. Your not being harsh at all, your concern is welcoming. My battery is a 3.7 volt.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I understand fully. Your not being harsh at all, your concern is welcoming. My battery is a 3.7 volt.
Most 18650 batteries are 3.7v, what you need to know are the brand and model of the battery. If you don't see a brand and/or model number, look for some machine printed text, it might be barely visible through the battery wrapper. There are a few different types of chemistry batteries, some good for vaping, some not. There are also big differences between different battery brand/models, some can handle 20amps, about what a 0.2 build would draw, and many that can't and could vent violently.

curtis smith

May 25, 2015
Most 18650 batteries are 3.7v, what you need to know are the brand and model of the battery. If you don't see a brand and/or model number, look for some machine printed text, it might be barely visible through the battery wrapper. There are a few different types of chemistry batteries, some good for vaping, some not. There are also big differences between different battery brand/models, some can handle 20amps, about what a 0.2 build would draw, and many that can't and could vent violently.
I took a picture but it said it was to large to upload. There is machine printed text on it. No brand name, and its in a light yellow wrapping.

curtis smith

May 25, 2015
Ok, well that's good. Those are LG 18650 HE4 batteries, Max Continuous Discharge rating of 20amps, so they are good batteries.

I still wouldn't personally run them at 0.2
Ok. So when I go to the shop tomorrow I guess I'll have them explain some things, get an ohm reader. And walk me through some stuff.

Reactions: Lessifer

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Curtis, please get an ohm reader and read up on Ohms Law and how it relates to battery safety. Baditude, our resident battery expert, has an entire blog that I suggest you get intimate with.

Here you go: (18) Baditude's Blogs | E-Cigarette Forum

Everything that will help you begins with #9.

curtis smith

May 25, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread