i have an issue with my smok stick v8

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
For the price point and features you get, I'm not actually sure there is. For using sub0hm they really do have a lot of options. I'm not a smoke user, I did briefly use a Cleto tank and I can't speak to differences in vape, but that tank (and the coils) were very reliable and hassle free, and the tank isn't really a leaker....

I do think folks who are able to make smok setups work for them often really like them, however. I don't think smok has issues with all their coils, but only a few of them... I used to really say I thought they weren't a "good" option and I don't really say that as much anymore, because there really are a lot of people using smok products and liking them a great deal, there are just a few known tank or mod difficulties, and TBH if you get a reliable smok product it can be a really good experience, so I have heard....

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
well actually i'm planning on buying a g priv mod and a tfv12 with his rba section so i can buy some fused clapton coils when the coils are done
i bought the smok stick v8 like 2 months ago but it came only right now cause of shipping problems
i really do like smok products but i see a lot of people that don't
is there's a good company that makes the same kind of stuff like smok does?
Well lots and lots of company makes mods and sub 0hm stuff..... if you mean a touchscreen mod yes there is and in fact there's a gpriv 2 btw.
only 2 ts mods i know are : smoant charron ts 218 (something like that at least)
and joyetech makes one named the cuboid i believe,watch out though they have 2 versions of it,one with an integrated battery and one without. Tanks wise....Well sky is the limit anything is better than smok imo anyway.

Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Smok makes great box mods but not tanks if you wanna stay with premade sub ohm coils get the clieto 120 great coil life

Smoke rba sucks wicking goes fast

Those pen style sticks suck
I use the baby rba and wicking lasts minimum 1 week with gunky juice so i've got no idea what you're saying. The real reason i wouldn't buy it is mostly the difficulty of building on it,which is mostly because of it's size that is too small for what it's worth.

Last edited:

fifamymaingame

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2017
Colorado
  • Deleted by lamarrk
  • Reason: Off topic.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Week isn't long
With sweeter type of liquid most drop in coils don't even last that long.
i could go 2 weeks or more with a more "normal" liquid.

Also doubt you know much about rbas as a whole. Recommending a cleito tank ? really lmfao and smok's mod have nothing better to offer than any other manufacturer, plus stick batteries don't suck they're made for people who want to use them,just because you don't like em dosen't mean a product sucks. Please get your facts straight or at least make sense if you're to disagree about something.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
It's unfortunate but it's a thing on smok's coil they give nice flavor and clouds but they don't last very long

I get these knockoffs they seem to work better/better quality control than authentic ones and are dirt cheap... Although not very suited for the V8 stick since the ohm's are a bit to high to get a good vape on it without wattage control.

$4.64 Replacement V8 BABY-Q2 Coil Head for SMOK TFV8 BABY Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack - 0.4ohm (40-80W/BEST:55-65W) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I get these knockoffs they seem to work better/better quality control than authentic ones and are dirt cheap...

$4.64 Replacement V8 BABY-Q2 Coil Head for SMOK TFV8 BABY Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack - 0.4ohm (40-80W/BEST:55-65W) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Great find but i don't use smok's drop in coils wether originals or clones,i use the rba base as a temporary solution while i decide on which rta i'm getting since cotton is cheaper than any drop in coils in the long run. I don't even really like the tfv8 to be quite honest,i find they don't last long at all (even with the hole poking trick) But hey if anyone else uses them that's still an awesome find !

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Great find but i don't use smok's drop in coils wether originals or clones,i use the rba base as a temporary solution while i decide on which rta i'm getting since cotton is cheaper than any drop in coils in the long run. I don't even really like the tfv8 to be quite honest,i find they don't last long at all (even with the hole poking trick) But hey if anyone else uses them that's still an awesome find !
I use them when I travel which is fairly often so I don't have to bring my build kit with me, I don't actually have the Baby Beast however the coils fit my Eleaf Ello tank as well.. A buck a coil 2 packs is still cheaper than a 13$ pack of smokes lols.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
i really do like smok products but i see a lot of people that don't

This is just my humble opinion.....

If you like the Smok products you are currently using, why not continue until you start running into problems if you ever do? Yes, there are a number of anti-Smok posts here as well as elsewhere on the web. Maybe their percent of "problems" are not higher then their competitors? Look closely at those complaints and make your judgement whether an actual defective product is the reason or if user error or faulty other components play a substantial part. Just don't let negative posts, especially those by vapers with little/no first hand experience with a brand, scare you away from something you may find to be your best vape!

I sound like a Smok "fan boy" and maybe I am since I own a fair amount. 5 mods, 9 tanks, and an RTA. Not a single problem with any of them, although I prefer my Griffin 25 RTA over the Smok G2. And daily I mix in my Atlantis tanks, Kanger tanks, and drippers as my mood dictates. Have I compared my Smok stuff to everything else? Of course not! But I have compared it to enough that I know It gives me what I want in a vape. And I have to believe there are many others that feel the same way.

Bottom line: Are you ready to abandon an entire line of products based on limited and some times unsubstantiated information?

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada

Bottom line: Are you ready to abandon an entire line of products based on limited and some times unsubstantiated information?

If people are rough on devices like phones etc smok are probably not suited to you or many wismec as well, the biggest downfall is the press fitted 510's, drop your mod, apply too much pressure and the press fitting comes loose, juice starts dripping through it and short circuits the mod. Honestly what they should be doing is both get better 510's and coat the boards so there's a lower chance of short circuit, the AL85 is one of the worst they've released, they had problems before that but a lot of hype was built because of the pico style and a lot of people got ...... off.

I tend to stay away from mods with issues, I don't really care how new they are as long as they are comfortable to hold and work for me, it's the hype train that is allowing crappy mods to be released, shinyitis is killing the industry, oh look a new mod 10,000 units sold in a matter of days without knowing if it's a dud.. Sigh.. So companies are constantly pushing out new products because people are buying them up like crack...

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Smok makes great box mods but not tanks if you wanna stay with premade sub ohm coils get the clieto 120 great coil life

They sell lot of both. But not a day goes by here on ECF when there aren't multiple threads from newbies asking for help for a fried Smok something or the other.

It seems that Smok products do best in the hands of experienced vapers.

Smoke rba sucks wicking goes fast

Those pen style sticks suck

Experience will show that any wick goes fast with the sickly sweet stuff commercial liquid vendors are selling today.

Experience will also show that the pen-style rigs like the Evod II, Joyetech AIO and Innokin Endura are the best option for new vapers. Pencils down, heads up, class dismissed.

Vape shops are doing their new customers a disservice by foisting off Smok and Wismec multiple battery mods as "starter kits."

For one thing, the shops match them up with batteries that have no chance of ever firing the mod at its specified top end. For another, they're selling temp control capable mods to kids (18-24 is still a kid) that wouldn't know a Nickel or Titanium coil if it roundhoused their wobbly heads. And last of all, the poor newb leaves the store $80 or so poorer with a device they don't know how to use and will end up in a drawer in a few months. And a few months is a stretch.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

If you like the Smok products you are currently using, why not continue until you start running into problems if you ever do? Yes, there are a number of anti-Smok posts here as well as elsewhere on the web. Maybe their percent of "problems" are not higher then their competitors? Look closely at those complaints and make your judgement whether an actual defective product is the reason or if user error or faulty other components play a substantial part. Just don't let negative posts, especially those by vapers with little/no first hand experience with a brand, scare you away from something you may find to be your best vape!

I sound like a Smok "fan boy" and maybe I am since I own a fair amount. 5 mods, 9 tanks, and an RTA. Not a single problem with any of them, although I prefer my Griffin 25 RTA over the Smok G2. And daily I mix in my Atlantis tanks, Kanger tanks, and drippers as my mood dictates. Have I compared my Smok stuff to everything else? Of course not! But I have compared it to enough that I know It gives me what I want in a vape. And I have to believe there are many others that feel the same way.

Honestly, I believe the volume of complaints is probably due to the volume of devices and tanks Smok sells, not necessarily a lack of attention to QC. I'm not one to confuse correlation with causation. I do however believe that many of the advanced features on Smok devices (and Eleaf, and Wismec, and Sigelei, and...) are way too much for newbies.

Sending someone home with $80 worth of gear, batteries, liquids and a charger--none of which they've ever even seen before--is dumbassery at its finest.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
One thing that I think must be kept in mind is government's influence on the industry. What other product/industry has faced the threat of "get it on the market by" or you are forever done introducing a new product? Add to that having competitors all trying to get "the latest ands greatest" out first and we are surprised that some things falling short of perfect are hitting the market?

I agree with @Coastal Cowboy that many complaints are coming from new or fairly new vapers, many that are due to not even knowing the basics of vaping. And I understand what he is saying about vape shops (although I prefer stating some vape shops), but I think that blame should be shared with online vendors who never ask questions or give advice. After all, many posts on this board chastise anybody for spending more at a B&M.

If people are rough on devices like phones etc smok are probably not suited to you or many wismec as well, the biggest downfall is the press fitted 510's, drop your mod, apply too much pressure and the press fitting comes loose, juice starts dripping through it and short circuits the mod. Honestly what they should be doing is both get better 510's and coat the boards so there's a lower chance of short circuit, the AL85 is one of the worst they've released, they had problems before that but a lot of hype was built because of the pico style and a lot of people got ...... off.

As far as I am concerned, once your mod has been bounced off the concrete, you have no room to complain! Can/does that happen? Absolutely! But I don't believe that falls within "its intended use" which most products require for warranty purposes. Some will survive drops better then others, but you drop it and it breaks? That's on you.

As far as any 510 issues, I am not familiar with ongoing complaints with Smok although some other brands have had some.

This is not exclusive to the AL85, but wanted to mention. While it may not apply to everybody, I have yet to find that one mod that fills my every vaping need (or want). I have and like the AL85, but only for short trips out and about running a tank at 30 watts or so. I would not suggest it as the only mod for somebody wanting to run at 60 watts and expect long battery life. The solution for me is multiple mods for multiple situations, although I do have one now that pretty much covers all my vaping needs.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
As far as I am concerned, once your mod has been bounced off the concrete, you have no room to complain! Can/does that happen? Absolutely! But I don't believe that falls within "its intended use" which most products require for warranty purposes. Some will survive drops better then others, but you drop it and it breaks? That's on you.

The problem is not all press fittings are the same and neither all atty's, something like putting your atty on too tight can spin some of the 510's eventually weakening the solder/press fitting causing the 510 to disconnect/short all solved by having a nut on the bottom of the 510 instead of just a press fitting, mods are used quite a bit, mines in my hand half the day lol and if one of the main components, the main connection is shotty the whole thing is no matter what you put in it.

It's a very simple fix to stop 80% of the complaints, I've helped design/technically test mods in the past and the companies I've worked with definitely solve issues like this right away.. It's a straight up design flaw and there's definitely nothing wrong with making a product as durable as your competitors.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It does seem true that a lot of smok users having problems are new users. Complaining about coil life if running really sweet or dark juices means not finding anther DEVICE or COIL, but maybe a different juice. I have a storebought coco that will kill a coil on day one, or day 13, it really doesn't matter. People have to be aware of their gunking factors and work within that, or be willing to have a few RTA/RDAs set up for their really sweet, dark juices... IMO.

I have seen a lot of complaints about smok, but they do seem to be a particularly popular device or setup, to new users, who may not be able to handle using them. I think there are some lemons, maybe, like any company, but I think there's also been a LOT of lack of knowledge/trying to do too much with a device too soon, etc., as well. I don't think it's fair to write off smok (though I will happily write off Kangertech, but I've owned some of those products) and even then, they may not be right for *me* (I am clumsy)... but some folks swear by them.

I will say a few particular lines of smok coils seem to be giving a lot of hurt, I think that one coil (is it the 8 coil? I'm thinking that or the quad) is probably not the best coil design, but there is a fix that seems to help, so....

IDK. I'm neutral about smok these days, and I see many satisfied users, not just the ones with issues. Since I'm unlikely to purchase a sub0hm setup, I really *should* be neutral, and I see plenty of satisfied folks, not just unhappy ones...

Also, if you expect your very first device to be perfect, up your alley, and incredible? Well, that didn't happen with *my* first device, either, because it was a sub0hm setup and not what I needed... etc. It's unrealistic to think that the perfect vape is available upon purchase number one, not unless you do a TON of research FIRST, and sometimes not even then.

I don't think all vape shops are bad, but I do think that some will go after the quick "the best" sale, not necessarily thinking about that particular vaper's needs....

Anna

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I take coil complaints with a grain of salt. Too many times a poster is not clear on whether proper procedures were used or which coil was used. Smok has so many tanks and coils it can be confusing. A post like "I put a new coil in my TFV8 and it tastes burnt" leaves a lot of unknowns. But it qualifies (to some) as yet another Smok products are bad post.

MajorArtz

Sep 12, 2017
Well lots and lots of company makes mods and sub 0hm stuff..... if you mean a touchscreen mod yes there is and in fact there's a gpriv 2 btw.
only 2 ts mods i know are : smoant charron ts 218 (something like that at least)
and joyetech makes one named the cuboid i believe,watch out though they have 2 versions of it,one with an integrated battery and one without. Tanks wise....Well sky is the limit anything is better than smok imo anyway.
i saw the g priv 2 but i don't know if i want it cause i'm planning on buying the tfv12 rba edition with it
so i think it's too small and it will an overhang and it wont look that good...

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
i saw the g priv 2 but i don't know if i want it cause i'm planning on buying the tfv12 rba edition with it
so i think it's too small and it will an overhang and it wont look that good...
At the end of the day i made my suggestions what you buy is your choice,i haven't heard alot of positive concerning the tfv12 (mostly because it's overpriced and overkill) imho get an rta instead it's cheaper and they probably will work better than a tfv12 with rba (saying this as i have a tfv8 with rba base right now),then again that's just me.

MajorArtz

Sep 12, 2017
At the end of the day i made my suggestions what you buy is your choice,i haven't heard alot of positive concerning the tfv12 (mostly because it's overpriced and overkill) imho get an rta instead it's cheaper and they probably will work better than a tfv12 with rba (saying this as i have a tfv8 with rba base right now),then again that's just me.
like i wanna get an rta but i think i'm a smok fanboy XD
is there an rta you can suggest me that will look good with the g priv gold edition and that it will make some good clouds?
cause i'm one of those cloud chasers and i wanna vape at high wattages :D

MajorArtz

Sep 12, 2017
and i actually saw the coil master genesis rdta and it seems pretty good but i don't know if it's such a cloud maker...
(oh, and it has a 6ml capacity like the tfv12 so that's why i like it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread