Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
A real man would already have a weapon in his pocket - no need for provape's assistance.

Prior apologies to women`s rights, men`s rights, the left, the right, the middle, the middle east, the east of eden.....etc
I have a CCW for my brain. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Opinionated

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Now, I don't understand sub ohm vaping (although I find it necessary to learn about it to have the ability to help others) but I don't have to understand where the enjoyment comes from, all I really need to know is that some people like it, and I need to learn it properly to help the kids.

And I think it's more complicated because what is really meant, generally, by sub-ohm vaping, at least in this context, isn't quite what you'd think it would mean. I mean, if I put a 0.7 ohm coil in a Nautilus 2 (and that's generally what comes installed in them,) especially if I don't open up the airflow a lot, technically I'm sub-ohm vaping, but in reality I'm going to use pretty low wattage, and what I'll be doing is a lot more like what we tend to think of as super-ohm vaping than it is like more extreme "sub-ohm" vaping.

But there are a lot of variables involved, and I suppose 'sub-ohm' is useful short-hand, as long as you recognize that it is just short-hand. I think that the terminology really came about because of the way mech mods work, but in a world of largely regulated VW mods it could be a bit misleading.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
And I think it's more complicated because what is really meant, generally, by sub-ohm vaping, at least in this context, isn't quite what you'd think it would mean. I mean, if I put a 0.7 ohm coil in a Nautilus 2 (and that's generally what comes installed in them,) especially if I don't open up the airflow a lot, technically I'm sub-ohm vaping, but in reality I'm going to use pretty low wattage, and what I'll be doing is a lot more like what we tend to think of as super-ohm vaping than it is like more extreme "sub-ohm" vaping.

But there are a lot of variables involved, and I suppose 'sub-ohm' is useful short-hand, as long as you recognize that it is just short-hand. I think that the terminology really came about because of the way mech mods work, but in a world of largely regulated VW mods it could be a bit misleading.

Yes, it useful short hand.. yes, I think everyone realizes it as short hand dear.

Reactions: Fad

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture

Yes, it useful short hand.. yes, I think everyone realizes it as short hand dear.

I don't understand. It's not short hand really.
You are vaping under an ohm. So whatever wattage you're still sub-ohm. Right?

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA

Yeah, and that is sort of what I was getting at. In the context of this thread, using a 0.7 coil in a Nautilus 2 with high nic, maybe higher PG juice, and the airflow turned down, at 12 Watts, for instance, isn't really what people mean by sub-ohm vaping.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Yeah, and that is sort of what I was getting at. In the context of this thread, using a 0.7 coil in a Nautilus 2 with high nic, maybe higher PG juice, and the airflow turned down, at 12 Watts, for instance, isn't really what people mean by sub-ohm vaping.

More fool them.
I understand what your saying though, but it seems to be more of a catchphrase, a sound bite.
Either way you are sub-ohm vaping.
If someone wants to believe your hitting your nautilus @ 60 watts on a mech that's up to them ;)

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
More fool them.
I understand what your saying though, but it seems to be more of a catchphrase, a sound bite.
Either way you are sub-ohm vaping.
If someone wants to believe your hitting your nautilus @ 60 watts on a mech that's up to them ;)

Sure, and that's what I meant by short-hand. And it's useful short-hand, as long as everyone understands what it means. There are a lot of inter-related variables here, like airflow, wattage, voltage, resistance, nic levels, VG/PG, etc, and a description of some pretty basic division of them that listed them wouldn't roll off the tongue very easily.

And most people who have been posting here for a while pretty much understand these variables, how they interact, and this short-hand. It is potentially a bit confusing for the new vaper who might see that the Nautilus 2 comes with a 0.7 ohm coil installed and thinks it's a sub-ohm tank.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
You are correct. This is a tank capable of sub and + ohm coils though.

It is more of a selling point like upstairs said.
In any first purchase you are susceptible to mistakes but the aim is for aspire to sell more gear, not worry so much about your interpretation of the wording.

As well, the majority of people who purchase such tanks (not everyone) are beginners and so the nautilus would be perfect no matter what the ohm reading is, so I doubt it's a big problem.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Yep, sub ohm = .999999Ω or below, a.k.a. anything under 1.0Ω.

Any 'tank' type delivery device that can use a subΩ coil or head is a sub ohm 'tank'.
Does a sub ohm 'tank' magically change its name to above or plus ohm 'tank' when the owner uses an above ohm coil or head in it?

The measure of resistance has nothing to do with airflow, mtl, dtl, power range used, pg/vg ratio, nic mg/ml, inefficient sooperfancymega coils & heads, bro cloudz or immense consumption of e liquid.

Of course, that is just the way I see it.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
The measure of resistance has nothing to do with airflow, mtl, dtl, power range used, pg/vg ratio, nic mg/ml, inefficient sooperfancymega coils & heads, bro cloudz or immense consumption of e liquid.

Which is my point. In general we use the term 'sub-ohm vaping' to describe certain combinations of those factors, rather than as a term that describes the resistance involved.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yikes,
I hope davep didn`t take that as being a personal comment and not notice it was a generalised dig at hormone crazed neanderthals.

Prior apologies to neanderthals and the hirsute generally.

I took it at as a chance to crack a joke, not a head! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Opinionated

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I agree.

I'm sub ohm with my .78 ohm coil at 2.79 volts/10W in TC mode with a 400F limit. No clouds because it's 70pg in the tank. There's really good flavor, though. It's the 10 wrap, slightly spaced 2mm coil that enhances the flavor. Lots of contact along the length of the wick.

If it was 100% VG in the tank the room would be foggy.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I agree.

I'm sub ohm with my .78 ohm coil at 2.79 volts/10W in TC mode with a 400F limit. No clouds because it's 70pg in the tank. There's really good flavor, though. It's the 10 wrap, slightly spaced 2mm coil that enhances the flavor. Lots of contact along the length of the wick.

If it was 100% VG in the tank the room would be foggy.

You tootie puffer you! :smokie:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I believe I started a thread not so long ago Why do we still call them mods when 90 odd percent of them aren't? I can't remember the answer now.

It all goes back to the early days when vapers began to drill holes, try new battery combinations, and play with coil resistance and air flow to get a better vape. Aquarium foam (fluval) on the end of a cocktail stirrer was once used in eGo atomizers to get more juice to the coil. Tea bag material was an experiment rolled up and substituted for cotton in eGO carts. Eventually, someone put two 18650's in a tube and screwed an atomizer on the end and the mech mod exploded from that point. The Provari grew from early ideas and experiments and the market took off with variable voltage.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Early cloud makers ...

1200px-Zeeboid_burnout.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread