I hesitate to post this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
never used an REO but they just look like a innokin MVP to me. Im sure im wrong and that's just what the outsides look like but whys everyone like them so much? sincere question I really don't know anything about them

I'd say look around REOville a bit. It's not even remotely close to a MVP besides shape. And that's where the similarities stop.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
It's easier for China to clone something & so quick when the original product is CM'd in China to begin with. Good thing REOs aren't manufactured in China.

Good point. I don't think there's any direct Provari knockoff either, though they try to steal the name sometimes.

Also good points about the cost of manufacture and profit margins. Tube mods can be knocked out by the bucket load on a CNC lathe by someone with very little skill or training once it is set up. The Reo is milling and fitting - doesn't lend itself to mass production so much.

If they did it, they would probably cast it with a view to selling a few million units per year. Not gonna happen anytime soon. Wasn't there a plastic bottom feeder at one point? Poor reliability and it disappeared. I think the Reo is safe.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
As far as the hand-made woods... labor intensive and requires special skill. They just aren't something that can be turned out in a factory.

As far as the metal REOs... Rob ain't gettin' rich on what he charges for them. I know a bit about what the aluminum costs and also have a really good idea about what his machine shop must charge (part of the business I work for does CNC work). I've also had a few things anodized... Not even the Chinese could make money cloning metal REOs while even half-heartedly attempting to give the appearance of similar quality.

Other materials like plastic... Personally, I think Old Goat was the greatest REO salesman of all time... Don't get that statement wrong: Old Goat made hundreds of plastic box feeders - lots and lots of people (including me) bought one or more of them. The Old Goat feeder was my introduction to feeders and was the device that got me hooked. I don't know how many other people I've read saying the same thing on ECF. Missy's wet box - kens - the army tank - the kit madvapes had for a while... all of those cheap plastic feeders introduced people to feeders. And, none of those plastic feeders were built to last (not saying none survived - I am saying that none of them are built to survive). A lot of people bought REOs because they were hooked on feeders but needed one that was both durable and reliable. -- If a (or 'another' - depending on how you look at it) cheap plastic clone comes along, it will just introduce more people to feeders and make more people want a REO.

As to the other two feeders that get some attention - The Revolution2 and the Vmod... Well, the Revolution just isn't a very good product and the non-user-seviceable battery ensures the fact that owners of that device will eventually come looking for a REO... and the VMod... well, I try to be as generous as possible when discussing that device because it has some very vocal fanbois and a couple of very aggressive shills on ECF whom I've gotten a little sick of dealing with... but really, it's another one that has a strong likelihood of a minor mishap leaving its user unable to vape. That plastic insert just isn't going to last forever....

So, the end of the story is that: 1) Making a quality feeder ain't cheap even for China - 2) Anything less than REOs quality will sooner or later bring the user to REO.

NickSparc

Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
USA
I have to assume that it wouldn't be cost efficient - it's expensive to mill out a single block of aluminum, and requires fairly precise machining from high-quality mills. With the tube mods, they basically just have to buy ready-made tubes, cut the tubes to size, mill in threading, and slap a stolen logo on there. It's much less work, and they've become popular enough that they have a pretty easy market.
Bottom feed mods seem like a niche market, and since we all love the Reo so much, people are probably going to be led to Rob anyway.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Hello guys. I just got my Rio from Fast tek today. With shipping t came to $79 in 3 weeks. What kind of atomizer do you guys recommend for the best vape? I can't wait to start hit this bad boy. I no these are great mods because I've ben reading and lurking in hear four quite a while. Enny help you can give me wood be great. Thanks.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Hello guys. I just got my Rio from Fast tek today. With shipping t came to $79 in 3 weeks. What kind of atomizer do you guys recommend for the best vape? I can't wait to start hit this bad boy. I no these are great mods because I've ben reading and lurking in hear four quite a while. Enny help you can give me wood be great. Thanks.

Get your dumb azz outta my town. You are not welcomed here. Don't you ever show your face in the forum again. If I ever see you wander the streets of Reoville I'll take my Reo and hit you up side of your little pea brained empty head and crush it like an egg shell. There are bottom feeders and there are bottom feeders. You are in the same class as your bottom feeder. May cockroaches infest your ears and the fleas of 1000 camels infest your arm pits.

Last edited:

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Get your dumb azz outta my town. You are not welcomed here. Don't you ever show your face in the forum again. If I ever see you wander the streets of Reoville I take my Reo and hit you up side of your little pea brained empty head and crush it like an egg shell. There are bottom feeders and there are bottom feeders. You are in the same class as your bottom feeder. May cockroaches infest your ears and the fleas of 1000 camels infest your arm pits.

I don't understand why you are so hostile towards me .....

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Well, bottom feeders are still a niche product. Once they are mainstream you can be sure they will be directly copied and China can produce very good quality. Those copies will never really threaten the REOs, though, because you can not copy the REO family and you can not copy Robert - although I am sure he would like that =)

There is one thing that I would like to say, though - just because something is a bottom feeder does not mean it is a REO clone.

There are a couple bottom feeding devices made in Italy, for an example, and while they are somehow similar to REOs, they are - in my view - neither clones nor copies. They are just other bottom feeders.

dragonl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2013
Dragon Lair
Good point. I don't think there's any direct Provari knockoff either, though they try to steal the name sometimes.

Also good points about the cost of manufacture and profit margins. Tube mods can be knocked out by the bucket load on a CNC lathe by someone with very little skill or training once it is set up. The Reo is milling and fitting - doesn't lend itself to mass production so much.

If they did it, they would probably cast it with a view to selling a few million units per year. Not gonna happen anytime soon. Wasn't there a plastic bottom feeder at one point? Poor reliability and it disappeared. I think the Reo is safe.

Sorry, are u referring to vapage? The one with a plastic interior and a metal casing on the outside? That can't be from China. And i don't think it cannot last like a Reo do. Haha, and i still don't own a Reo. But i totally have faith in it.

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

dragonl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2013
Dragon Lair
As far as the hand-made woods... labor intensive and requires special skill. They just aren't something that can be turned out in a factory.

As far as the metal REOs... Rob ain't gettin' rich on what he charges for them. I know a bit about what the aluminum costs and also have a really good idea about what his machine shop must charge (part of the business I work for does CNC work). I've also had a few things anodized... Not even the Chinese could make money cloning metal REOs while even half-heartedly attempting to give the appearance of similar quality.

Other materials like plastic... Personally, I think Old Goat was the greatest REO salesman of all time... Don't get that statement wrong: Old Goat made hundreds of plastic box feeders - lots and lots of people (including me) bought one or more of them. The Old Goat feeder was my introduction to feeders and was the device that got me hooked. I don't know how many other people I've read saying the same thing on ECF. Missy's wet box - kens - the army tank - the kit madvapes had for a while... all of those cheap plastic feeders introduced people to feeders. And, none of those plastic feeders were built to last (not saying none survived - I am saying that none of them are built to survive). A lot of people bought REOs because they were hooked on feeders but needed one that was both durable and reliable. -- If a (or 'another' - depending on how you look at it) cheap plastic clone comes along, it will just introduce more people to feeders and make more people want a REO.

As to the other two feeders that get some attention - The Revolution2 and the Vmod... Well, the Revolution just isn't a very good product and the non-user-seviceable battery ensures the fact that owners of that device will eventually come looking for a REO... and the VMod... well, I try to be as generous as possible when discussing that device because it has some very vocal fanbois and a couple of very aggressive shills on ECF whom I've gotten a little sick of dealing with... but really, it's another one that has a strong likelihood of a minor mishap leaving its user unable to vape. That plastic insert just isn't going to last forever....

So, the end of the story is that: 1) Making a quality feeder ain't cheap even for China - 2) Anything less than REOs quality will sooner or later bring the user to REO.

True, very true indeed. Anyone will go on the cheap just to see if they will love the real thing. It is an investment after all.

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
I wouldn't buy one...ever. Maybe recommend them to someone on the fence about a Reo but don't want to chip in the big bucks yet. MAYBE.
The Reo I could see being done ~okay~ but a clone RM2 would be dead on arrival, guaranteed.
I doubt if a lot of Chinese manufacturers know about the Reo actually, it has a relatively small following and seem to be mostly residing in the States. Although, I could be very wrong about this.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
I wouldn't buy one...ever. Maybe recommend them to someone on the fence about a Reo but don't want to chip in the big bucks yet. MAYBE.
The Reo I could see being done ~okay~ but a clone RM2 would be dead on arrival, guaranteed.
I doubt if a lot of Chinese manufacturers know about the Reo actually, it has a relatively small following and seem to be mostly residing in the States. Although, I could be very wrong about this.
You realize that the RM2 is actually a slightly modified Chinese mass produced atomizer?

Vapolith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was showing a friend of mine my Reos and he told a buddy of his about them. His buddy was thinking about buying one, and somehow got the idea that the patent holder for the Reo was in China, and that they had Rob make the Reos for them, lol! I directed him to the "You are being cloned as we speak" thread. :D

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
never used an REO but they just look like a innokin MVP to me. Im sure im wrong and that's just what the outsides look like but whys everyone like them so much? sincere question I really don't know anything about them

MVP is just VV/VW battery, This is a complete system that gives the taste and vapor of dripping and is easier than dealing with a tank. Plus it's built to take a huge amount of abuse and still perform. It is also easy to completely rebuild.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California

Get your dumb azz outta my town. You are not welcomed here. Don't you ever show your face in the forum again. If I ever see you wander the streets of Reoville I'll take my Reo and hit you up side of your little pea brained empty head and crush it like an egg shell. There are bottom feeders and there are bottom feeders. You are in the same class as your bottom feeder. May cockroaches infest your ears and the fleas of 1000 camels infest your arm pits.

I don't understand why you are so hostile towards me .....

If I gotta do splaining to you about this you wouldn't get it anyway. OUT, OUT, GET OUT!

LOL. This goes into my Reoville Hall of Fame bookmark folder! :)

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
Wasn't there a plastic bottom feeder at one point? Poor reliability and it disappeared. I think the Reo is safe.

Missy's wet box!

wetbox.jpg

I have a few sitting on my cabinet shelf from 3 years ago. I might have to throw a RM2 on it to see what it does!:ohmy: God I hated this mod!

zhentipede

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
California, USA
i wouln't mind a reo clone to play with...probably easier if multiple panels used and screwed together like stainless or aluminum..

wooden ones will be sweet using some nice kiln dried wood using diff. variety teak , cherrywood, narra, kamagong, cedar...

actually im planning on making one out of cedar in the very Far future i wanna use the provari chip on it =)

i just wish reo and provari had as a joint project =) reo bottom feed with provari electronics... i saw a post not too long ago somebody had converted his Reo grand to variable using dna 20 chip and it utrned out great! personally i would Love to have a reo with provari electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread