Status
Not open for further replies.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
a7e861a6b10f8d19c1b6cb4d7a9925ed.jpg
These are simple clapton coils at 0.15 ohms..
I pulse these at 40w in short bursts, getting them to turn red from the center out, make adjustments if needed....bump up to 45w on final burn for about 10 seconds...never had a leg get cut or break using the velocity style decks I prefer these days..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChelsB

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ebay, limited description, never heard sanvik mentioned.

There wire we use is just So Inexpensive on the wholesale level when you consider what 1 Coil Cost. Kinda Silly to Skimp on Materials at that point. Cause you just aint making much Extra Money.

Especially if people are not coming back and buying More coils.

BTW - What does "Sanvik" have to do with anything?

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
a7e861a6b10f8d19c1b6cb4d7a9925ed.jpg
These are simple clapton coils at 0.15 ohms..
I pulse these at 40w in short bursts, getting them to turn red from the center out, make adjustments if needed....bump up to 45w on final burn for about 10 seconds...never had a leg get cut or break using the velocity style decks I prefer these days..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Quite a bit of difference between a single 1+ ohm coil and a .3 clapton, though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
There wire we use is just So Inexpensive on the wholesale level when you consider what 1 Coil Cost. Kinda Silly to Skimp on Materials at that point. Cause just just aint making much Extra Money.

Especially if people are not coming back and buying More Coils.

BTW - What does Sanvik have to do with anything?
Ever hear of kidney puncher? Twisted messes? Sanvik makes the wire. Anyone using quality wire will tell you. Anyone using something else probably won't.
I make it known to all my customers that I use Sandvik because it's the best wire and it really doesn't wear out. A simple 28g coil can last 6 months if it's taken care of and it's good wire.
Odds are it's LV wire or something similar.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Anyone using quality wire will tell you. Anyone using something else probably won't.

I've been using Temco wire for years--bought directly from Temco--never had a problem with their wire.

@ChelsB It's still weird that they should break like this--even at 10 watts and 5 sec intervals. I never used premade coils (I prefer to make my own), but I know many vapers who get ready made coils from Fasttech and swear by them.

Have you tried FT coils?

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I've been using Temco wire for years--bought directly from Temco--never had a problem with their wire.

@ChelsB It's still weird that they should break like this--even at 10 watts and 5 sec intervals. I never used premade coils (I prefer to make my own), but I know many vapers who get ready made coils from Fasttech and swear by them.

Have you tried FT coils?

thanks! As a matter of fact, I just got some! Haven't tried them yet . Guess it's time to see if they're better quality![emoji4]

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016

Have you tried FT coils?
You're probably not making the point you think. Temco is also Sandvik.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ever hear of kidney puncher? Twisted messes? Sanvik makes the wire. Anyone using quality wire will tell you. Anyone using something else probably won't.
I make it known to all my customers that I use Sandvik because it's the best wire and it really doesn't wear out. A simple 28g coil can last 6 months if it's taken care of and it's good wire.
Odds are it's LV wire or something similar.

Sandvik owns the Registered Trademark name of Kanthal(s). And holds a US Patent for the Varies respective Alloys of Kanthal.

Does that that a Authentic Kanthal Coil better than a Clone Kanthal Coil?

Dunno?

That's like asking if a $125 Authentic RDA is Better than it's $12 Dollar FT counterpart?

Highly Debatable in Many Peoples minds.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
thanks! As a matter of fact, I just got some! Haven't tried them yet . Guess it's time to see if they're better quality![emoji4]

Good luck.

And as others have said, go gently when dry burning--short, 2-sec bursts, low wattage, until they glow uniformly yellowish-orange. Don't overdo it. If the coil is new and you just want to burn off the impurities and check the coil build, a few pulses is enough.

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
Sandvik owns the Registered Trademark name of Kanthal(s). And holds a US Patent for the Varies respective Alloys of Kanthal.

Does that that a Authentic Kanthal Coil better than a Clone Kanthal Coil?

Dunno?

That's like asking if a $125 Authentic RDA is Better than it's $12 Dollar FT counterpart?

Highly Debatable in Many Peoples minds.
I'm a builder. I don't make simple coils.
I've gone through 1000s of feet of every wire company's spools I could find.
The good:
Temco, KP, TM, and a few others selling Sandvik with no/little branding. Coil Society has good wire but I don't know where it comes from. So does master of clouds and atomizer wick but CS is usually cheaper.
The bad:
LV and KBee

As far as clones go there are good ones and horrible ones.
I have 1 goon clone with PEEK which is good and another that is crap. Insulators melted first pulse.
Every clone cuts corners somewhere. I've welded for years and I can tell you this: Chinese metals are garbage compared to ours. Same for the wire. Full of impurities and slag.
Any one selling the cheapest attys and wire aren't using good metal to start with.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
The good:
Temco, KP, TM, and a few others selling Sandvik with no/little branding. Coil Society has good wire but I don't know where it comes from. So does master of clouds and atomizer wick but CS is usually cheaper.
The bad:
LV and KBee

I have 1 goon clone with PEEK which is good and another that is crap. Insulators melted first pulse.
Every clone cuts corners somewhere. I've welded for years and I can tell you this: Chinese metals are garbage compared to ours. Same for the wire. Full of impurities and slag.
Any one selling the cheapest attys and wire aren't using good metal to start with.

Thank you for that detailed description. Good information to know!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The good:
The bad:
LV and KBee

I'm just not willing to Jump on the "All Metal from China is Garbage" boat.

Some are. And Some Aren't.

I just know that before Sandvik started to Enforce their Trademark Rights, that a Lot of Coil Wire and Coils were used by people under the Kanthal name. And there wasn't much talk about Authentic vs Non-Authentic Kanthal.

Could be that ChelsB got some Junk Coils off e-Bay? Or maybe the Post Screws are crimping the Legs? Hard to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread