Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
This is from an e-mail I received today from the University of Kansas Hospital. Gee, I guess there are a lot of things I though I knew that are actually unknown. And I've been doing something wrong for the last 4 years because my vaping devices don't even have "cartridges." ;)

"It's important for people to understand that e-cigarettes exist in a grey zone as far as regulation goes," said Stephen Thornton, MD, toxicologist and medical director for The University of Kansas Hospital Poison Control Center. "If people are under the impression there is any quality control or safety measures, they're mistaken."

We've gathered what we do know and what we don't to best address these questions.

What are e-cigarettes?
  • There are many different brands. Those brands change often.
  • Most e-cigarettes are not manufactured in the U.S.
  • Each brand is a bit different, but most contain:
    • A battery
    • A heating coil
    • A vaporizing chamber
    • Cartridges that fit into that chamber
The cartridges are filled with a solution commonly called "e-liquid" or "e-juice." This solution typically contains variable amounts of nicotine usually dissolved in propylene glycol or a similar solvent. Sometimes these solutions have less or even more nicotine than regular cigarettes. They're also available in different strengths and flavors. Studies have shown that the listed strengths or concentrations of nicotine in these solutions may not be accurate.

How do they work?
The battery heats the liquid nicotine that's contained in the cartridge. The user then inhales the vapor from the heated liquid. This process is called "vaping."

Are e-cigarettes safe?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not yet test or regulate e-cigarettes. So the makers do not have to follow any quality-control guidelines or safety standards.

Right now, users of e-cigarettes have no way to know exactly what chemicals or materials they're made of. In addition, very little research has been conducted – particularly any long-term studies. What research has been discovered is alarming.

• Some cartridges contain cancer-causing ingredients and other toxic chemicals.
  • Most cartridges contain propylene glycol, which can irritate the lungs when inhaled.
  • E-cigarettes generate secondhand vapor, which has been shown in studies to contain nicotine, though usually at very low levels.
What don't we know about e-cigs?
Simply put, there are more things we don't know about e-cigarettes than we do.

• We don't know what materials are used to construct the tubes and the working parts of e-cigarettes.
  • We don't know what chemicals or their concentration in the liquids is used in the cartridges.
  • We don't know the immediate side effects or risks of inhaling the liquid.
  • We don't know the long-term health effects of e-cigarettes.
  • We don't know what's in the secondhand e-cigarette vapor and whether it's harmful.
In terms of cancer or lung damage, vaping with e-cigs might be safer than smoking traditional cigarettes because it doesn't involve burning material that causes disease.

"It's important to understand we are not saying it's safe," said Dr. Thornton. "We're saying it's safer. It's all relative risk – like choosing between jumping from a 20-foot building or a 40-foot building. Ideally, you would not do either."

- See more at: The Facts About E-cigarettes | The University of Kansas Hospital | Kansas City, KS

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Ideally, people without a single clue woudln't go spouting off their mouths about something that is utterly unknown to them. :facepalm: And yes, ideally, people would neither smoke nor vape -- but for the largest majority of smokers, not doing either is simply NOT AN OPTION, it's one of the other. I choose splashing in a puddle rather than jumping off that 40 ft bldg.

Andria

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Uh huh.

This pearl of wisdom came from the same medical establishment that, not too long ago, told you .........ion made you stupid, stunted your growth and made hair grow on the palms of your hands.

Last edited:

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY
Ideally, people without a single clue woudln't go spouting off their mouths about something that is utterly unknown to them. :facepalm: And yes, ideally, people would neither smoke nor vape -- but for the largest majority of smokers, not doing either is simply NOT AN OPTION, it's one of the other. I choose splashing in a puddle rather than jumping off that 40 ft bldg.

Andria

:facepalm: Ideally we would eat correctly and healthfully, not consume alcohol or caffeine, not sit at a desk all day, not inhale toxic exhaust from cars or off-gassing from furnishings, and avoid pretty much any activity involving modern life and conveniences. Sounds kind of like living in a commune where life ain't very fun.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
This pearl of wisdom came from the same medical establishment that, not too long ago, told you .........ion made you stupid, stunted your growth and made hair grow on the palms of your hands.

That's not true?

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Uh huh.

At long last I realize why I flunked out of HS, am only 4'10", and people don't want to shake my hand.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
OMG!!! The Sky Is Falling!!! The Earth Is Flat!!! E-cigs Are Worse Than Smokin' So Grab an Real Cig or a Chantix Cause The Good Dr Is Wise And Knows All!!!
except for anything he's talkin' about, that is. The BS sirens are goin' off again!
idiots like this fool really make me trust Dr's.

So does this fool have a name? He should be congratulated for enlightening folks with all of the 'research and evidence' he provided.:facepalm:

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
OMG!!! The Sky Is Falling!!! The Earth Is Flat!!! E-cigs Are Worse Than Smokin' So Grab an Real Cig or a Chantix Cause The Good Dr Is Wise And Knows All!!!
except for anything he's talkin' about, that is. The BS sirens are goin' off again!
idiots like this fool really make me trust Dr's.

So does this fool have a name? He should be congratulated for enlightening folks with all of the 'research and evidence' he provided.:facepalm:
He didn't actually state they're more dangerous unless I misread.... He claimed they're safer, but not not entirely safe....

Reactions: KentA

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
He didn't actually state they're more dangerous unless I misread.... He claimed they're safer, but not not entirely safe....

So pretty much like every single thing on planet Earth... including LIVING on planet Earth. Which goes around a solar-radiating star. :facepalm:

Andria

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
We don't know the immediate side effects or risks of inhaling the liquid.

^This^ gets the internet participation trophy of the day.

How many years of college did the good Doc attend to print something so ludicrous? I'm pretty sure you know the immediate side effects, immediately.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
Hey, I had a doctor tell me I had to have a pregnancy test after I stated I hadn't been in a relationship for 2 years. She actually told me that as long as I have a uterus I could have an immaculate conception.

What part medical school did she miss? Apparently it wasn't the 'gross income is everything' part.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hey, I had a doctor tell me I had to have a pregnancy test after I stated I hadn't been in a relationship for 2 years. She actually told me that as long as I have a uterus I could have an immaculate conception.

A doctor told you this... I could *maybe* understand it if a priest said it, but... a doctor...

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread