Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Oh, and these same ....tards rave on about the benefits of permanently mutilating our newborn sons' dicks because their foreskin (which should be their birthright) might cause them to have a 1 in a million theoretical chance of getting cancer.

Nah, I'll keep the 20,000 nerve endings and the ability to enjoy the body parts that nature blessed me with. And besides, who the .... owns anyone else's genitals? If anyone touched any of nephews I'd snap their necks like matchsticks.

I seriously would NOT be taking any advice from these guys. They are not interested in your health. More likely they are interested in their rich buddies and the vested interests they hold.

Sounds like your sympathies for your male childrens' eventual happiness echo my own. We don't follow any religion that dictates it, nor do we live in a desert without soap and running water; I told them if they mutilated my son, I would sue them -- they perk up and listen closely when they hear the "sue" word. My son is now 27 and still unmutilated. I told him that if he ever decides to have that mutilation done, at least as an adult, he will have the benefit of anesthesia -- unlike a newborn baby.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I carpet bomb naysayers. Have created a simply worded and clear canned response.
Feel free to use it yourselves. It is formatted at 72 character line length. That means
it'll work in most e-mail clients. It also includes a built in bozo filter.
Outstanding!

I'd love to put that on a card that I can hand out.
Text on the front, links on the back.

Might want to add a link to the Public Health England study too...
E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review - Press releases - GOV.UK

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Reactions: DC2

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
I'm gonna leave this here.

camel_doctors.jpg

I have this poster with a wooden frame, hanging in my living room. For all to see, and read. History is repeating itself.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
I'm gonna leave this here.

camel_doctors.jpg

I have this poster with a wooden frame, hanging in my living room. For all to see, and read. History is repeating itself.

My older brother and sister have both told me that their pediatrician (father of mine) smoked in the exam room when they were kids. WWII vet and missing fingers which grossed my sister out, brother probably thought it cool as I would have.

Reactions: Liskrig

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
All the smoking members of my family tried to discourage us children. "Never start this nasty thing, I do."

Growing up in rural VA, had no real chance. At one point it was the tobacco capital of the world. Now, it is the poultry capital, although the poultry industry also cranks out smokers. This is known from working in a poultry plant, poultry houses of two or three varying companies at differing times.

By the time I was thirteen, had been smoking at least six months solid. At that time once you were thirteen you could smoke, use tobacco with parental/guardian consent. My Paw Paw worked me on his small dairy at times as well. He would offer the old tin of Square snuff. "Hank it up your nose or put it in your lip, boy. It'll keep you going for a while."

Pap, loved his Red Man quids. Uncle Buddy smoked, still does. I was fifteen until mom caught on that I rubbed snuff, smoked. At least that's when I think she caught on. It was when she came into my bedroom as I had pinched up some Copenhagen and as she entered, I held it behind my back awaiting her leaving. "Careful you don't burn yourself with your cigarette." "Awe mom, it's snuff. Want some?" "No, but you go ahead if your man enough in front of me." So, I did. Got sick as a dog afterwards, she smacked my puffed out lip and it all went down.

That was mom, had these brass ones. :) Need them too. She raised up three boys who each were the worst Hell and best angels she ever knew, raised them mostly on her own as well. My stepfather was a long haul truck/lorry driver and was gone all week, drank & slept weekends between bouts of smacking me round just to smack me round. ( No, not in the fun loving way either. ) So, mom now has two fine gents and one what a little tough loving from his brothers might fix. He can be a fine gent too if he doesn't decide upon imitating his daddy.

So yes, grew up where and when tobacco reigned. Grew up and finally am starting to unshackle the chains with help from my wife. Whew, more tired than I knew. Out all day splitting up firewood, from ~ 11:00 to 17:00 local, EST. Sure we had a few breaks but oak is awful heavy to lug round. Back at it on morrow.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
If cigarettes are like jumping off a 40 foot building shouldn't vaping be like jumping off a
2 foot building? PHE says they are at least 95% safer than cigarettes. 5% of 40 is 2.
:vapor:
Mike

Actually I think it means that vaping is like playing in a puddle. :D

Andria

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I carpet bomb naysayers. Have created a simply worded and clear canned response.
Feel free to use it yourselves. It is formatted at 72 character line length. That means
it'll work in most e-mail clients. It also includes a built in bozo filter.

---8<---

Should you choose to presenting an argument against my use of electronic
cigarette products, please become better informed. I provide links to
sites which offer volumes of accurate information. If you choose not
informing yourself, I will know and choose not to be concerned regarding
any argument you present. This does mean any argument because if you
choose to not be informed, your actions confer to me you are stupid. I
do not abide stupidity. Thank you and have a good one. The links below
are for your reference.

[ E-cigarette research, studies and papers - 2015/2014 ] - E-cigarette studies, research and reports

[ CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association ] - Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

[ Home Page ] - American E-liquid Manufacturing Standards Association

--->8---
Nice! Along those same lines, I have responded to the KU email as follows, shamelessly stealing an idea or two from other posts in this thread:

I am a KU grad and a recent patient of the University of Kansas Hospital. Four years ago, thanks to electronic cigarettes, I was finally able to kick a 40 year smoking habit after all other methods had failed.

Dr. Thornton could use a refresher course in basic arithmetic. According to an independent review published by Public Health England, using an electronic cigarette is 95% less harmful than smoking LINK. If smoking cigarettes is like jumping from a 40 foot building, as Dr. Thornton contends, then using an electronic cigarette is like jumping from a 2 foot building (5% x 40 ft. = 2 ft.)

It's unfortunate that you do not provide a comment section on your linked web page. We actually do know most of the things you've listed as "unknown."

For example, I know what "materials are used to construct the tubes and the working parts" of my e-cigarettes. The tubes are made of Pyrex glass, the coil is made from Kanthal wire (the heating elements in toasters, electric stoves, etc.), and my wicks are made from silica or cotton. The e-juice is made from PG, vegetable glycerin, nicotine and FDA approved flavors. The e-juice I use is tested at an independent lab and the results are posted on line.

With the exception of long term health effects, all of the things you've listed as "we don't know" have been extensively studied and the results have been published. For example LINK and LINK. Furthermore, although e-cigarettes haven't been in use long enough to allow for truly long term studies, the health effects of the ingredients have all be studied for decades. And, after over 6 years of widespread e-cigarette use, no significant adverse health effects have been reported. Contrast that with FDA approved Chantix.*

The statement that propylene glycol "can cause lung irritation" needs to be put in context. If you look at the potential side effects for FDA approved nicotine inhalers, you'll find the same thing. LINK PG has been studied relentlessly since the 1940's. For example, consider the fact that propylene glycol is used as a vehicle for administering inhaled cyclosporine to lung transplant patients LINK, and in asthma nebulizers. LINK

Coming from my own alma mater, and an institution that holds itself out as the best medical center and hospital in the state and city, I would have expected something less superficial and more thoroughly researched than this piece.

*Common side effects of Chantix include nausea (may persist for several months), sleep disturbance, stomach pain, indigestion, constipation, gas, vomiting, headaches, weakness, tiredness, unusual dreams, sleep problems (insomnia), dry mouth, or unpleasant taste in your mouth. Chantix is not addictive and is not a controlled substance; however, some patients may experience irritability and sleep disturbance if Chantix is abruptly discontinued. Patients may experience psychiatric symptoms such as behavioral changes, agitation, depressed mood, and suicidal behavior while using Chantix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread