I love smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

icyblack

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I agree that 24mg is way too much for you, especially if your wearing the patch at the same time. I smoked more than a pack of home rolled pipe tobacco cigarettes a day and have found 18mg to not be enough but I still get a little out of it.

mmm, couldn't smoke them often but pipe tobacco smokes are wicked, especially with a snifter of good rye or bourbon.

BCRich2204

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Texas
...if you still want stinkies then you need to take more drags/up the nicotine or make sure you are using your equipment correctly

I think I'm one of those smokers where the physical thing is just as addicting. You know, some guys just have to put something in their mouth... It used to be difficult for me to gain weight, until the first time I quit. With vaping, the thing I'm missing is that feeling I get when I take a drag on a cigarette. It's like a deep breath of fresh air; with a little menthol on top.

I'm going to try some menthol liquids, maybe that's what I'm missing... but drawing the vapor in through my nose seem to work really well so far.

Thanks for your reply though, good stuff.

You really should consider some advice from other vapers around here before you spend any more money on set ups. We can help you get a good unit for your needs at the lowest price if your willing to order online. If you keep vaping you will end up ordering online for sure because that's where all the good stuff is LOL.

I don't have a problem ordering things online (ask my wife)... it's just my smoke we're talking about. If something were to happen to the unit I got now, the place I got it from is only 6 blocks from me. I can replace it real easy. I also don't know any different... it seems to be working fine, lots of vapor coming off that sucker & I really like the sound of the liquid crackling when I hit the button. It's got three power levels, so I can adjust the "quality" of the vapor coming out of it. I've looked online & very few of them has this feature.

I'm more opposed to buying the liquids online. If y'all can suggest a "better" rig, I'm game (I'll keep this Millennium as a back-up for emergencies).

But I'm going to the smoke shop tomorrow, I doubt I can get something online any quicker. I have been browsing online though, so I've got an idea of how much things cost. If their prices are out-of-whack, I'll probably buy online anyway.

But thanks for the suggestion, I do appreciate it.

So many replies I'm not reading them all so forgive if it's been said. But most people have the easiest time in transitioning from smoking to e-cigs by starting out with a flavor that simulates the cigarettes you smoked. So find a nice light menthol juice to start with. Once you get used to it you'll find yourself wanting to naturally try other flavors.

BCRich2204

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Texas
I was a 2 pack a day smoker. If I'd started with 6-12 mg, I would still be smoking. What you're saying goes against almost everything ever posted here, everyone's nicotine levels starting out are different. Heavy smokers should try 18-24 to see if it squashes the cravings, even higher if necessary.

I vape 24mg all day, I haven't gotten a headache from it since I started out. That too is different for everyone.

So that's something else I've been struggling with. Just about everything I've seen assumes a person ingests 22mg of nicotine per pack. With 20 cigarettes per pack, that averages out to 1.1mg per cigarette. I've seen some smokers who light a cigarette, but barely smoke it. They're reading, talking, fiddling with something, drinking, etc... while the cigarette burns away all the nicotine. I'm not one of those guys. I take a drag, exhale, take another drag. I probably take 20 drags on a cigarette, so I'm getting more of that 1.1mg per cigarette than the guy doing the crossword while he smoked.

So I might get as much nicotine from my 7 cigarettes a day as the other guy gets in 14. Still, it stands to reason I don't take in more than 8mgs a day.

So lets say I get a 10ml bottle at 8mg strength. Do I need to vape that whole bottle to get my 8mgs/day?

If I get a 10ml bottle at 24mg strength, do I need to vape a third of it each day (fill my 1.6ml tank twice)?

But I tell you what... after inhaling this 24mg liquid (through my nose) my nicotine craving is squashed quick. 1 drag on this "don't know what to call it" is about the equivalent of 10 drags on my Pall Mall. Two of them satisfies me... & the third one, I can feel I've gone too far.

So like Plumes.91 said, I've got to cut the strength down, if I want to take more than three hits on this thing (& I do).

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
OP, If the one you have is working well that's great! I would stick with it. Do go and buy another though so you have 2. Maybe it would even be good to have 3. We always say to have back ups and back ups for your back ups. If you only have 2 and one dies and it will you could be driven back to cigs if that's all you can get at the time it happens. I was not bashing your equipment. I just meant that if you thought it may be your equipment not working well not to buy anything different without asking around here first so we could help you get what you want at the best price. I have 3 of the most reliable e gigs money can buy. Two of them needed repairs in 1 week after nearly 2 years of using them. I was left with just the one for a week. I sure was sweating it the whole week. Most of the best liquids can only be gotten online though. Naturally there are more to choose from online as well.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Any of you guys have difficulty making the switch? What was your EurekAlert moment?

My EurekAlert moment (nice phrase, that) was when I discovered WTA. WTA ejuice instantly calmed the jitteriness I felt even after giving up the cigs. I use Aroma Ejuice for my WTA, but there are several other vendors that make WTA. But I consider Aroma to be the best. :)

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
You may be getting very little nicotine from your current setup regardless of the strength of your e-liquid-

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ette-vs-e-cigarette-nicotine-equivalency.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/211345-new-users-nicotine-strength-questions.html

"Intellicig have introduced a new highest retail nicotine strength of 45mg (4.5%). This is because their clinical trials with mini ecigs (and three trials by others such as Vansickel, Eissenberg, Bullen) showed that beginners with minis, using regular e-liquid strengths, had zero or very little nicotine measurable in blood plasma nicotine level tests."...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...2123-what-will-ecf-look-like.html#post8440301

Lots of things come into play- technique, etc. Perhaps a mod or vv device will give you a warmer vape, more like smoking and deliver more nicotine.

I started vaping about 2 years ago, not for quit smoking, I was just curious. I never touched a cigarette again - never felt like i have to. But after 3 or 4 month vaping only I had real difficulties. I was tired, sleepy and had a lack of drive / motivation, maybe something like a mini burnout. 3 or 4 weeks later no problem again.
I think this derives from the psychoactive additives in cigarettes. I also think its very subjective, my girlfirend for example had no problems at all.

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
... "Intellicig have introduced a new highest retail nicotine strength of 45mg (4.5%). This is because their clinical trials with mini ecigs (and three trials by others such as Vansickel, Eissenberg, Bullen) showed that beginners with minis, using regular e-liquid strengths, had zero or very little nicotine measurable in blood plasma nicotine level tests."...

WOW! I hope they got their numbers right. Sounds killer, I mean, literally.

When I first started DIYing juice, I was always afraid I wouldn't get my nic fix. Have been slowly but steadily decreasing my nic, and so far all I really notice is less of a Throat Hit.

proga

Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Oregon
I've been vaping for a month, started with a clearomiser and ego battery on 18mg. For me the transition was surprisingly easy. I did get a sore throat, but switch e-juices the next day and had no problems.

I used to chew (inside) and smoke (in the car, or out partying). So the habit aspect of smoking was already a little blurred.

Last night I smoked an American spirit regular at a bar. I was surprised by how much I dislike real cigarettes now. It was the smell, and the scratchy feeling in my sinus and throat.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble but I'm sure you'll find the right hardware and e liquid. Just do it quick, buy a variety of things. I'll recommend a "Kanger pro-tank" with 1.8 ohm factory coil $12. Then buy an "Igo-L Dripping atomizer" for $15. Then go to a vape shop and try a few different flavors. It seems most people eventually prefer vaping.

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Land of Thunder, Upstate NY
"Intellicig have introduced a new highest retail nicotine strength of 45mg (4.5%). This is because their clinical trials with mini ecigs (and three trials by others such as Vansickel, Eissenberg, Bullen) showed that beginners with minis, using regular e-liquid strengths, had zero or very little nicotine measurable in blood plasma nicotine level tests."...

After 35 yrs of 1 pack+ a day, finishing up with the non-filtered small cigars, I started out at 24mg Midnight Apple and I had to sit down. Not a smoke since. I cant imagine 45mg/ml. Had a dry throat and minor headache for a week, but it faded. I lit up a little cigar since, and it was so yuk I couldn't believe I actually smoked those things.

dns

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I was a 2 pack a day smoker. If I'd started with 6-12 mg, I would still be smoking. What you're saying goes against almost everything ever posted here, everyone's nicotine levels starting out are different. Heavy smokers should try 18-24 to see if it squashes the cravings, even higher if necessary. I vape 24mg all day, I haven't gotten a headache from it since I started out. That too is different for everyone.

What I'm saying might go against what everyone says, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. I have scientific data to back up my theory. I've gotten into large debates over this issue here, several times in the past, and my point has always remained respected & valid by some members. People THINK they need 24mg juice if they smoked 2 packs a day. Its natural to automatically think you'll need higher nic if you smoked more. But in my own personal opinion, 24mg juice should only ever be used to DECREASE the amount of puffs you need to take during each vape session.

If you chain smoked cigarettes like I did, chain vaping 24mg juice at the same rate will most likely make you sick. The nicotine in our APVs is simply nicotine, a stimulant. In cigarettes, it is paired with MAOI inhibitors and other alkaloids and chemicals that allow it to quickly absorb into our bodies and cross the blood-brain barrier. In our e-cigarettes, it is inefficiently absorbed & due to the sublingual route of administration that our vapor takes, rather than the pulmonary ROA that cigarette smoke took. Due to this ROA, & paired with the fact that our nicotine is not converted to it's freebase form like in most tobacco products, our nic administered through vaper actually stays at a low level until it has a chance to build in our blood. Due to these anomalies in comparison to tobacco smoking, it stays at a low level until well after we've put the PV down. This produces stimulative effects with none, or much less of the dopaminergic seen in the immediate seconds after inhaling cigarette tobacco. As our nicotine to blood plasma levels increase in the 5 minutes after putting our APVs down, this is when we finally receive the rewarding dopaminergic effects of the stacking of the nicotine, which finally lessens the pure stimulative effects and brings about the more relaxing, focused, reward center oriented effects. So it is my belief that utilizing 24mg nicotine liquid may bring about the rewarding effects more quickly, but you are also increasing the amount of nicotine your body is dependent to, rather than maintaining at a level more closely relative the the levels you received from your cigarettes.

I personally don't recommend 24mg juice to chain smokers that will want to chain vape. I'd rather recommend 12, 16, or 18mg so that they can adjust to the new effects more smoothly & still habituate the smoking they did with cigarettes, in their new medium, without noticing negative effects, such as over stimulation & then symptoms of overstimulation of the dopamine receptors.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
'...I too notice that when I vape, the flavor becomes muted, so I will buy guava, then when my tank is half full, I refill the rest with bananna, then when that gets half full, I refill it with strawberry.... but the flavor is constantly changing, and constantly flavorfull to me'.

NealBJr, I like this idea. I have separate clearomizers for each flavour but I believe I will give it a try.

It's worked for me so far. I usually stick with MBV, but I'm sure it can be done with others. I usually buy three or four different flavors, and all the ones I can mix. Strawberry/bananna/guava is my favorite and go-to rotation, but sometimes, throw in a "demon energy/strawberry/blueberry" for a change of pace. Dragonfruit/kiwi is a good combination too. All my juices are of the same pg/vg/6mg nic values, so I don't have to worry about that aspect.

during my "indulge" times, I use a single coil dripper and some 12mg nic juice. Anything above 6, and I purposely slow myself down by dripping. It's not a big dripper, and about the same vapor as my regular setup... it just takes longer and I cannot chain vape it.

Good luck with your vaping, and I hope you like the Guava like I do. :)

Rail it

Jan 19, 2014
Chicago
You really should consider some advice from other vapers around here before you spend any more money on set ups. We can help you get a good unit for your needs at the lowest price if your willing to order online. If you keep vaping you will end up ordering online for sure because that's where all the good stuff is LOL.
Great advice, for sure. However, the fact that I had a few extra bucks to spend on this stuff really helped me stay away from those damn analogs. Looking forward to the shipments I had coming in the mail of juice and accessories kept me excited about vaping. I did lots of research online about the different products and did the best I could with the purchases.

I think that REALLY helped me by feeling like a kid again and almost making it more of a hobby rather than a necessity. Again, different strokes for different folks. Whatever works, right?!

Nightshard

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2013
Israel
Mixing both vaping and smoking makes it harder to kick the habit.
You should switch only to vaping and get it over with.
Soon enough your sence of smell will go back to normal and once that happens you wont get anywhere near an analog.
You are getting all the nic your body is used to from vaping, so its all in your head.

When i started vaping i just finished the 2 packs i had at home and once they where gone i didnt buy another.
Started with 18 mg but i used to smoke 1.5 packs a day.

BCRich2204

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Texas
Ran into a little problem.

The smoke shop I wanted to visit was closed, they're remodeling, expanding. So I went to another, a much smaller shop. Everything they had was over priced.

I went back to the convenience store I bought my original set of supplies from, & after looking over their stock again, they have a pretty good variety of pens, & cigalikes, & hookahs, & eJuices..... well they had a lot of flavors, at least three different brands, but nothing less than 18mg.

I did however find a menthol flavor with some VG in it. I don't know how much or what ratio, the packaging doesn't go into that much detail. It lists PG first in it's ingredients, then VG.
VX-Menthol-2T.jpg

I can take a giant drag on this thing, then inhale it into my lungs no problem. I filled my 1.6ml tank with 0.8ml of this stuff & 0.8ml of the kiwi flavored stuff I got yesterday & I'm still able to take huge drags & inhale into my lungs, no problem. Since I'm able to mix it with similar results, I'm crediting the VG more than the brand, so in the future I'll have to make sure I get VG in my eJuice.

I believe all of us enjoyed smoking. I sure did!! 25 years a pack a day. I quit several times. Now finally, it's only been 8 weeks but not a single cigarette since. I vamped and smoked together for the first few weeks but I knew I needed to put them down completely. I was kidding myself. 8 weeks is a long time. Go to a vape shop that will let u try different devices & flavors. Cartomizers & clearomizers are very different. I have spent a lot of $$ figuring out what works for me. I have 4 mods & 12 or so different tanks, 15 juices. You too will find what will satisfy u enough to put down the analogs forever. Good luck!!

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Remember...

PG: throat hit
VG: vapor production

Some people vape one or the other. I prefer mixes, with the exception of Boba's bounty, which is 100% VG. VG is also much thicker than PG, so what atomizers you use and their wicking abilities become more of a concern...
I'm starting to get a little technical here, but as long as you remember the difference between PG and VG, that should help in your future purchases.

Most vendors put the VG/PG ratios on the label.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread