I made an indestructa-clearo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Well I went on an adventure today, looking for some plastic tubing that would fit my clearo form, to fix up some I'd cracked the shell on. Well....the closest I came to finding anything was at an aquarium store. Right type of plastic tubing, but all slightly too big. Nothing at any hardware store.

Soooo some tubing caught my eye. The clear er....vinyl I think it might be, tubing. I could be wrong about that, but it's clear. The kind you use to pipe water into an auto ice maker, the kind used in camel back backpacks, and the kind they use in fish tanks. I figured it was probably safe, if it's approved for piping water for human consumption. Packaging said non toxic.

I also vape a low nic solution (6mg, 12mg at the very highest), so I also figure my juice isn't any more corrosive that the chlorine "enhanced" tap water we all have. I also have my doubts that if there is anything mildly toxic in it, that it's any worse than the stock clearo bodies, that are made in China. But do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Washed and dry burned some of my old clearos, and cut the piping to fit. Now, it comes in a roll, so a lot of it is bent. I clipped the end pieces that were straight for this project. I've got a big long piece tucked away under some heavy books straightening out. I'm sure a curved piece would still work, but it'd look a bit odd.

Anyway, that's really all there was to it. Cut the tubing to fit. I used 7/16ths sized tubing. At first I tried fitting in the cup seals; they didn't fit too well. 7/16ths is ever so slightly too small, but it stretches to fit over the metal piece easily. The next size up is far too big. So I ditched the cup seal, and just used the outer seal. Snug but it'll do. In fact it's so snug, it doesn't leak any more than with the cup seals. Works well. The tubing I got is also fairly thick, so it's not the most attractive thing on the block....but it works! I'm sure there are thinner tubes available. But my first concern was food/water safe material. If it's not safe for that, I'm certainly not putting it anywhere near my vaping equpiment.

Pictures very soon to come!

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
And for the pictures.

The tubing:
2upuuqb.jpg

The empty clearo with the new body:
2m7u8vq.jpg

The filled clearo:
8wm4q1.jpg

*Note: You're seeing the inner cup seal in that pic, which I ditched when I realized how ridiculous trying to fill it was going to be, with such a tight fit. But you get the idea.

Last edited:

chewie

Verified Member
Have you tried to vape a live one yet? Let us know when you have a working prototype. It's very innovative, although I would listen to the aquarist, since they usually have a lot of experience in chemistry, in order to keep the delicate fish alive. I dabbled in freshwater: Angelfish (silvers and hybrids captive bred), Clown loaches from borneo, various catfish from South America one that had spots and croaked I think a Chocolate Raphael, various coryadoras catfish, cardinal tetras, and a few other species too numerous to mention here. My health forced me out of the hobby just before I got involved with discus hybrids. Even with freshwater the knowledge of chemistry needed is sophomoric, and with saltwater it's downright vast.

It doesn't have to be pretty to function. I really think you are on to something, and should follow it to the finish. Please keep us updated, it looks fascinating to me.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Yeah it works great. Getting the seal and drip tip in is a bit tricky, otherwise no real problems with it.

To be fair, maybe I shouldn't have said ice makers. It's what my dad hooked up ours with....but we are rednecks. I take for granted the things he does are normal. Maybe I shouldn't :laugh:

I did talk to the employee at the fish store; I told him what I was using it for. He didn't say anything about a problem I might have with various materials and we did talk about the possibilities of hard plastics, vinyl tubing, even glass. I suspect he would have if he thought it were a danger to my health, that he knew of anyway. So I'm really not all that concerned about it honestly. Maybe I should be, but I'm not. After years of smoking cigarettes, I'm really not. I'm actually glad I had the chance to talk to the fish guy. To be frank, the people who work at Home Depot and Ace don't really know what they're doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread