I need a good recipe with the flavours i have , any suggestions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Hey there :) so i have recently purchased tpa ripe strawberry , cap custard v1 ,tpa banana cream and tpa vanilla swirl , does anyone have any suggestions for a good diy recipe ? The ones i have made so far are not really to my liking , mostly because i think i am using to much flavouring .
I personally like 15ish% recipes, maybe a little more or less depending. The website posted above allows you to input the flavors you have into your profile and then you can click a link that says "what can I make."

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hey there :) so i have recently purchased tpa ripe strawberry , cap custard v1 ,tpa banana cream and tpa vanilla swirl , does anyone have any suggestions for a good diy recipe ? The ones i have made so far are not really to my liking , mostly because i think i am using to much flavouring .

You have two good ones there, I like the strawberry and Capella's custard mixed. I never go over %15 flavoring. One of my favorites, is %10 strawberry, and %5 capellas custard. I haven't tried DIY Bananna, but in my "pseudo-DIY" times, I liked to add %5 ish bananna to strawberry or guava.

I like to use Steam Engine main page for my ejuice recipes... it is a bit difficult to learn at first, but it is a very precise calculator for both vaping and e-liquid making. I still use it as a general guideline.. but not in a precise manner.

For example.

Let's say I am making my strawberry and custard mix... I have a 60mg/ml PG base for nic. I want to make %10 strawberry and %5 vanilla custard mix and a 6mg juice. I head over to steam-engine and then go to the e-juice calculator and get ready to mix.

I put in 30ml for the batch size, since I have 30ml unicorn bottles. I change the output to mg/ml, switch over to target and put in 6mg/ml. In the nicotine base liquid I put in I have 60mg/ml. In the mixing section.

Next, I put in the flavors... I click on the "flavoring" section, and add two flavors. Flavor 1, I put in %10, flavor 2 I put in %5.

Time for me to start mixing... Under the mixing-recipe portion, It says I need to add 3mg of my base, 3mg of flavor 1, and 1.5mg of flavor 2. I add the base, strawberry, and custard. That leaves me with the rest of the bottle as my PG/VG ratio. Since I asked for PG based nic and flavorings, I know that everything I have in there is PG based.. so I have 7.5ml of PG solutions. I personally just fill the rest up with VG, so that should give me a 75VG 25PG solution... which is fine for me. If I wanted a 50/50 mix, I would add 7.5ml of PG and fill the rest with VG.

a little in depth, but that is how my mixing goes... not perfect, but it works. for mixing Nic, I have a dedicated syringe with some long flexible tubing at the end of it. I usually fill the syringe with the nic base, turn the needle upsidown and expel the air while keeping the tube in the bottle. With the tube still submerged, I fill the syringe until I get the ammount I need. Yes, both the tube and needle are filled with the base.. but if I squirt in 3ml according to the syringe, it puts 3ml in the bottle... yes, some base will still be in the tube, but the measurements are still pretty accurate. after I put the rest of unused nic base back int he bottle, I rinse the tube thouroughly with tap water, then rinse again with distilled water. Let it air dry for an hour with the plunger out, then put it in a ziplock bag until next mixing. I do the same with the flavor syringes, but the flavor syringes are dedicated one flavor per syringe... since flavors tend to stay.

if anyone sees any problems with my mixing technique, let me know... I don't see a problem since it's just for myself, but you never know, there might be something I don't know about.

Oh, and vinyl gloves are used for the nicotine part then disposed of. I grab a few from work since I'm a baker. :) I should use them for the flavors, but I don't.. so sometimes my fingers smell like strawberries for an hour or so.

Alex Dosogne

Oct 16, 2016
Haha awesome !! Thank you everyone for your input :) i will definitely be trying the custard/strawberry recipe , i just mixed a 30 ml bottle and it has been steeping for a few days , i heard that the capella custard takes atleast a week or two to really shine , this is another recipe i made :
*Strawberry custard recipe idea*
•Tpa ripe strawberry--->9% 2.7ml
•Cap custard v1 ------->5% 1.5ml
•Tpa vanilla swirl------->2% .6ml
•Nic---->1.5mg .45ml

I am hoping that all the flavours will blend nicely , does this recipe sound good ? Thanks for the quick replies everyone !!

FloridaDIY

Oct 17, 2016
Englewood, florida

I would go to ELR eliquid recipes.com and check it out. But just so you know diy is not cheaper. I've spent around 800 dollars and still yet have made a good juice

RainSong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
I would go to ELR eliquid recipes.com and check it out. But just so you know diy is not cheaper. I've spent around 800 dollars and still yet have made a good juice
Still haven't found what you're looking for? ;) I guess I'm lucky, I haven't spent anywhere near $800 and have found several recipes I love. I hope you find your elusive happiness.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Welcome to the forum @Alex Dosogne. It appears you've pretty much gone and done everything backwards, exactly like I did when first starting out. :) Don't just go out and willy nilly buy flavors just because they sound good. You need to crawl before you walk. I'd suggest you find some recipes that you find interesting that are highly rated and buy the flavors to MATCH that recipe. Do that for 4, 5, 6 of them, and you'll soon be able to branch out on your own. Keep notes for every single one. Stuff like 'not sweet enough, increase next time to ..', or 'perfect amount of custard that I like', stuff like that that you can go back to in the future for your own creations. Search that site like @Sheldon27 suggested. That will get you confident with making great recipes, and on your way.

The ones i have made so far are not really to my liking , mostly because i think i am using to much flavouring .
    This could be very true. You can mute flavors completely by using too much. Keep notes, or write them now, on what you did make, so you'll remember.

I like to use Steam Engine main page for my ejuice recipes... it is a bit difficult to learn at first, but it is a very precise calculator for both vaping and e-liquid making.
    While Steam Engine is the gospel for vaping, for recipes it's very lacking compared to dedicated sites. I started out using it myself, and while all the information is correct, you don't have the ability to keep notes on your recipes, or even save the values of what you've made. I used to print out each recipe I wanted to make, and then input it all again the next time. e-liquid-recipes lets you keep detailed notes for each one, as well as easily make adaptations.

I have a dedicated syringe with some long flexible tubing at the end of it.
    You can go to a Pharmacy and ask for one for a kid, and if they're nice they'll give you the syringe, and the tube.

*Strawberry custard recipe idea*
    The %'s look good to me. The Vanilla Swirl will give you a good mouthfeel. Kudos. Personally I'd swap the Strawberry Ripe for their plain Strawberry as I can't taste the ripe at all.

I've spent around 800 dollars and still yet have made a good juice
    Seriously? I've only ever thrown out 1 bad mix ever. And there is no way it was salvageable.

I have over 125 flavors you have to buy more flavors if you want to make something worth a damn
    There are many 2 flavor great mixes out there. What kind of stuff do you like, I'll see if I can suggest something for you.

Try and hold off on that sweetener/sucralose if you can. You'll come to appreciate the flavor more. Speaking of sucralose, it can gunk your coils. Now, there is also Cotton Candy which if IIRC, is a 5% Ethyl Maltol, 5% sucralose, OR sweetener which is 10% sucralose. Let's use your Custard above. If you added 2% Cotton Candy, your juice would be sweeter, and your Strawberry would pop (more sweetness there). If instead you added 2% sweetener, then your whole juice would end up sweeter. Or you could add .5-1% TFA/TPA Raspberry Sweet which also enhances the Strawberry. There's a time and place for each, and you'll learn that.

PS There's an entire forum here dedicated to DIY mixing, and some really good blogs on the same.

Alex Dosogne

Oct 16, 2016
    I see what yoy mean when you said i am doing things backwards haha . I found a fizzymustard recipe called "mustard milk " it is really simple with a lot of positive reviews :) i think i am going to venture to my local shop to pick up some strawberry and VBIC to make this . And thank you for the sweetener recommendation , i was thinking of using stevia, but you are completely right by saying i should hold off on it until i get a better understaning of my flavours/concentrates

Reactions: ghola1was

RainSong

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2016
    I see what yoy mean when you said i am doing things backwards haha . I found a fizzymustard recipe called "mustard milk " it is really simple with a lot of positive reviews :) i think i am going to venture to my local shop to pick up some strawberry and VBIC to make this . And thank you for the sweetener recommendation , i was thinking of using stevia, but you are completely right by saying i should hold off on it until i get a better understaning of my flavours/concentrates
    I make that recipe. For me the vanilla bean ice cream has a peppery taste until after about a week or more steeping. Good stuff.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    I see what yoy mean when you said i am doing things backwards haha . I found a fizzymustard recipe called "mustard milk "
    Haha!. That's actually my all day vape. Absolutely scrumtrellescent (yeah, I made up that word). You shouldn't use 'ripe' in there. 2 ingredients, that's it. Although now I've gone and jazzed it all up. Touch of marshmallow, cream, and raspberry. Remeber all these recipes are just starting points for you to add/remove a little of this and that to what makes you happy.

Hate to keep harping on about notes, but a 'nugget' for me now, is when I order a flavor, I write a note with the name of the recipe I'm buying it for. Being old and more forgetful, I have at least 5 or 6 flavors that I have no clue why I ordered them, and I know they were for something I wanted to mix.

...For me the vanilla bean ice cream has a peppery taste until after about a week or more steeping. Good stuff.
    Yeah, some people get them from the TFA version of vanilla bean ice cream, but not from the CAP version.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Oh, here's a great listing from @dannyv45 who's super helpful.

Here is some light reading for ya on DYI.

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DYI, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine bases regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread