I need an education

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Cavallero

May 6, 2015
So I have an unregulated Dual 18650 series IR3034 N channel Mosfet with a momentary switch. Firstly, what does Mosfet mean and what does series mean.

Second question is about my sigelei 100 watt. If doing a build, why does my friend tell me that I should try to aim for higher built coils rather than lower, shouldn't the lower the ohms, the more vapor. He said that I will get a better experience if I make a build with a lot of coil surface area and good air flow. What does he mean by better experience?

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
MOSFET - Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor

This is a type of transistor which can be very good when used as an electronic switch, because certain ones can carry very large currents with minimal power loss. The actual switch (that you press to vape) only has to carry a very very small amount of current.

Lower ohms can give you more vapor in an unregulated mod, where you have no control over the output voltage. However, for a regulated mod, you can get better vapor using a higher-resistance coil, running it at a higher voltage.

"Ohms" per se have nothing to do with vapor production; what really controls it is the amount of heat that can be transferred into vaporizing e-liquid. This is not simply a matter of ohms, but of coil dimensions, wire gauge, voltage, etc.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So I have an unregulated Dual 18650 series IR3034 N channel Mosfet with a momentary switch. Firstly, what does Mosfet mean and what does series mean.

Second question is about my sigelei 100 watt. If doing a build, why does my friend tell me that I should try to aim for higher built coils rather than lower, shouldn't the lower the ohms, the more vapor. He said that I will get a better experience if I make a build with a lot of coil surface area and good air flow. What does he mean by better experience?

mosfet; I think that stands for 'meta oxide field effect transistor' ?
Basically it's a big switch that you control with your little switch.
It is so that you don't get high current coming so close to you finger.

Series is when you have to batteries in series; it doubles the voltage. Like with the typical flashlight.
but in the context "unregulated Dual 18650 series IR3034 N channel Mosfet"
it's not clear to me if that really means that the batteries are in series; that would be unusual.

With the sigelei 100 watt, since you are using higher voltage a regular mech, you can build higher ohms.

Reactions: twgbonehead

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
"Better vaping experience" is a subjective term and probably means something different to each individual vaper. "More vapor", "denser vapor", and "more flavor" would be descriptive terms used. Some prefer a "cooler" vape while others prefer a "warmer/hotter" vape.

Just over a year ago, some vapers found that they needed to use sub-ohm coils (resistance less than 1.0 ohms) on a mechanical mod to have a better vaping experience, because the regulated mods available at the time could not fire a sub-ohm coil due to their power limitations and protection circuitry.

Nowadays, we have high wattage regulated mods which can fire sub-ohm coils safely and effectively. However, guess what? You don't need to use sub-ohm coils if you have a high wattage regulated mod. You can fire higher watts on a normal resistance coil (1 - 3 ohms) and get the same "vaping experience" you could get with a sub-ohm mechanical mod.

Last edited:

Dan Cavallero

May 6, 2015
"Better vaping experience" is a subjective term and probably means something different to each individual vaper. "More vapor", "denser vapor", and "more flavor" would be descriptive terms used. Some prefer a "cooler" vape while others prefer a "warmer/hotter" vape.

Just over a year ago, some vapers found that they needed to use sub-ohm coils (resistance less than 1.0 ohms) on a mechanical mod to have a better vaping experience, because the regulated mods available at the time could not fire a sub-ohm coil due to their power limitations and protection circuitry.

Nowadays, we have high wattage regulated mods which can fire sub-ohm coils safely and effectively. However, guess what? You don't need to use sub-ohm coils if you have a high wattage regulated mod. You can fire higher watts on a normal resistance coil (1 - 3 ohms) and get the same "vaping experience" you could get with a sub-ohm mechanical mod.

Thank you for your reply. So I can get just as much vapor running a higher ohm coil by increasing the wattage than I could a lower ohm coil. That would make sense because the Herekles .6 stock atomizer can handle 50-100 watts while the .2 should only handle between 30-50. Am I right on that?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank you for your reply. So I can get just as much vapor running a higher ohm coil by increasing the wattage than I could a lower ohm coil. That would make sense because the Herekles .6 stock atomizer can handle 50-100 watts while the .2 should only handle between 30-50. Am I right on that?
I'll agree with the first statement.

I'm not familiar with the Herekles atomizer or its coils, so I won't comment about them. Vapor production deals with more than just the wattage used: adequate airflow, coil surface area, wicking material, e-liquid, etc.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

Different coils run at different wattages.
Thicker wire needs more power.
a 1 ohm 30 gauge kanthal coil will run at around 5 watts
a 1 ohm 26 gauge kanthal coil will run at around 20 watts.

Current might be a more intuitive way of thinking about it.
gauge ----- current (Amps) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.2
32 ----- 1.7
30 ----- 2.4
28 ----- 3
26 ----- 5
24 ----- 7
22 ----- 10
20 ----- 13
Kanthal A1
gauge ----- watt per ohm (per coil) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.4
32 ----- 3
30 ----- 6
28 ----- 10
26 ----- 23
24 ----- 45
22 ----- 91
20 ----- 182
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Series is when you have to batteries in series; it doubles the voltage. Like with the typical flashlight.
but in the context "unregulated Dual 18650 series IR3034 N channel Mosfet"
it's not clear to me if that really means that the batteries are in series; that would be unusual.

It's far more likely to be in parallel, better battery life and more amps. At a guess I would say the series refers to a model or Mark number, as in 3 Series BMW. Regardless, I would want to know before I pressed the fire button what what.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I ran into a guy (In the Disneyland "Magic Kingdom" smoking section - Disney sucks, IMHO) vaping a .6 Herkales at 60 watts, and the vapor was unbelievable. (Believe me, I wanted to ask him if I could try it, but I wouldn't ask on general principles). Had to settle for inhaling sloppy seconds ;-)

With high-power regulated mods, low-ohm coils just aren't the best solution. More power, at higher voltages (and sometimes lower currents) can vaporize tons of e-liquid!

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread