Status
Not open for further replies.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
i just recently bought a noisy cricket and I put my rda on it with a .1 4 wrap 20 gauge coil on it and every time I fire it the coil heats up red instead of burning the juice off the cotton and I can't fix it someone please help

heya - sounds like maybe a wicking issue - though you may want to consider rebuilding the coil to a little higher ohm range till you get comfortable with it - what kind of batteries are you using in it and what kind of rda?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Dear God, .1 on a Noisy Cricket? Dude, that's a series mod. At .1Ω you're pulling 84 amps. There's no battery in the world that will stand that. You're lucky it hasn't blown up in your hand and if you keep it up you won't stay lucky long. Ditch the 20ga wire and coil it no lower than .5Ω, no matter what else you do. It also has a faux hybrid top cap, which is likely to get a hard short at the 510 connector. No offense, but you're nowhere ready for a mod like that. It's a pipe bomb unless you know exactly what you're doing.:danger:

Billy12-a

Feb 9, 2016
Dear God, .1 on a Noisy Cricket? Dude, that's a series mod. At .1Ω you're pulling 84 amps. There's no battery in the world that will stand that. You're lucky it hasn't blown up in your hand and if you keep it up you won't stay lucky long. Ditch the 20ga wire and coil it no lower than .5Ω, no matter what else you do. It also has a faux hybrid top cap, which is likely to get a hard short at the 510 connector. No offense, but you're nowhere ready for a mod like that. It's a pipe bomb unless you know exactly what you're doing.:danger:
Oh dang ok thank you I will go build another coil for it right now it's my second box mod ever so I had no clue

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia

Agree 100%. Suprtkr is not playing around.

Almost all of the news about exploding e-cigs are from vapers with Mech mods that do not know what they are doing. These kids have broken their teeth, their necks, and last I heard, one is still in an induced coma.

My suggestion is to shelf the cricket, and purchase a regulated mod. That is, if you value your teeth, or face.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
um... i am betting those batteries are not a great choice for that kind of build... may want to invest in some sony vtc4's if you are planning on running .1 builds on a mech, even a dual battery one...

I'm thinking that the batteries could already be ruined from pushing them so hard.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Oh dang ok thank you I will go build another coil for it right now it's my second box mod ever so I had no clue
That's the right answer, guy, so I'll stop praying long enough to give you some more basics. :) On a parallel mod, you are running straight battery voltage and double battery amperage. A .1Ω coil at 4.2 volts (full charge battery power) draws 42 amps, which is slightly more than a pair of native 20 amp batteries will withstand. Sony VTC4s would tolerate that build, but your MXJOs won't. But a Noisy Cricket mod is series, not parallel. That means you get double voltage and native battery amperage. A .1Ω coil at 8.4 (4.2 x 2) volts draws 84 amps, but the batteries only have 20 amps to give. There are no 18650 batteries capable of 84 amps; the very, very best is 30 amps. Using those batteries, I'd suggest a .6Ω build or higher; that will cut the amp draw down to 14 or so, and you can probably get that out of those MXJOs.

Another key point about the Noisy Cricket is it does not have a 510 center pin, it is a "faux hybrid" top cap. Whatever topper you put on it must have a well protruding (minimum 1mm) center pin, and this pin must be immovable, not adjustable for length, or you are risking the battery positive pole coming into contact with the outer 510 threads, which are battery negative. If that happens, you will get an immediate hard short the instant you push the button, and it very well might blow up. Here's a photo of the difference between the caps, center pin cap to the left, faux hybrid to the right:
20160129_151013[1].jpg

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I'm thinking that the batteries could already be ruined from pushing them so hard.
Another solid point. It is possible you have damaged your batteries hitting them so hard. If you have, that means they have less capacity and ampacity left, and may not longer be suitable for vaping.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Im so glad that you decided to ask now and not ignore that "something might be wrong" instinct.

Im also so very glad to hear that you got good help , real fast and that you did not do what a lot of "new to the vape thing" do, which is disregard, dispute, and generally just not listen to those trying to help.

Everything in life, even love can kill, so its good to ask and most important , learn and be careful.

UCChris

Feb 15, 2015
Utah
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Forum Rules

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Forum Rules
Status
Not open for further replies.