I Need Nautilus Advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I gutted out the nautilus coil completely---and drilled out the juice holes and plugged two opposing holes with a tooth pick and cut the picks off with wire cutters.

I then tied a small coil and stuck jewlers screwdriver thru the holes in the coil and installed a .77-ohm----32 guage----28 guge works too---and put cotton wick thru

the coil and screwed the coil back in after wetting it and it works good getting lots of flavor and vapor.......

drilledOutHed.jpg

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Jeez! $10 each???? They better be awesome and last 3 monhs!

I haven't used these, but I have Cisco HH.357 coils which are more than 1.5 years old and have run 100's of ML of e-liquid through. Wash with hot water and blow out and they are good as new....

Kodak

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2015
Missouri...or the state of Misery.
I gutted out the Nautilus coil completely---and drilled out the juice holes and plugged two opposing holes with a tooth pick and cut the picks off with wire cutters.

I then tied a small coil and stuck jewlers screwdriver thru the holes in the coil and installed a .77-ohm----32 guage----28 guge works too---and put cotton wick thru

the coil and screwed the coil back in after wetting it and it works good getting lots of flavor and vapor.......

View attachment 483437

I have enough used Nautilus coils that I'm going to play with them once I get comfortable with coiling. I may try boring out the juice holes a little....

Reactions: thetrucker

Kodak

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2015
I pull the cotton wick out after awhile and dry burn the coil and put new cotton back in and I can use this same drilled out coil head for a year--hahahahah

I haven't tried re-wicking yet...was too lazy to find the cotton lol! I did finally order some though so all of my "used" coils will be getting new cotton when it gets here :w00t:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
@Kodak ---------------on you tube there is many videos showing how to pull apart coil heads and rebuild the coil and reinstall it.

Lots of fun--building these little coils---around a jewlers screwdriver---one leed goes thru the grommet and one leed goes outside of grommet and put the pin back

in and put cotton thru the hole and your off to the races---hahahhah-------just have to check the ohms before firing so as not to go too low.

I try to keep mine above .50....................

Kodak

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2015
@Kodak ---------------on you tube there is many videos showing how to pull apart coil heads and rebuild the coil and reinstall it.

Lots of fun--building these little coils---around a jewlers screwdriver---one leed goes thru the grommet and one leed goes outside of grommet and put the pin back

in and put cotton thru the hole and your off to the races---hahahhah-------just have to check the ohms before firing so as not to go too low.

I try to keep mine above .50....................

I'm looking forward to trying it....I've never totally torn one of the coils apart yet, so it should be fun!

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Hopefully someone can help me out here...Here's my problem:
I have a Nautilus and a Nautilus Mini...for some reason, no matter what juice I use or what mod/vv stick I use, the taste always seems muted in either one of these tanks!

Last night I decided to give it one last shot and filled up the mini (with a new 1.8 coil that I primed) with my Dark Horse Sweet Sookie which is saturated with flavor in every other tank I've put it in. Let it sit for 45 min to let it get good and saturated...put it on my evod vv 1600 ohm stick at 4.0 (where I normally keep the setting)....took a few puffs and got nada for flavor. bumped it up a few and down a few...still nada. So then I put it on my 30w IStick. Started out at 10w (which is where it is with my Vivi Nova with the same juice)...took a pull...got a slight hint of the melony goodness that I should have been tasting completely. Played with the watts and it never got better. Did the same with my Coolfire IV 40w...taste was still extremely muted like the juice had been cut in half.

So, is there some little tip/trick that could help me out here? I really really want to like these tanks because people say fabulous things about them, but right now I hate em lol!

Oh, and if there's a trick to getting the regular sized Nautilus unscrewed easier, I'll take that too...sometimes I'm having to use a pair of pliers to unscrew it and it sucks!

This may or may not help. 1st you are doing the same as my husband, STOP tightening them so much when you close them. They only need to be closed, and to just be sure that they aren't loose but metal upon metal is one of the hardest and most annoying problems I and he both had when we began vaping but even today I have to keep telling him to stop applying so much pressure. What I do on mech mods and other parts, where metal atomizer bottoms meet a metal mod, I stick little tiny strips of black electrical tape so when the piece is put on top of the other metal piece, the strips of electric tape stops them from sticking together enough where it takes hours to pull them apart :(
But you can't do that on the Nautilus tank.

As for the muted taste? I just spent 4 months with 2 Kanger Subtank Minis that I also said were muted in their taste, whilst everyone loved them. I tried cleaning them in water, dishwashing soap, ultrasonic cleaners, Rubbing alcohol and nothing worked. What finally did was VINEGAR and water. Pieces out of China often have machine oil on them that isnt properly washed off before using it the first time. If that happens, even if you don't like that taste and wash it, underneath a screw or an O-ring, a tiny amount of machine oil can be sitting there coating ur o-ring in it......in any event, I would take a bowl with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water (cool) and let it sit in there for about 20 min. You dont want to take the o-rings off and risk stretching them out of shape IF there are any on them them I would just very carefully, when in water, rub my finger lightly over the o-ring, letting vinegar/water at it and after 20 minutes or so, rinse it well under water, or better yet in another bowl as you do not want to lose o-Rings down the sink. and let it dry thoroughly. I must have washed my Subtanks about 4 times but I believe l ike most, I likely washed them a bit too quickly. Let them sit and if there is any machine oil on them, it will take it off and your description, muted, suggests to me thats what it is as that is EXACTLY how I described it when I asked everyone why mine were muted, as well,

Kodak

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2015
This may or may not help. 1st you are doing the same as my husband, STOP tightening them so much when you close them. They only need to be closed, and to just be sure that they aren't loose but metal upon metal is one of the hardest and most annoying problems I and he both had when we began vaping but even today I have to keep telling him to stop applying so much pressure. What I do on mech mods and other parts, where metal atomizer bottoms meet a metal mod, I stick little tiny strips of black electrical tape so when the piece is put on top of the other metal piece, the strips of electric tape stops them from sticking together enough where it takes hours to pull them apart :(
But you can't do that on the Nautilus tank.

As for the muted taste? I just spent 4 months with 2 Kanger Subtank Minis that I also said were muted in their taste, whilst everyone loved them. I tried cleaning them in water, dishwashing soap, ultrasonic cleaners, Rubbing alcohol and nothing worked. What finally did was VINEGAR and water. Pieces out of China often have machine oil on them that isnt properly washed off before using it the first time. If that happens, even if you don't like that taste and wash it, underneath a screw or an O-ring, a tiny amount of machine oil can be sitting there coating ur o-ring in it......in any event, I would take a bowl with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water (cool) and let it sit in there for about 20 min. You dont want to take the o-rings off and risk stretching them out of shape IF there are any on them them I would just very carefully, when in water, rub my finger lightly over the o-ring, letting vinegar/water at it and after 20 minutes or so, rinse it well under water, or better yet in another bowl as you do not want to lose o-Rings down the sink. and let it dry thoroughly. I must have washed my Subtanks about 4 times but I believe l ike most, I likely washed them a bit too quickly. Let them sit and if there is any machine oil on them, it will take it off and your description, muted, suggests to me thats what it is as that is EXACTLY how I described it when I asked everyone why mine were muted, as well,

I tried the vinegar/water trick last night on the mini...Still a no go. I just think there's something about the airflow compared to my other tanks that is the reason that the taste is muted. My best friend says the regular nautilus I had tastes fine for her, so she gets to keep it lol! I will continue to pull the mini out from time to time...I may eventually find a juice that works well for me in it. Thanks for the tips though, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Sorry to hear that. I wish you were here as I would get it working for you as I experienced the very same problem you have. Here is a list of what i have presently in front of me. They are all full of juice, fully charged and ON. At my desk each one is full of a different juice OR at least the same juice may taste differently on TC/Nickel than it may on V/W-Kanathal so just assume that I have my juice to perfection in each one. Once u see this list you might understand that NONE of them every presented the problems i had with the Subtank Mini and i have spoken to several people who have all used the term "muted" and I could not make anyone understand what I meant when I had that problem. IF i were u, id try again....in vinegar and be very careful as I would take out the screws and the O-Rings just to make sure that they don't have a drop of machine oil on them anywhere. I am pretty sure thats what happened with mine.

Now, let me also state.......that I don't personally care for the OLD pre-made coils on the subtank by Kanger. i found them muted as well. After the vinegar worked, I then wrapped my own coils and it was perfect. There are the early versions of the subtank and the newer ones with the newer RBA+ deck which has a tiny screw on the side of it and holes drilled into the side of the chimney. Many swear that these holes make a huge difference to taste. I didn't personally find that and I use both decks equally. I wrap 26gauge, on a 3.00 drill bit, 7 wraps for a 1.00 ohm on it and its perfect......I also do a couple of 0.5ohms but prefer a cooler vape so 1.00 is perfect. One day if you ever try rebuilding, try it again. A 2 year old could rebuild on the subtank. its the best one to start on. Master the subtank, which is easy, and you can do any others.
But just to show you wants in front of me now, understand by typing this i am showing you that i can and will get any to work the way I want it to work so I know if you were here with me now, having had the same problem, I could have got it to work....hold on to it. Not today but maybe a month or two from now, I am sure you will get it working, as long as you keep at it, when you are ready to try again. Cheers......

Sigelei 100+/Lemo 2..Sigelei 150w/Lemo 2..Heatvape InvaderMini/GoliathV2...Sigelei 75TC/SubtankMini...Kangerbox/Delta2 + 4 Mech Mod tubes with GoliathV1/Delta2/GoblinMini/SubtankMini............i refused to give up on that subtank as that muted taste was the only one that caused problems for me but now i have just bought a couple more as its a really good vape and a super easy one to build coils using Ni200 for TC.......

Good Luck ;)

Reactions: Kodak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread