I rebuilt my first coil, an EVOD, and it's yucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
I took me 3 tries. Try 1 cotton wick, 30 kanthal, and it was shorted. Try 2 cotton wick, 30 kanthal, and I tried to dry fire a cotton wick = poof no more wick. Try 3 30 kanthal around 3mm silica from atomizerwick.com It worked! But 5 wraps only came in at 1.2ohms on my MVP, and I can only go down to 3.3 volts. I put some juice on it and wet fired? it a couple times. Then put it together and started vaping. It just doesn't taste good. It pumps out the smoke. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Any ideas? My first try I did the micro coil thing with about 10 wraps, heated it up over my gas stove. But it was the shorted one. Should I try microcoil and cotton again?

- Joe

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
1.2 is pretty low for an evod/pt coil. You might want to shot for somewhere in the 1.5 - 2.2 range. I use 32 g kanthal 6-7 wraps and depending on how pretty the coil is, it comes in around 1.9 -2.1. Depending on the juice I run 3.6 - 4.6 v.

New wick takes a bit to come in on flavor no matter what you use. Around a 1/4 of a tank for me is when I stop giving my PV odd looks.

Try a couple more coils of different ohms and wick combos. It sounds like you just need to dial in what is going to be your personal sweet spot. :)

Clutchless

Apr 17, 2014
Finland
Recoiling things is way easier than could imagine, I was positively surprised when made my first last week, on EVOD too. 6 wraps 0,25mm A1 kanthal around 2mm drillbit filled with 2 x 1mm silica and 2 on top of the "coil". Gives 1,8 ohm ( intended it to be around 2,2..) , wicks good and taste is as it should be. I wanted to try this as a curiosity, with no expectations, and it`s actually fun to fiddle with these

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
ive built several protank heads in the past besides my lack of eyesite in my latter years they are very frustrating to build but then again i use ss mesh for the wick cause i can get 3 times the life compared to any other wick and if im gonna spend the time i dont want to have to turn around 2 days later just to do it again plus i can dry burn and rinse under water and get another 2-3 weeks of vaping but i will warn you i have spent as much as 1 hr just on 1 coil getting hot spots out and tweeking its performance but in the long run ive had heads that lasted me well over 2 months b4 i had to rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread