I started vaping, because...

Why did you start vaping?

• I'm addicted to nicotine (cigarettes).

• I'm addicted to nicotine (chewing tobacco).

• I'm addicted to nicotine (other).

• Can't quit smoking because of "hand-to-mouth"

• Self-medicating (nervous or other disorder)

• Because I can do it where I can't smoke.

• Because of the flavors, and/or because it is "cool".

• Other - please explain.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JuiceJunkie

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2011
Santee, Ca
I buddy of mine told me about it and I thought it would be a better alternative to smoking. I like smoking and had a hard time trying to give it up. Now, I'm loving all of the great flavors and not having to deal with the smoker's cough, the smell and everything else that goes along with analogs. Since I've started (beginning of April), I have gotten my mom, her friend, and several others vaping.

Last edited:

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
I started vaping for breathing reasons, I could not continue to smoke but am addicted to cigarettes. I have a nervous chew my fingers thing I always have even as a child so it helps keep my hands occupied. I could not quit smoking it was the hand to mouth thing. I also needed to quit smoking in the house. I would have checked all boxes except, other nic and chewing tobacco.

Mr.BeSoBeautiful

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2011
Buffalo, NY
A few years ago my best friends brother who was 8 or 9 at the time said to me "you're gonna die 7 years before other people will" i asked why and he told me "because you smoke cigarettes". I almost cried. So whenever i would try to quit smoking that's the thought that kept me going for the first couple days but i always started back up. Once i heard about vaping i figure it'd be a way to still be able to smoke, which i love, but be healthy about it. The extra money is great and the flavors are even better.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
I started vaping to self medicate for chemical depression and attention problems. As it turns out, the nicotine helps a lot of problems I have, from seizures to pre-diabetes to chronic pain. It even prevents things that run rampant in my family, like alzheimer's and breast cancer.

The huge variety of flavors doesn't hurt, either. But I would say my primary reason is that I vape to be healthier than I was without nicotine. I vape so I can enjoy life more.

BenJammin

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Richmond Virginia, USA
I like shiny new gadgets, a lot. And the carnival of flavors does enhance the whole experience. I never really intended to quit cigarettes altogether. E-cigs were just supposed to be a substitute for when the "real thing" was inconvenient. I just wanted to have my family and my cigarettes too. Spend time with them, instead of with the ashtray out on the porch. However; after frequent vaping, I found I didn't want the "real thing" as much anymore. Once I could breathe and taste again, I really didn't want analogs anymore. I now enjoy it more than I ever did smoking. I am without a doubt far healthier than I was before vaping. I no longer stink of burning weeds. All these things are great, but the primary thing that keeps me vaping is the ability to indulge my nicotine addiction without killing my loved ones around me. They shouldn't have to pay with their lives for my drug of choice. I'm not saying I've never slipped, I have. But I am saying that every time I get frustrated with some equipment malfunction, or the latest FDA BS, crisis de jour, etc. it helps me to remember that my life is not the only one on the line. It's that realization that has always brought me back whenever I have strayed.
I started vaping because it was a cool new toy that let me smoke in places I couldn't (or shouldn't) smoke.
I continue vaping because not only are there lives riding on it, those lives are far more enjoyable because of it.

lolady

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2011
I am on Indian land
breathing reasons

A big ol' Classic AOL-style ME TOO!

During my most recent cold, I couldn't help noticing that my air intake process is no longer able to withstand being double-teamed by stopped-up nostrils and coughing fits.

There are so many people - doctors, all the people at my fabulous neighborhood pharmacy, family, and most of all Mr-lol- - working so hard to "keep me comfortable."

It is my hope that ceasing the continuous inhalation of Marlboro Reds will help me help them achieve that goal, even when Rhinovirii attack.

redheadone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
North Carolina
I started vaping because I had tried everything else to quit. Gum, inhaler, patches, medicine (not chantix) even hypnosis. Npthing worked. I was up to three packs a day and I knew if I didn't do something analogs were going to kill me so I ordered an pv and gave it a try. No turning back. Vaping is the greatest thing I have ever done to finally get off those darn analogs

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Dropping the cigarettes after 35 years was unplanned and a complete surprise. I like gadgets and bought my first PVs out of curiosity after a co-worker received an NJoy as a Christmas present in 2009. I essentially quit smoking the day my first unit was delivered, and with so little effort it was stunning to me!

So, to answer the poll's heading, "Why did you Start Vaping?" ... I'd have to say it was accidental. I have kept vaping for 16 months now for a multitude of reasons. Not the least of which is that after a short period of time I could detect positive, healthy changes in my body ... little things like breathing are kinda important to me. Then, there's the fact that my bucket list has some cool things on it which I feel have a better chance of being realized by not smoking cigarettes.

I answered "Other" in the poll.

DerekUrban

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2011
Fort Myers, Florida
My momma wanted me to switch to E-Cigarette for health reasons, and I love my momma so I gave it a shot. I liked it for the taste, and fell in love with it for the freedom! I'll happily Vape in front of just about anyone, anywhere - no guild, no smell, no incessant complaining from those around me - it's great!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I only smoked on average around 3 to 10 cigarettes per day.
But I did that for 27 years.

I smoked for the following reasons...

-Taking breaks from work
-Taking breaks from social situations I found uncomfortable
-Taking breaks from domestic squabbles
-Taking breaks before doing things I didn't want to do
-Taking breaks after doing things I didn't want to do
-Taking breaks to be alone with my thoughts and think things through

I started vaping because if I didn't start vaping I would have smoked for the rest of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread