I think I got a fake aw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Milwaukee
I've had 2 aw 18650s and never thought much about them. Got a new mod and one didn't fit. It was too wide. Did some research and I'm pretty sure one is fake, right?
9l8wzr.jpg

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Where did you get them and which one do you think is fake and why?

The bottom one looks like the newest 2000 mah AWs. The top one looks like the 2012/2013 wrapper and hologram, but I don't have one that old to compare it to any more.

Lastly... Why are you buying 2000 mah AWs? The new 2200s are a lot more popular due to the higher amp limit and better drain curve... and the 1600s were preferred for the same reasons until the 2200s came out.... I only ask out of curiosity because I happen to not mind them as much as a lot of other ECF-ers seem to, but I have some pretty good reasons...

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The top battery has a solid recycle symbol. Have a look at the batteries on the RTD Vapor website. You'll see that symbol is outlined, not filled in. Also, the 'RoHS' text is in bold on the authentics.

If the lower one has a tapered positive end on it, I agree with buzzzlove that is likely a counterfeit.

Reactions: Baditude

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
If the lower one has a tapered positive end on it, I agree with buzzzlove that is likely a counterfeit.

I think it's the angle of the picture.

Same photo - different angles. There's a 2200 and a 2000. The 2000 looks tapered in one but overly crimped in the other. I'm still getting used to the forum media controls. You'll have to click them to enlarge.

Since the sources of the op's batts isn't one anyone can verify has legit supply, it's just impossible to say they're counterfeit or not based on his photos... but if I'm guessing based on the photos, I'll guess one is a 2013 or early 2014 and the other is a later 2014-to current 2015 and both are legit.

Here's some 18350s that show the difference in labeling from 2013 to mid-2014. It's thumbnailed. You'll have to click it to make it bigger.

labeldifferences.jpg

Last edited:

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
I've had 2 aw 18650s and never thought much about them. Got a new mod and one didn't fit. It was too wide. Did some research and I'm pretty sure one is fake, right?
9l8wzr.jpg
I've been using AW batteries for a couple of years. I usually get them from Provape. They always look like the one on the left side of your photo. I have never seen one that looks like the one on the right.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
AW changed to the silver label with black AW in December 2013. The silver label was again changed, to the hologram, in October 2014. At the very least, the one with the black label in the pic is old stock. But I suspect it is also a fake. To the best of my knowledge, the 7.4WH wasn't printed on the older, black label AWs. Also, the type was more bold.

Reactions: WillyZee

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I don't have the knowledge to answer the question, but when I question a battery's authenticity, I take it to the recycle bin. Some of my set ups don't pull high amps, but I'm worried it could be a recycled cell, or one that was rejected. This is just one area I don't want to regret being cheap in.

I agree I would run these past RTD for their opinion. It can't hurt to ask.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
... I can't believe how many fake batteries are going around.

It's big and fast money to be made. And with no real authority or agency to police the racketeers, it will continue.

A disreputable vendor can buy hundreds of used batteries/rejects/ or otherwise poor quality batteries for maybe 20 cents a piece. Rewrap them to look similar to an AW or Sony battery and sell them for $10 a piece. Pretty good profit margin.

Reactions: tj99959

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Update:
Went back to the b&m. Sure enough, they were selling the black label one. I explained and the clerk was understanding. Thanked me for the lesson I gave him. Took pics of my other aw, and refunded my money.
Rtd, here I come.

The one with the black sticker is old... not fake (probably). The 14500 on top is a couple of years old or so and the 18650 under it is just a couple of months old or so.

blacksticker.jpg

RTD will take good care of you... And, worth mentioning again that the AW 2200 mah is more desirable to most vapers who use AW IMR 18650s than the 2000 mah. Higher amp limit and better drain curve as well as slightly more capacity.

Reactions: Baditude

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The one with the black sticker is old... not fake (probably). The 14500 on top is a couple of years old or so and the 18650 under it is just a couple of months old or so.

View attachment 455337

RTD will take good care of you... And, worth mentioning again that the AW 2200 mah is more desirable to most vapers who use AW IMR 18650s than the 2000 mah. Higher amp limit and better drain curve as well as slightly more capacity.

The AW 18650 2200 is double the continuous amp rating of the 2000; 20A vs 10A. The AW18650 1600 is higher than both, at 24A continuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread