Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Just a little comment: QuickMist is not approved by the FDA. That's why it's not available in the States. One can get it on Amazon, but it's only sold in Canada, Australia and the UK (AFAIK).

Smoking Cessation Products to Help You Quit

You may want to consider editing that statement out of the video...

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Aikanae, couldn't have said it better myself.......actually said much better! ;) Thank you for expressing our feelings so eloquently and with passion. You did nail it! :thumbs:

I luv Dimitri's ability to motivate.

The comments here are worth noting. I wonder if there is a way to do a 48 state bus tour to the various state capitols - grey hairs can pick up the bus, getting on or off as is convient for them with the final stop in Wash D.C. with the purpose of doing our own lobbying (headlines that can't be ignored in newswires). I also wonder if there isn't some sort of video template that can be used for creating home videos to get similar sized face placement and do 1 second shots of people naming their flavor and favorite equipment -> morphing into each other in a continuous video -> deliver that to Wash D.C. so that everyone can participate (and post on YouTube - who watches TV anymore anyway? At least not the commercials).

There is no doubt in my mind that org's like tobacco Free Kids are a tiny, squeeky minority and that grey hairs out number kids (<25) in vaping. We are the ones who got hooked BEFORE we knew the full details about how tobacco companies were manipulating cigs and it appears the FDA has let them continue.

We pay the additional taxes on every pack (to cover healthcare from smoking), we are the reason states get extra money from tobacco companies (to cover healthcare for our smoking - ha!), and again, they want smokers to pay a surcharge for healthcare from smoking? You know that'll be a reason for taxes on ecigs too. I could keep going. But enough is enough.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Just a little comment: QuickMist is not approved by the FDA. That's why it's not available in the States. One can get it on Amazon, but it's only sold in Canada, Australia and the UK (AFAIK).

Smoking Cessation Products to Help You Quit

You may want to consider editing that statement out of the video...

We might want to look that up or similar inhalers because I've run into references for it in the US / or it's widely available here anyway. The page you linked to is dated 2009 and a lot has happened since then.

Merryhellion

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2013
Burlington, WI, USA
What a well spoken, bright, wonderful lady! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!!

Having her in our corner is one of the coolest things I can imagine!

Reminded me, I have 4 cartons of Djarum Clove cigs in my mud room that have remained untouched since I started vaping...may just have to send em to the curb next Rubbischnacht in celebration of this video!

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
We might want to look that up or similar inhalers because I've run into references for it in the US / or it's widely available here anyway. The page you linked to is dated 2009 and a lot has happened since then.

I really tried. There's not an ounce of evidence the Quickmist is FDA approved. And you can't buy it here...

But if someone can find otherwise, I'd be thrilled!

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Well, it's here, and there are reviews from people in the US, and no restrictions that I could see anywhere?
I even popped it in my cart and ran it through just short of payment, seems available.

Amazon.com: Nicorette QuickMist Mouthspray 1 x 150 Freshmint: Health & Personal Care

1 mg nic per.

But it's being shipped from Canada or the UK.

What I meant to say is, one can't buy it in the U.S. It has to be imported.

I really want to be wrong on this one, BTW. I've been waiting for the FDA to approve it. :facepalm:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
But it's being shipped from Canada or the UK.

What I meant to say is, one can't buy it in the U.S. It has to be imported.

I really want to be wrong on this one, BTW. I've been waiting for the FDA to approve it. :facepalm:

I think your right, the mist is available in CA, UK and AU probably due to foriegn development (sunscreen). It appears enforcement is lax in the US (like sunscreen was until Loreal obtained patent in the US).
http://wivapers.blogspot.com/2013/01/new-nicotine-product-shows-antz-e.html
Nicotine quick-fix mouth spray helps some quitters | Reuters

What I saw was the inhaler which has been available since 2010. I don't see a heck of a lot difference IMO. Droplet size?
Prescription NICOTROL® Inhaler (nicotine inhalation system) | Safety Info

I don't know, the press on both seem very ironic in that they both describe attempts to do exactly what ecigs successfully do but obviously less so (still maintaining apx 3% quit rates long term) and at far higher prices with the same + more (questionble?) ingredients. They all have approval by orgs like ALA and ACS too, of course. :facepalm:

And according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 36 percent of the nation's smokers try to kick the habit each year -- but only three percent succeed in quitting for six months or more.

Little wonder the facepalm has become my most used emoticon since these deeming regulations appeared.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Little wonder the facepalm has become my most used emoticon since these deeming regulations appeared.

;)

Anyway, I'd love for the FDA to approve QuickMist. Just look at those delicious ingredients (and directions).

Directions (verbatim) from Nicorette QuickMist (Johnson&Johnson):

"Adults and Children over 12 years of age
Use 1 or 2 sprays when cigarettes normally would have been smoked or if cravings emerge. If after the first spray cravings are not controlled within a few minutes, a second spray should be used. If 2 sprays are required, future doses may be delivered as 2 consecutive sprays.
Most smokers will require 1-2 sprays every 30 minutes to 1 hour."

And the list of ingredients: ;)

Propylene glycol
Anhydrous ethanol
Trometamol
Poloxamer 407
Glycerol--(that's VG for those who don't know)
Sodium hydrogen carbonate
Levomenthol
Mint flavour
Cooling flavour
Sucralose
Acesulfame potassium
Hydrochloric acid--ewwwwwww.... :evil:
Purified water
Alas, I couldn't find any evidence that the FDA has approved the Mist.

And since I love the video, and I don't want any stoopid ANTZ to attack it, I brought this to y'all's attention. :)

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Well one of the benefits of the mist is having a complete ingredient list too. I was looking for the list with the inhaler and there's no mention or a carrier for the nicotine on the fact sheet, but it contains a warning for people who are sensitive to menthol. What menthol? Nicotrol® Inhaler(nicotine inhalation system)10 mg per cartridge(4 mg delivered)

I tried that too. I still have a box in my drawer. The nastiest thing I've ever tried in my futile attempts to quit with the FDA-approved NRTs. This thing is vile.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Hm-m-m-m, Katya, if the Nicorette QuickMist is good enough for the people in Europe and Canada, why not here? I remember back in the mid 1980's when I heard about this new Nicorette Gum only couldn't get it because it was not available in the States. Hubby did bring me back some from England on one of his trips. Nasty stuff.....and really strong for me.

Wonder why the FDA seemingly delays approval for a substitute nicotine delivery system here and Europe gets them much quicker? Are the Europeans drug companies' "lab rats" OR does the FDA drag its feet for the TOBACCO companies' purposes? Just throwing stuff out there......:D

Aikanae, 10mg per cartridge but only 4mg delivered......Where does 6mg go? :p

I'm JUST a befuddled "old person". Let the FDA come after me and set me straight about how things work......:laugh:

Lovin' that you guys are delving into this. Makes for some informative reading. Thank youse!!!! ;)

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Aikanae, 10mg per cartridge but only 4mg delivered......Where does 6mg go? :p

What I understand from reading the studies (I'm not a scientist) is that we don't absorb all of the nicotine the products contain, only a portion. And then we exhale a portion of what we absorbed. That's why "second hand" anything is absurd.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I don't know, the press on both seem very ironic in that they both describe attempts to do exactly what ecigs successfully do but obviously less so (still maintaining apx 3% quit rates long term) and at far higher prices with the same + more (questionble?) ingredients. They all have approval by orgs like ALA and ACS too, of course. :facepalm:

Could it be... that people like FLAVORS??? And even more outrageous... THEY LIKE TO CHOOSE THE FLAVORS THEMSELVES??? :shock:

The mist, and the nicotrol inhaler, apparently taste like "mint." Well, there's mint and mint -- spearmint, peppermint, and wintergreen, basically, and I detest spearmint; I quit smoking menthol cigarettes at the age of 16, because I just dislike walking around tasting mint all the time! Maybe if they'd made those things taste like TOBACCO! they'd have been more successful! But even there, there's a HUGE range of tastes -- I despise most tobacco, except Virginia.

I think if either the mist or the inhaler had caught on to this basic fact -- that people have TASTE BUDS! -- they'd both have been a lot more successful. Heck I learned to swallow pills at the age of 6, to get away from that rancid cherry flavor they use in all kids' medicines -- that stuff is NASTY, and turned me off cherry flavor for DECADES.

Andria

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Could it be... that people like FLAVORS??? And even more outrageous... THEY LIKE TO CHOOSE THE FLAVORS THEMSELVES??? :shock:

The mist, and the nicotrol inhaler, apparently taste like "mint." Well, there's mint and mint -- spearmint, peppermint, and wintergreen, basically, and I detest spearmint; I quit smoking menthol cigarettes at the age of 16, because I just dislike walking around tasting mint all the time! Maybe if they'd made those things taste like TOBACCO! they'd have been more successful! But even there, there's a HUGE range of tastes -- I despise most tobacco, except Virginia.

I think if either the mist or the inhaler had caught on to this basic fact -- that people have TASTE BUDS! -- they'd both have been a lot more successful. Heck I learned to swallow pills at the age of 6, to get away from that rancid cherry flavor they use in all kids' medicines -- that stuff is NASTY, and turned me off cherry flavor for DECADES.

Andria

I don't understand the mentality that adults don't want good tasting anything. Where does it say that after adulthood (whatever that is) people gravitate to bland tasting foods, drinks, etc. I certaintly don't want to vape castor oil...

It's the puritanical mindset that "we must not" enjoy the pleasures of life because it's a "sin." Phooey!!!

HoneyGram57

Mar 31, 2014
Kentucky
I did want to quit, very badly, and had very thoroughly psyched myself up, but I was SO weary of endless, humiliating, depressing effort/failure cycles that I secretly felt as much dread as excitement waiting for the first little kit.

It actually took me about 30 minutes to quit smoking. Seriously. After all those years of miserable struggle.

That for me it involved no real effort, no cravings, no weird symptoms, nothing but this ridiculously interesting and fun TOY (we're talking over 40 years of chain smoking) was just... well, insane. And miraculous.

Under all of my anger about this vicious FDA circus I'm just so intensely sad.
My beautiful Mom could probably have lived another 20 years if she'd had them.
The hundreds of lung cancer and COPD victims that I served working hospice might have been spared that hell, every one of them a long-time smoker. (And they kept chain-smoking right to the end, most of them. Blaming themselves for killing themselves, all kinds of ashamed, and smoking.)

Think of that - decades with every cessation trick and product out there, nothing would budge it; 30 minutes with an e-cig and done. Never looked back.

And all of the hundreds and hundreds of stories told in here, year after year - so many really moving successes, happy people. I still love reading them. Also my daughter, my son-in-law, clients, friends - they don't count because their experience is anecdotal?

Then start tallying properly! What a load of BS.

If they'd just see how horribly stupid and vicious it is to do anything but celebrate, promote and perfect this brilliant and benevolent bit of human ingenuity...
Stupid on the one hand, vicious on the other.

I really want to win this thing.

Mutter mutter.
You've just told my story better than I could have ever said it! Now all I see when I look at cigarettes is how ugly they are. I see all these cigarette butts littering the grounds, smell that awful smell, see the tiny burns in clothing, the tar staining on hands & fingernails, and remember my own medical cost! I never want to be a slave to that cycle again and I'm angry that a politician will decide my fate!:mad: I just keep telling myself," By the people, for the people" and pray the majority in DC remember that also.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hm-m-m-m, Katya, if the Nicorette QuickMist is good enough for the people in Europe and Canada, why not here? I remember back in the mid 1980's when I heard about this new Nicorette Gum only couldn't get it because it was not available in the States. Hubby did bring me back some from England on one of his trips. Nasty stuff.....and really strong for me.

Oh, Jeannie! You're asking very difficult questions. :D

Please note that QuickMist is sold in Australia, where e-cigs were recently banned, and in Canada, where their use is restricted. :facepalm:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-cig-ban-western-australia.html#post13088816

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Well, ta dah! ta dah! :laugh: Kayta, they came out recently (yesterday?) with a new possitive study in England that concluded e-cigs are 60 percent more effective than any other NRT!!!! 5,000 people in study over 5 yrs.......Think that's right.

Just think what that means to Australia, Canada, and England! Even to us! It's being posted in a lot of places. It will give you a warm feeling all over. :p

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Well, ta dah! ta dah! :laugh: Kayta, they came out recently (yesterday?) with a new possitive study in England that concluded e-cigs are 60 percent more effective than any other NRT!!!! 5,000 people in study over 5 yrs.......Think that's right.

Just think what that means to Australia, Canada, and England! Even to us! It's being posted in a lot of places. It will give you a warm feeling all over. :p

It did! :)

And I hope that Australian vapers will again be able to vape... Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread