1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

I wanna try a genny

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by Cvilledustin, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Cvilledustin

Cvilledustin Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hi PEPs, I've been curious for a while now and I want a Genny Atty. I've been using a kayfun and carto tanks the whole time so it's time for a change. So I'm looking for a cheap one. Been eyeballing the rsst and the aga ones.

Suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. Cvilledustin

Cvilledustin Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

And I'm in the wrong forum. I must be sleepy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. WharfRat1976

WharfRat1976 Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Find one that has a topper that will close the chamber down closely for good flavor. I have had zero success using mesh so use small cotton wicks. I have not given up on mesh...good luck...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

4. DreamWithin

DreamWithin
    Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    It's all good, I got your back ;-) Moved to Rebuildable Atomizers forum

5. DreamWithin

DreamWithin
    Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Those options are worth checking out since you're looking to limit the price. I've used the RSST and it performed well for me

6. Dissonance

Dissonance Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If you've never used a genny before, the RSST would be a great way to go. It's a good atomizer, with nice wide insulated wick holes. Having them insulated will be a big help, especially for a "newbie" to gennys, since when you go to pulse your coil to get all the shorts out it'll start glowing from the top AND bottom versus just the top. Oh, and the spring loaded capture method on the positive post is great, makes it very easy to catch your lead even if you're using something like ribbon wire that's a lot harder to catch under a normal screw.

The AGA's aren't bad, couldn't give you specifics unless I knew which one you were looking at... I have an AGA-T2, and it's OK. Smaller wick holes than the RSST, and the positive post connection takes some getting used to (3 nuts... assuming you're doing single coil, gotta make sure the bottom 2 are TIGHT before you tighten that top one or you're just gonna spin all 3 and probably mess your coil up or pop your lead out from between them). Personally I don't use stainless steel in mine... I make a U-wick of cotton with little/no tails going to the tank and use it as an "auto-dripper". This works great, but not really the way it's designed to be used and a bit harder to set up versus a stainless steel wick.

But yeah... The RSST is definitely the one I would suggest if you haven't used a genesis before. They even have dual coil RSST's out now, so if you're a dual coil fan you should probably check those out :)

7. BobC

BobC Reformed Squonker Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Just ask around here, I'm sure you will find tons of folks that have retired all their gennies, and would want to send you one

8. PaulBHC

PaulBHC Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Desert Vapes has the RSST for $20 and $3 shipping. I ended up with a second after liking the first. Good starter kit. I use cotton or rayon with 1.5-1.8 single coil.

9. SteamHead

SteamHead Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

10. Tbev

Tbev Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

I have just about every genny around and I recommend the pulse genny, you will have a hard time finding one but the clones are good too. They are the best flavor out of anything I've used and they work best with single coil setup and the reducer, plus it doesn't have all the extra heavy metal around like a turbine or kraken to hold heat and it's definitely better than any aga.

11. JohnnyEars

JohnnyEars Senior Member Verified Member

RSST with the pyrex tank is a good starter genny - even better if you can get the chamber reducer add on. Like others have said, the insulated wick holes make using mesh a little easier.

12. Blackboar

Blackboar Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The Pyrex RSST is a great genny. I've had mine for about 2 months now. I have Kayfun Lite+ that I've been using for about 3 months. Both serve me well. A lot of people don't favor genies because they are more work to set up. But I can say after setting up the RSST a couple of times, it takes me no longer to rewick the RSST as it does the Kayfun. With a bit of practice, I'll have a new SS mesh wick and coil in it, filled and ready to go in about 15 minutes.

A couple tips on SS mesh. Torching it really we'll helps tremendously with dealing with the shorts. Pulsing it on a mech vs a regulated mod has much less headaches, just be mindful to use a 1/2 charged battery and do quick pulses.

Have fun with it! It's definitely a great vape!

13. Maurice Pudlo

Maurice Pudlo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have to second this opinion, the Pulse G is a very nicely designed genesis atomizer with an especially large number of options as far as to how you can build it.

In general genesis atomizers are getting a bad rap because they take skill to build, for those who use them they are loved because they are a thing of beauty that works well.

Maurice

14. Kyi

Kyi Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I am also curious about trying a genesis style but the whole mesh thing turns me off a bit. Seems more... intimidating to work with. I'm also quite comfortable with my kayfuns but I may try a genny in the future. How does it vape compared to something like the kayfun? Or shall I say, what are its vaping differences compared to something like the kayfun and why would one prefer a genesis style over a rebuildable tank or dripping style atomizer?

15. Rule62

Rule62 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just my opinion, But for my money, the best genny out there right now is the Kraken.

16. milescadre

milescadre Super Member ECF Veteran

just got one and wont look back.

Adjustable air flow, single or dual coil options, very nice atty.

Got dual ribbon coils on mine, total resistance is around 0.49 ohms and its vaping like a champ, even without tilting :D mesh wicks too, though I havent let it go too far blow half so far.

17. Rule62

Rule62 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I run mine about the same way, except I don't use ribbon wire. Dual mesh wicks. About .5 ohm.

18. JimzDogz

JimzDogz Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The biggest difference between a well setup Genesis and a KFL, is that the coil and SS wick on the Gen will last for a month or more without replacing it. Where as on a KFL the wick will need replacing every couple of days using cotton and most other wicks. The flavor will be comparable and the vapor production is a little better on the Gen. The build is easier on a KFL, but you're required to do it a lot more often. I hope that helps.

19. hippesthippo

hippesthippo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

When I first got my Kraken, I kept stubbornly trying to get the wrong size SS Rope to fit using dual coils, which didn't work and I gave up on it. Being that it looks so darn pretty (naval brass ...), I picked it back up again several weeks later and gave cotton a try with dual coils. Nope.. dry hits like crazy. Couldn't take it out with me either, so I basically viewed it as an oversized dripper.. kind of awkward with no real use.

Finally, several months later, just recently actually, I finally picked up some mesh and decided to build it the way gennies were intended. Single coil with a ss mesh wick. (albeit, 6strands of 32g twisted, .7ohms. :>)

Vapes wonderfully now. Glad I stuck with it. Gennies are a unique vape, mesh gives more of a crisp taste than a dense taste. Not a dripper, not a kayfun, but definitely worthwhile. Great, warrrm flavor.

20. Tinkiegrrl

Tinkiegrrl Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I managed with a cotton build on my Kraken. It was good, but wasn't worth it to me since it leaked on its side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.