Status
Not open for further replies.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
Hello! I have been away from the forums for a while. Taking me a bit to get used to the new layout...wowsers!

So...last week I received a phone call from a vendor I frequently use and they informed me that are giving away 1 mod/week in November. Placing an order enters you to win. And guess what? I actually won!

They sent me a Smok XPro M50.

Now...I've been vaping for many years, but for the past 2 years I've been very content with my stick style VV batteries and my ProTank. I have 1 liquid that I use and one only. I have found my comfort zone of vaping at around 4.1 or 4.2 volts with 2.2 ohm coils.

Not sure how to use the MOD. What kind of batteries do I need? It says in the pamphlet to get 18650 batteries. There's so many different kinds, I don't know where to begin.

Also...this MOD measures in wattage. If I want the same experience I like and that I am used to at 4.1 V at 2.2 ohms, how much wattage should I use? Or can this MOD not be used with the type of vaping I like?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Found a video for you here. Scroll down near the bottom of the page. Apparently although it has only wattage and mech modes it does a also display corresponding ohms and volts in wattage mode.

Sorry can't help with battery info. Need to figure out which one to get for the mod that I recently won.

Reactions: SchmidtyKy

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
To be honest I don't think I'd be comfortable with a mod that has a "Mech-Mode" that might possibly be enabled inadvertantly. Sounds like we both like the same vape range. This mod is capable of that range. If it were me I'd sell or trade it in the classifieds and stock up on spinners and Evod heads. But only because I have no interest in studying Mech safety.

Last edited:

rallykid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
Michigan
First, congrats on winning. If it is something you think you will use after reading up on it then go for it. If not then trade or sell it.

As far as batteries I use Samsung 25r's, Sony VTC4 and green Imren (not sure which model off the top of my head) and they all work great in my single and dual battery mods. The LG's are highly rated as well but I have never tried them. You will also need a charger. I use an efest Luc v4 but many people use the Nitecore as well, it is all personal preference.

It will definitely be a huge step up from what you are using now but it may be a step you don't want or don't need, that comes down to your personal preference.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
Thanks for the helpful advice and information! I will watch the video that Foggy posted...and do a lil additional research. Part of what I like about my current and plain set up is the extreme simplicity...and the practically zero maintenance. Looks like this MOD may be a little more advanced than I am comfortable with for right now...but will at least give it a fair shot.

I like the idea of trading it for some spinner batteries if I end up not enjoying it.

And what the hell does "mech mode" mean? This is how basic of a vaper I am. But hey...I haven't had a cig in more than 2 years!

Reactions: Foggy Road

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
You probably wont need a charger. The 18650 battery is held in by four screws. You'll probably only want to open it up when the battery is in need of replacing. Use the on board USB charging instead.

As a regulated mod limited to 50w maximum, you are safe with any quality 20A battery (resistance isn't a factor in the calculation for a regulated... just wattage and battery voltage).
Because of your lower power needs, and the annoyance of swapping the battery, I'd suggest the slightly higher capacity LG HG2 (20A/3000mAh). Should run about $7. Probably go quite a while on a charge too. :D

Don't worry about using wattage. You can read the applied voltage and work up to what's best for you. It's easy to use either, you just get used to it.
Mech Mode shouldn't be a worry either. First... the menu system requires several steps to switch modes. Secondly... it merely applies the current full battery voltage, 4.2 volts with a full charged battery. Max. You're already there.
Not a problem for your higher res coils. It's the low ones that can get a bad surprise.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
Hey gang!

So...I took my new mod to work because one of our work study students (I work for a college) is into vaping and he uses a similar set up. I just gave him the parts and mod and said "So.....I don't know what to do with this". He helped me.

My mod takes 18650 batteries...and he has tons of them, says he gets them cheap on Amazon/Ebay, and he simply gave me one.He gave me advice on how to adapt to the wattage stuff. Advised me to start at 10 watts and adjust as needed. It seemed fine at around 10.2 watts, which was weird, because the display on the mod marked this as 4.5 volts...even though I usually only vape between 4-4.2 volts on my VV batteries.

Vaped it off and on throughout the day no problem. Then I got home and things started tasting funny..as if the voltage was too high. I changed back to my regular stick VV battery and works fine. Just slapped a new coil on right before lunch, so I don't think it's that. I think I simply need to play around with the wattage some more to find my sweet spot...although I'm now confused as to why it worked fine all afternoon.

I like the way it fits in my hand and I think I'm going to go ahead and hang on to it. And this way if I do decide to get into more advanced atty type stuff, I will at least have the equipment for it. I have more options this way I guess.

Thanks again for your help everyone! Happy vaping!

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
First, congrats on winning. If it is something you think you will use after reading up on it then go for it. If not then trade or sell it.

As far as batteries I use Samsung 25r's, Sony VTC4 and green Imren (not sure which model off the top of my head) and they all work great in my single and dual battery mods. The LG's are highly rated as well but I have never tried them. You will also need a charger. I use an efest Luc v4 but many people use the Nitecore as well, it is all personal preference.

It will definitely be a huge step up from what you are using now but it may be a step you don't want or don't need, that comes down to your personal preference.

Turns out I do not need a charger...the mod came with a USB charger. You just screw off the bottom of the device, put the battery in...and no need to take it out until it needs replacing. So that's good. I also notice a difference in the strength of my vape...if that makes sense. Enjoying it so far!

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
You probably wont need a charger. The 18650 battery is held in by four screws. You'll probably only want to open it up when the battery is in need of replacing. Use the on board USB charging instead.

As a regulated mod limited to 50w maximum, you are safe with any quality 20A battery (resistance isn't a factor in the calculation for a regulated... just wattage and battery voltage).
Because of your lower power needs, and the annoyance of swapping the battery, I'd suggest the slightly higher capacity LG HG2 (20A/3000mAh). Should run about $7. Probably go quite a while on a charge too. :D

Don't worry about using wattage. You can read the applied voltage and work up to what's best for you. It's easy to use either, you just get used to it.
Mech Mode shouldn't be a worry either. First... the menu system requires several steps to switch modes. Secondly... it merely applies the current full battery voltage, 4.2 volts with a full charged battery. Max. You're already there.
Not a problem for your higher res coils. It's the low ones that can get a bad surprise.

Thanks! I am getting used to it. And yes...the menu system requires tons of steps to change modes. I think it also requires the blood of a virgin sacrifice to make it happen. I'm just going to leave that alone for right now.

rallykid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
Michigan
Just keep an eye on it while it is charging and don't leave it unattended. Things have been known to go wrong with some of the internal chargers. A lot of people use them but I have always used my 4 bay external charger (I have 12 batteries I rotate through) and always have a spare battery on hand for my single 18650 mods.

Glad you are enjoying it and it is working out for you.

HighPlainsPuffer

Jul 9, 2015
in flux
the m50/m65 is a great little device, but there is one slightly annoying built in safety, as the battery voltage drops the mod decreases the wattage it's putting out automatically. at 7 or 10 watts there will be no difference, but at 50 once the battery drops enough in voltage it'll drop you to 45 watts, than 40, and so on. I don't use my m65 much cause I like removable batteries, and taking screws out to change a battery isn't removable to me! and yes, the menu of the m50/m65 is a huge pain... the koopor also has an annoying menu setup.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
No ideas here. I do wish your friend with all the batteries lived next door so I could check out the Cloupor Mini+ that I won. I'll get around to ordering one tho. Just not a priority right now.

It probably has to do with me screwing up the wattage since I'm not used to it. I realize that issues with vaping are caused by user error about 99% of the time.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
the m50/m65 is a great little device, but there is one slightly annoying built in safety, as the battery voltage drops the mod decreases the wattage it's putting out automatically. at 7 or 10 watts there will be no difference, but at 50 once the battery drops enough in voltage it'll drop you to 45 watts, than 40, and so on. I don't use my m65 much cause I like removable batteries, and taking screws out to change a battery isn't removable to me! and yes, the menu of the m50/m65 is a huge pain... the koopor also has an annoying menu setup.

This.

That conductivity/power issue with that thing, plus the menu and
menu delays, drove me nuts when i had a vapemergency and one
of my vapemates loaned me one on these until i could get a new mod.

If the conductivity/power issue gets to you, there this:

get out the drill and sandpaper :)

I thought id never again get near another Smok mod, but i just got
a Smok TreeBox (75w TC) yesterday (after having two faulty VTC Minis)
and thankfully it has no such issues, and the menu delays are gone too

Dodgy mods, we all get our share of them....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread