Identity theft exposure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toots

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
USA
TV website shoppers are now required to submit partial social security numbers electronically for any purchases, even non tobacco items. Identity theft experts report that it is not difficult to determine complete social security numbers from these partial components.
If you have not secured your financial data by purchasing one of the identity and financial fraud protection services, or freezing your credit, shoppers may risk more than credit card fraud, but identity theft as well. Please do some research on your exposure before submitting such sensitive info unnecessarily. You just might find yourself in a costly and frustrating situation. BE INFORMED AND CAUTIOUS.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
What is a TV website?
And I would never provide a partial social security number to any vendor.
Heck, I don't provide to a doctor anymore.
And I am fairly certain that they're not allowed to require it - I could find the legal precedent I'm vaguely remembering - do you have any documentation of what you're talking about?

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
From their newsletter this month:

Of Legal Age

You may have noticed a new feature on our website: age verification. Because we provide tobacco related products, we are required by law to verify the age of our customers. The legal age for tobacco consumers in the United States is 18. During this process, you will be asked to supply the last four digits of your social security number. You will only need to do it once per account, and the information is run through an off-site, national database that verifies your identity and age. We do not retain, or even see any of this personal information and we can guarantee that your identity will be protected and secure. If you have any issues or difficulties with the new age verification process, feel free to e-mail us at mi eam@tas apor.us and we are happy to assist you.

I'll be missing my Markimar's Watermelon Bubblegum, which I've been ordering exclusively _forever_ - but I wouldn't get near this with a ten foot pole. The gall in just blatantly thinking they can ship all my personally identifiable information including partial social (which is of questionable legality anyway) to some other company that isn't even identified, and that's just going to be ok? Mind-boggling.

The biggest bummer is that they're just a couple hours from me - next day delivery if I paid for same day mixing. [shrug]

Their brains fell out - deep sigh - time for me to move on.

[edit - incidentally: I have "issues or difficulties with the new age verfication [sic] process", so I did feel free to email them. To-date, I've heard nothing back. In fairness, it's only been a couple days.]

Last edited:

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
My last order went through before this was put in place but... now I am gonna have to think if I should look elsewhere due to this... and that would be DIFFICULT re German Chocolate Cake, Café Mocha, Cherry Cough Drop, etc.

IMO, this function should be TURNED OFF until and only if, it becomes required by law.

Given the recent NSA scandal and the concerns about invasion of personal privacy there, probably will be a LONG TIME before something like this becomes required by law. Also, I believe you can get Nicorette gum right off the shelf and check it out at the auto line at Walmart and there really isn't much difference here re that.

Geoff, IMO the wind has turned in the other direction on things like this and so, IMO would be best to turn this function off until and only if it becomes required by law.

proxy

Oct 25, 2009
Mountain House, CA
Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous. I used to live close enough to where I could walk in, place my order and then walk out with juice within about 10 minutes. I moved about an hour+ away and don't get out to Oakland all that much.

Between the overly intrusive age-verification system, the inconsistency of flavor, and the turn around time for online orders, I think I will need to find a new vendor for my everyday vape. I love Tasty Vapor juice so much, but it will have to be an occasional treat that I can pick up whenever I make it over to the oakland area. Sorry guys.

Quexos

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
USA
...the inconsistency of flavor, and the turn around time for online orders...

Yeah, there is that too. After trying Pina Colada and loving it, I had about $45 worth of Pina Colada + Doubler shipped to me that turned out had no flavor at all. Sadly I had already mixed it with the first batch that was good, and ruined it all ($60 worth ruined). Tasted like straight up steam. In a nutshell I was told one of the mixers had made a bad batch or two, but NOTHING was done or offered to compensate me for my $45 worth of 'steam juice'. :unsure:

Seems this is still a problem a year or two on. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tasty-vapor/406740-doublers-tastes-weaker-than-ones-nic.html

Last edited:

river.guy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Bullhead City, AZ
It is doubtful that Tasty Vapor would parter with some nefarious entity. As a business that wants repeat customers, it wouldn't make sense. My guess is they would be looking out for our best interests when partnering with a company, just like the one that collected my payment (merchant account). I guess I will take my chances...to each his own.

destiny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Talking Rock, Georgia
Okay, so I just tried to re-order some juice and saw this new ss number verification thing. I didn't like it, but wanted some juice! So, against my better judgement, I put my number and like someone else, was denied. It offered the option of doing it 'manually" what ever that means, but when I clicked on that, it said that it would not be a "secure" page. I thought HECK NO! and got out of there!

Geez, I didn't expect to have such problems ordering from my favorite vendor. It just seems really weird that no other vendor I use is doing this. Just don't get a good feeling with this.

Are we really going to have to give up Tasty Vapor Juice? Geez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread