FDA If not regulation then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I can see regulation as having benefits to the consumer.My problem is what kind of regulation
do you need to make a liquid that has basically the same ingredient count as Kool-Aid?
Water,sugar and powder. PG/VG,flavoring and, nicotine.Both being just as easy and safe to
make.
:2c:
Regards
Mike
Look at the very last line that you quoted. It's not so much us that needs the Consumer Confidence (although there are some that are memebers here that do need that) but Importantly, those that may switch from smoking.

Take into consideration all the negative press that has been inundating the masses for years now. I can see where something that SJ is talking about would be beneficial.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
@SmokeyJoe

Have you considered proposing or endorsing some form of legislation or regulations? Something that toe's the line and could possibly keep everyone happy?

I am a member of several pro firearm organizations that locally write, propose and endorse certain forms firearm law and what we have found is that it is best for US to be the ones writing the laws in a proactive way rather than being reactive in what laws others are pushing.

I understand this is a global forum and the logistics may be difficult but I would venture to guess there are a few lawyers around here who would be more then willing to take up the cause for nothing more than name recognition - at least that is the case in some other ventures I'm involved in.

In summary it may be in the vaping world's favor to come out with some proposed regulation ourselves instead of waiting to see what the respective governments bring forth first. After all, vapors know more about vaping and what needs regulated more than non-vapors.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
I've suggested this to many - and almost universally I get a: "oh, that's interesting, I'll take a look at it." But the reality is that the FDA is hell-bent on regulating nicotine under its full jurisdiction, so there's almost no point in making these suggestions save for a "wouldn't it be nice" conversation point.

That said, I've made this point in my OMB submission.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Look at the very last line that you quoted. It's not so much us that needs the Consumer Confidence (although there are some that are members here that do need that) but Importantly, those that may switch from smoking.

Take into consideration all the negative press that has been inundating the masses for years now. I can see where something that SJ is talking about would be beneficial.
I understand all that. Consider this. If it was Kool-Aid that was replacing cigarettes
would we be right where we are at right now? How about if one found out doing
breathing exercises through a McDonald's straw alleviated the need to smoke?
Why are not the regulations already on the books concerning restaurant and food
processing sufficient to protect the health and safety of the consumer?
That is all Indiana requires for facility's manufacturing e-juice. Of course they
added all the ridiculous security and product tracking.
There is no regulation that isn't already on the books that could make the manufacturer
of e-juice any more safer then it already is. The reason why we have so many new
juice vendors coming aboard every day is because its as easy to make as Kool-Aid.
The process of making it and the ingredients used make it inherently safe to make.
The cost of raw materials is so low one would spend more money for any possible
replacement materials to save costs. I believe if we start acting like we believe
its safe (and compared to smoking it is) it would help our cause immensely.
I am aware of the health concerns that many have. It could potentially do this.
It might cause that. Then there's the obligatory long term studies. Well the
potentially this and the it might cause that still hasn't happened. As far as
the long term studies go,current studies indicate there won't be any there,there.
Four years ago I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. The onset of COPD was
suspected but,as I have no insurance proper testing wasn't done. Today my
lungs are completely clear. Maybe this is why I am the way I am about these things.
Life experience has made a believer out of me. I wish more people would believe
with out having to do what I have done to reach the same conclusion.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Let's be quite clear - this is not regulation. A set of rules that, by the FDA's own admission, will cause 99% of the industry to be outlawed is prohibition by another name.

Yeah, let's be clearer than that. Regulation defined can include prohibition, or it can prohibit some behavior (normal definition) or products. FDA is a regulatory agency. Regulatory agencies can mandate or prohibit. It's what they do.

The problem is this: the FDA can't regulate our industry. All it can do is regulate a subset of it, so it's calling for the bit it can't deal with to be outlawed.

It can absolutely regulate the ecig industry and/or a subset of it.

This is corporatism in action: crony capitalism, perhaps.

While I can accommodate the common use of 'crony capitalism' - there is no part of capitalism or free market as part of the common use of it. Having gov't regulate certain industries for the benefit of only certain companies is fascism not capitalism. In most examples of this arrangement, the companies involved are well known - GM takeover, Chrysler bailout, subsidies to the solar industry - Solendra, Raser, Abound Solar and others, Halliburton, many healthcare companies, etc. etc.

What companies in the ecig industry do you think is part of this corporatism? I'm not asking what companies may benefit from the regulation, but which companies are the FDA in "partnership" with?

The sad fact is this: I'm not opposed to regulation.

I agree that's a sad fact.

With the cosmetic industry there's a body called the Cosmetic Industry Review, and it's made up of various appropriate experts who analyse the ingredients and liaise with the FDA and the Consumer Federation of America. They are independent of, but funded by, the PCPC the main trade association of the Cosmetics Industry.

That pretty much defines crony capitalism as you know it. "Trade associations" are groups funded and 'peopled' by the businesses in that industry that 'liaise' with government representatives (bought and paid for), usually to put rules in place that are too costly for smaller businesses or startups to enter their industry - basically forming a monopoly when it is one company doing this, or a cartel when it is several companies doing it. And many times, those in those trade associations go on to become part of the agencies with which they liaise. And sometimes those regulators leave gov't and become board members on the big companies it used to regulate. Perfect! ... but nothing to do with capitalism or the free market.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The sad fact is this: I'm not opposed to regulation. I think that some form of regulation probably is necessary to, if nothing else, give consumers confidence.

I'm sure that many here will profoundly disagree with me, but I see a sensible regulatory framework looking something like the way the cosmetic industry operates:
Processed food is regulated and nobody argues with that but if food processors had to treat food as though it was pharmaceuticls we'd all starve to death. I can make beer at home with no tax, no restrictions on access to raw materials and no hastle from the government so long as it's for my personal use. The FDA could take that approach to e liquid. If I can buy the hardware I want and mix at home my ox is not being gored. That means I have to have nic and I ain't payin' no more smokin taxes. My best math is a $50 1 liter of 100mg takes the place of almost 4 years of me smoking which would have cost $12,000!!! 3 bottles sounds about right. My prediction that tobacco is dead is because of the staggering cost difference, not the health benefits. I can pay $6+ for a pack of cigs or 15 cents for my daily 6 ml ration of juice? Of course kids will vape instead of smoke even if vaping is costing them more than I spend.

Regulation to protect the public health, okay. Regulation to protect vape shops and tobacco companies, not okay.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
...What companies in the ecig industry do you think is part of this corporatism? I'm not asking what companies may benefit from the regulation, but which companies are the FDA in "partnership" with?

You come right to the point, don't cha?

We know but not the public at large, the extent of the collusion and the objective, cartelism. Big Tobacco's strategy has been to encourage the FDA to apply the same legal strictures to vaping as to its industry as evidenced by Altria Groups recommendations to the FDA in June 2013. As Oliver J Olinger wrote then in his blog Juice Connoisseur,

"Tobacco companies go to extreme measures to ensure that they provide consistent product performance and reduced variability."

And this is what we'll now see in minimalist form. It has been the objective all along to steer us into proving them all right in the excesses and extremes of unbridled diversity and thereby making the necessity of regulation unavoidable.

Question is who is the enemy among us, abetting the agenda, expecting to survive the threshing?

Good luck all.

:)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Is there any place on earth where vaping is taxed sufficiently to replace lost cigarette taxes? I haven't noticed any place. Is there any place that has succeeded in enforcing a strict ban? I haven't noticed that either. Could it be that both are impractical?

Singapore, maybe; apparently they fine the hell out of vaping offenders, when they catch them. What I really want to know is, why those folks don't just move to Malaysia, especially now that Malaysia has legalized it formally.

Andria

Reactions: schatz

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

We know but not the public at large, the extent of the collusion and the objective, cartelism. Big Tobacco's strategy has been to encourage the FDA to apply the same legal strictures to vaping as to its industry as evidenced by Altria Groups recommendations to the FDA in June 2013. As Oliver J Olinger wrote then in his blog Juice Connoisseur,

"Tobacco companies go to extreme measures to ensure that they provide consistent product performance and reduced variability."

And this is what we'll now see in minimalist form. It has been the objective all along to steer us into proving them all right in the excesses and extremes of unbridled diversity and thereby making the necessity of regulation unavoidable.

Question is who is the enemy among us, abetting the agenda, expecting to survive the threshing?

Good luck all.

There's a difference between a company (companies) getting together with gov't in order to enact legislation/regulation in order to directly benefit that company(ies). A difference between that and gov't writing legislation/regulation where companies who may see a benefit from what is written, and in this case, sending 'comments' into the regulatory agency giving their viewpoints.

I've discussed this in answer to Lara C's post here:
TVECA post table of contents for Deeming Final Rule

My reply:
TVECA post table of contents for Deeming Final Rule

So while tobacco companies may be in better position to take advantage of the deeming, that doesn't necessary mean (and I don't think it does), that they helped write the deeming which was a product of Waxman, a Democrat majority in both Houses and a Democrat President who, along with certain Republicans, have been on the backs of tobacco from the beginning.

Those who wrote the Act and the Deeming, had very little concern - at the time - with ecigarettes. It is why I make the point above between a 'partnership' involved in 'crony capitalism/corporatism' vs. some companies seeing they could benefit from the deeming and supplying comments that would tend to help them. In the last case, they're no different than the 'comments' made by ALA, ACA, Robert Woods Johnson and others that sent in comments pro-deeming. They all benefit. (or think they will).

So yeah, I get right to the point :- ) vs. putting out some populist anti-BT/BP view that in my estimation doesn't hold much water and doesn't represent the actual reality of how the Tobacco Act and the Deeming came about.

And with the information that we have looked at as far as what products actually existed (and were sold in the US) at the grandfather date, I don't see tobacco being able to use any of their cigalike products as predicate products either - depending how detailed the FDA goes on what needs to be similar and what they may 'deem' as not. :- )

IF the FDA truly intends to shut down vaping, there's a good chance that nothing will be grandfathered and all 'new products' will have to go through an expensive application process, that likely, only tobacco companies could afford.

So you can cite all the fawning (and self-interested) 'comments' of Altria, RJR, Njoy, Lorillard sent in, but that doesn't, in any common definition of the phrase, mean that it's "crony capitalism". It only appears to be that some companies and organizations are taking advantage of what the FDA has written.

Just to be clear, since I mentioned them above - the ACA, ALA, Robert Wood Johnson and other anti-smoking groups likely did have some input into the legislation, but it was from an anti-smoking view, rather than an anti-vaping view that simply didn't exist at the time. And it was more about pushing an agenda than financially benefitting - other than perhaps gaining contributions from people of like mind.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
They very well may do so. Too bad we don't have a place to move to around here (for a lot of things) :facepalm: :laugh:

Yeah I was reading in their thread, that someone was fined $10,000 -- surely it would cost a lot less than that just to move? But in general I don't post in their thread; my American pro-freedom stance really doesn't apply in that benighted part of the world, and likely wouldn't be appreciated. :D

Andria

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Yeah, let's be clearer than that. Regulation defined can include prohibition, or it can prohibit some behavior (normal definition) or products. FDA is a regulatory agency. Regulatory agencies can mandate or prohibit. It's what they do.

It can absolutely regulate the ecig industry and/or a subset of it.

While I can accommodate the common use of 'crony capitalism' - there is no part of capitalism or free market as part of the common use of it. Having gov't regulate certain industries for the benefit of only certain companies is fascism not capitalism. In most examples of this arrangement, the companies involved are well known - GM takeover, Chrysler bailout, subsidies to the solar industry - Solendra, Raser, Abound Solar and others, Halliburton, many healthcare companies, etc. etc.

What companies in the ecig industry do you think is part of this corporatism? I'm not asking what companies may benefit from the regulation, but which companies are the FDA in "partnership" with?

I agree that's a sad fact.

That pretty much defines crony capitalism as you know it. "Trade associations" are groups funded and 'peopled' by the businesses in that industry that 'liaise' with government representatives (bought and paid for), usually to put rules in place that are too costly for smaller businesses or startups to enter their industry - basically forming a monopoly when it is one company doing this, or a cartel when it is several companies doing it. And many times, those in those trade associations go on to become part of the agencies with which they liaise. And sometimes those regulators leave gov't and become board members on the big companies it used to regulate. Perfect! ... but nothing to do with capitalism or the free market.

Well, perhaps. But in the case of the personal care council they seem to be reasonably inclusive - over 500 companies represented.

You're not seriously suggesting that in the case of cosmetics, regulation is not a good idea? I profoundly disagree with that, but willing to entertain the notion that this industry is the exception which proves the rule.

The fundamental point I'm making here is that there are better and more workable solutions than removing 99% of products from the market and then allowing a select few onto the market based on an arbitrary system that an agency puts into place by fiat. And, no, I don't believe that's regulation: I can't say it better than Carl Phillips, so I'll just link the article he put up last night - FDA "regulation" of e-cigarettes would not actually be regulation

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member

Good luck all.

Who knows. But this doesn't look great:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Singapore, maybe; apparently they fine the hell out of vaping offenders, when they catch them. What I really want to know is, why those folks don't just move to Malaysia, especially now that Malaysia has legalized it formally.

Andria

Malaysia started raiding shops this week. They are confiscating all liquids that contain nicotine. Tobacco products that contain nicotine are exempt. The Health Minister's reasonings included:

"It was quite clear that God didn't make our body to inhale such things!"

They used an old Poisons Act and Foods Act to justify their actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicnik

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Malaysia started raiding shops this week. They are confiscating all liquids that contain nicotine. Tobacco products that contain nicotine are exempt. The Health Minister's reasonings included:

They used an old Poisons Act and Foods Act to justify their actions.

Yeah I read that in another post this morning. SMH... I'm pretty sure that "God" or the universe never intended us to build shopping malls either, but that hasn't stopped anyone. SMH...

Andria

Reactions: EBates

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Such ignorance.
(not you Verb, but the one you are quoting)

Our body is built to inhale all sorts of things, and then filter out what's not good.
That is exactly what lungs are for, and exactly what they do.

The lungs are designed tp EXPECT bad things to come in and then deal with them properly.

This whole thing about inhaling nothing but clean air is pure crap.
And anyone that buys into that is seriously misled.

Vaping Myth: Inhaling anything other than fresh air is bad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread