Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
If you are telling me that Sweden (who has always been neutral) and Norway need protecting, tell me the last time they were invaded or threatened. :)

Well, since you asked, I believe it was in 1940. Germany invaded and conquered Norway in 2 months, despite a substantial Allied troop presence, and occupied the country for 5 years.

Although the Germans could have overrun Sweden with similar ease, there was no reason to. Sweden was of little strategic importance because Germany had them boxed in, and Sweden was more than happy to sell large quantities iron and iron ore to Germany on an exclusive basis, without which the Germans could not have carried on with its war effort. Sweden also allowed German troop and supply trains to run through Sweden. As the war drew to a conclusion and it became apparent to the Swedes that Germany was probably going to lose, the Allies nevertheless had to pay Sweden to stop selling iron ore to Germany.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
filmes-raros-1-2-guerras-mundiais-125201-MLB20297822913_052015-F.jpg

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Well, since you asked, I believe it was in 1940. Germany invaded and conquered Norway in 2 months, despite a substantial Allied troop presence, and occupied the country for 5 years.

Although the Germans could have overrun Sweden with similar ease, there was no reason to. Sweden was of little strategic importance because Germany had them boxed in, and Sweden was more than happy to sell large quantities iron and iron ore to Germany on an exclusive basis, without which the Germans could not have carried on with its war effort. Sweden also allowed German troop and supply trains to run through Sweden. As the war drew to a conclusion and it became apparent to the Swedes that Germany was probably going to lose, the Allies nevertheless had to pay Sweden to stop selling iron ore to Germany.

So, that was pretty smart of Sweden -- financially, they benefitted from both sides!

Andria

Reactions: Katya

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So, that was pretty smart of Sweden -- financially, they benefitted from both sides!

Andria

As did Switzerland. :- )

In World War II, Hitler wanted the Swiss gold reserves and needed free communications and transit through Switzerland to supply Axis forces in the Mediterranean. But when military planners looked at Switzerland's well-armed citizenry, mountainous terrain, and civil defence fortifications, Switzerland lost its appeal as an invasion target. While two World Wars raged, Switzerland enjoyed a secure peace.

In a nation of six million people, there are at least two million guns, including 600,00 fully automatic assault rifles, half a million pistols, and numerous machine guns. Virtually every home has a gun.

http://www.guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html

In 2014 there were 173 attempted and completed homicides, of which 18 involved firearms (10.4%). 41 of them were completed, therefore Switzerland had a murder rate of 0.49 per 100,000 population, the lowest raw figure and lowest rate for 33 years, since the start of the nationwide coordinated collection of statistical data, despite a strong growth of inhabitants (from 6.4 million to 8.1 million, +27%) over the same period. wiki

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I resent being lumped in with ambulance chasers. The definition of a trial lawyer is simply a lawyer who tries cases. There are all kinds of cases and all kinds of trial lawyers--civil, criminal, plaintiff, prosecution, defense, tort, contract, intellectual property, etc. You are making the common mistake of conflating trial lawyers with members of the American College of Trial Lawyers, most if not all of whose members represent plaintiffs in personal injury actions. Abraham Lincoln was a trial lawyer. So were Mohandas Gandhi, Thurgood Marshall, Clarence Darrow and Vincent Bugliosi.

Well said.

Lawyer jokes usually offend me. I am not a lawyer, and have never worked in any related field, but the jokes are nearly always demeaning. I almost always make that clear to anyone who makes a joke like that to me. Political correctness, maybe, but many lawyers do very good, very important work, and people need to know.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Was going to buy a pair of Red Ryder bb guns for my younger brothers boys who lives in my home state of NJ for Christmas, I was not aware that to own a bb gun one needs a rifle permit......I refer to my home state as the people's republic of new Jersey

Ditto that. G'luck. :)

Reactions: skoony

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Was going to buy a pair of Red Ryder bb guns for my younger brothers boys who lives in my home state of NJ for Christmas, I was not aware that to own a bb gun one needs a rifle permit......I refer to my home state as the people's republic of new Jersey

You may need a permit for poptarts as well.... or fingers even. :- )

Reactions: BackDoc

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
Ohio just voted a law which will effectively limit or ability to pass citizen initiated ballots. In response to the threat of legalized marijuana, legislature created a bill which would create an appointed 5 person counsel to review all ballots, and determine whether They Feel it creates a monopoly special tax group,etc. They then will add a second vote... Do you want to create a monopoly?
basically, this unelected committee has power to place a scarlet letter on anything issue they don't like. And I say welcome to the peoples republic of Ohio.

I realize this is wildly off topic, but...

As did Switzerland. :- )

In World War II, Hitler wanted the Swiss gold reserves and needed free communications and transit through Switzerland to supply Axis forces in the Mediterranean. But when military planners looked at Switzerland's well-armed citizenry, mountainous terrain, and civil defence fortifications, Switzerland lost its appeal as an invasion target. While two World Wars raged, Switzerland enjoyed a secure peace.

In a nation of six million people, there are at least two million guns, including 600,00 fully automatic assault rifles, half a million pistols, and numerous machine guns. Virtually every home has a gun.

http://www.guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html

In 2014 there were 173 attempted and completed homicides, of which 18 involved firearms (10.4%). 41 of them were completed, therefore Switzerland had a murder rate of 0.49 per 100,000 population, the lowest raw figure and lowest rate for 33 years, since the start of the nationwide coordinated collection of statistical data, despite a strong growth of inhabitants (from 6.4 million to 8.1 million, +27%) over the same period. wiki

Man this myth about guns in Switzerland is annoying...

You are aware that Switzerland has some pretty strict gun regulations, right? There would be riots, if not an all out civil war, if the US attempted to implement Switzerland's gun regulations here.

First, the vast majority of Swiss citizens between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into Switzerland's militia... and everyone in their militia is required to have a gun.

However...

Ammunition is pretty damn hard to get. They have to take a seriously involved test (which has to be retaken every single year), there are background checks that would make the proposed ones here in the US look pathetic, all gun and ammunition owners are subject to yearly inspections, multiple types of ammunition are banned, and so on.

Seriously... Switzerland is actually one of the best examples of the power of strict gun regulations on the entire planet. Short of Australia's cultural indifference to/hatred of guns, I wish we had Switzerland's gun regulations here in the US. We'd be much better off.

Wikipedia not a good reference? Fine. Read the regulations for yourself here if you can read German, French, or Italian, and here if you need English.

Anyways... back to you're regularly-scheduled topic...

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I realize this is wildly off topic, but...

Man this myth about guns in Switzerland is annoying...

You are aware that Switzerland has some pretty strict gun regulations, right? There would be riots, if not an all out civil war, if the US attempted to implement Switzerland's gun regulations here.

First, the vast majority of Swiss citizens between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into Switzerland's militia... and everyone in their militia is required to have a gun.

However...

Ammunition is pretty damn hard to get. They have to take a seriously involved test (which has to be retaken every single year), there are background checks that would make the proposed ones here in the US look pathetic, all gun and ammunition owners are subject to yearly inspections, multiple types of ammunition are banned, and so on.

Seriously... Switzerland is actually one of the best examples of the power of strict gun regulations on the entire planet. Short of Australia's cultural indifference to/hatred of guns, I wish we had Switzerland's gun regulations here in the US. We'd be much better off.

Wikipedia not a good reference? Fine. Read the regulations for yourself here if you can read German, French, or Italian, and here if you need English.

Anyways... back to you're regularly-scheduled topic...

Good point. Mandatory gun ownership and military or police service is still statism. A public duty is voluntary, an ethic.

Good luck.

:)

Reactions: Rossum

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

I was speaking mainly about the situation in WWI and WWII but the current stats mentioned are correct. I'm aware of the new gun control laws that Switzerland has enacted and frankly, I think that will make them less safe in the event of WWIII, let alone the citizens of their country. Wherever gun control is implemented, violent crimes rise. All the alterations done to the guns in San Bernidino and the 30 round mags were banned in California. Gun control doesn't stop criminals but it does disarm honest citizens.

But this isn't the place to argue those points so that will be the last I will say on the issue.

I was speaking mainly about the situation in WWI and WWII but the current stats mentioned are correct. I'm aware of the new gun control laws that Switzerland has enacted and frankly, I think that will make them less safe in the event of WWIII, let alone the citizens of their country. Wherever gun control is implemented, violent crimes rise. All the alterations done to the guns in San Bernidino and the 30 round mags were banned in California. Gun control doesn't stop criminals but it does disarm honest citizens.

But this isn't the place to argue those points so that will be the last I will say on the issue.

I disagree vehemently with everything but that very last sentence, so I'll lay it here, as well.

Reactions: BackDoc
You've been a member for 5 yrs and have 100 posts? :lol:

Andria

Heh... I use this forum to find info more than interact. Especially now that I can't trust Vaping360 for good reviews on products... :D I'm a lurker because for me, this site is an educational one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread