Status
Not open for further replies.

Keltrey

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Olney, Illinois
The Operational and Administrative System for Import Support(OASIS) reports that I posted above are Import Refusal Reports(IRR)s. Those companies on the reports had their product detained or halted all together depending on the outcome of FDA action. These reports are direct cooperation with US Customs officials.

INTRODUCTION TO FDA'S IMPORT REFUSAL REPORT (IRR)

The fact that it could take lengthy legal processes to stop the flow of e-liquid and devices is not correct. They can stop the shipments directly from coming into the country.

Keltrey

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Olney, Illinois
Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
It's not even that it is a new drug itself. It is that it's a new form of a known drug, which falls under the category of a new drug. Because of this it requires an NDA.

I don't think I realized nicotine was a drug since it can be bought right off the shelf in several forms. :?:

Lu

Keltrey

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Olney, Illinois
I want to make something clear real quick. I am not attempting to flame anyone. I am just trying to show how fast a ban could occur in the US.

I hope he doesn't mind me saying it, but Tropical Bob has been right in warning about bans. It's not a matter of if, its about when. There have already been products seized by customs.

I feel that the need of awareness needs to be addressed. Australia has already felt the ban, UK almost did with e-liquid. The US FDA already has its feelers out and is taking action quietly. If manufactures continue to disregard the regulations it won't be long before all import or even domestic production is halted.

The problem with NDAs is that clinical trials must be conducted, which could take years. During this time all of these products could be halted or seized upon entry to the US.

I apologize if I have offended anyone with my comments tonight, but I fear our beloved products are in jeopardy.

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
I want to make something clear real quick. I am not attempting to flame anyone. I am just trying to show how fast a ban could occur in the US.
I feel that the need of awareness needs to be addressed. Australia has already felt the ban, UK almost did with E-Liquid. The US FDA already has its feelers out and is taking action quietly. If manufactures continue to disregard the regulations it won't be long before all import or even domestic production is halted.
The problem with NDAs is that clinical trials must be conducted, which could take years. During this time all of these products could be halted or seized upon entry to the US.
I apologize if I have offended anyone with my comments tonight, but I fear our beloved products are in jeopardy.

I think it's great you have some real info about possibilities..it's not about getting pessimistic or "calling wolf" too many times..
You gave some real backup with your links and it is appreciated:)

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
The best would be (if they do get banned) for there to be a possibility of using an already legal nicotine product and getting the nicotine from that for use in the e-cig.

Cool idea, another one: use cafeine instead of nicotine, cheap, easy to get, complety legal and safer.

If the hardware is banned... well, before that happens we NEED to stay away from the real cigarette alike devices.

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
One can always make there own e-liquid,using tobacco. I order an recipe from ebay of how to do it. The batteries may be a problem and the atomizers. I feel like I have been stocking up with all the money I keep spending LOL. I think if we all thought hard enough we could overcome the batteries,atomizers,and the e-cig. We could make our own.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Wouldn't there be a realistic possibility for sueing the government for forcing a person from 'product leading to better health in the short term, long term not yet verified' to 'product known to be very unhealthy both short term and long term'? Of course the premise needed for that is that it is acknowledged by court that nicotine-addiction is a real thing (and is not sufficiently solved, for many, with existing nicotine-replacement) - so probably such cases would be taking on more then just one 'point to prove or make acceptable for court' - but wouldn't such a case stand a fair chance in the US, where personal freedom to be allowed to decide about yourself is still pretty strong in other ways?

vaposmiddie

Jan 13, 2009
California
I found this kinda interesting, on the johnsoncreeksmokejuice site:

"Johnson Creek Original Smoke Juice is fully registered with the U.S. Food & Drug Administration pursuant to Section 305 of the United States Public Health and Bioterrorism Act of 2002, P.L. 107-188
Johnson Creek FDA Registration Number: 14732819018"

have no idea what "pursuant to section...bla bla" means.

Me thinks: any Government that bans the sale of e-cig products has no interest in the health aspect, they only want to protect their income stream from tobacco.

vaposmiddie

Jan 13, 2009
California
(Posted under wrong thread 1st, sorry)

"Johnson Creek Original Smoke Juice is fully registered with the U.S. Food & Drug Administration pursuant to Section 305 of the United States Public Health and Bioterrorism Act of 2002, P.L. 107-188

Me thinks: any Government that bans the sale of e-cig products has no interest in the health aspect, they only want to protect their income stream from tobacco.

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
One can always make there own e-liquid,using tobacco. I order an recipe from ebay of how to do it. The batteries may be a problem and the atomizers. I feel like I have been stocking up with all the money I keep spending LOL. I think if we all thought hard enough we could overcome the batteries,atomizers,and the e-cig. We could make our own.

Be VERY careful with this, it could be LETAL, nicotine is a VERY dangerous poison, 60mg (60 marlboro cig nicotine content) of pure nicotine can kill a person, search this forum for more info about it, but again BE VERY CAREFUL it can kill just by putting it on the skin.

That means they are registered, nothing more...

xpdx

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2009
Pacific NW USA

I hope he doesn't mind me saying it, but Tropical Bob has been right in warning about bans. It's not a matter of if, its about when. There have already been products seized by customs.

I feel that the need of awareness needs to be addressed. Australia has already felt the ban, UK almost did with E-Liquid. The US FDA already has its feelers out and is taking action quietly. If manufactures continue to disregard the regulations it won't be long before all import or even domestic production is halted.

I worry about it too. We are up against the tobacco companies, the pharmaceutical companies, the tax man, and public health advocates who can't stand the fact that anyone smokes anything.

That's why we need to organize and have more voluntary testing of these products. If we have at least a small organized voice we might just have a chance of keeping these things on the market. We need scientists, doctors and a large group of users to back these products up. We need stories of people smoking eight packs a day for 30 years who were able to quit with e-smokes, doctors saying that it sure seems like it's less harmful, especially to people around the smoker, and scientists to explain their studies supporting this. And we need more studies, not by the government or anti-smoking groups, or tobacco companies, but real scientists who don't have an agenda.

If all else fails tho you can extract nicotine from several different plants yourself in your kitchen. Of course you need to buy some chemicals that might bring the DEA or Homeland Security to your door to do it, but it is possible if you are careful. I am working on researching this and doing a writeup on the safest way to do it. The good news is that tobacco will probably never be banned outright within our lifetimes and you can get nicotine out of tobacco pretty easily without poisoning yourself- IF you are very careful. Actually the writeup I am working on never involves pure nicotine, it ends up at a low concentration in water so you can evaporate it off slowly till you get the right % that could be but in smoke juice.

(Imagine having to set up a nic-lab in your basement like the crank addicts do!)

The hardware itself can probably be smuggled in and sold on e-bay or through underground online networks. But the argument could be made that units sold in the US (or wherever) are only for use with 0 nicotine juice.

Not that I've thought about it or anything. :sneaky:

CssReb

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
USA, NYC
I'm sure there are a few of us here old enough to remember the candy and chewing gum rolled up in paper and powdered with confectioners sugar that you could blow out to simulate smoke. It was something I enjoyed when I was a kid.. (shoulda stockpiled) ..Well heck they're banned, so it's just a matter of time for the e-cigs, unless the big CO's in the US get in on the act and taxes can be collected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread