if you could only have one....Peko Vs. Reo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
Currently I"m using a wonky Hammond box modded to bottom feed and am ready to upgrade (while i wait for the cam-m), Those of you that own both if you could only keep one which would it be? Why?.....when the cam-m is available to those of us on the wait list I'm sure the wife is gonna claim the Reo/Peko and what ever catfish atty I'm willing to give up at the time. Though she seems awfully enamored with the Vector i received last week.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
I own five REOs and previously owned two Pekos. With that said, the Peko is a fantastic mod. Super light, super tough, and hits hard. I still have one build kit left and plan on building another one which I intend to keep now that my REO stable is pretty fully. So, I love both, I just prefer REO Grands, in particular Grand SL/LPs.

And, they both look pretty kick .... I don't think you could go wrong either way.

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
I have both. Benefits of the Peko are it's super small size and placement of the squonk hole. Downside for me is the stiff button and the fact it is plastic and the 3D printing leaves a brushed look. The Reo Grand is absolutely indestructible and works flawlessly. I use my Reos every day and always have one on hand.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
If I was to choose only one it would be hands down... Reo Grand... My 18650 Peko has been absolutely awesome since day 1 I put it together and it has taken a few tumbles along the way but I am sure its just waiting for that one tumble to need some attention. They both hit very similar with the right atty / setups on them.

The Reo has been spit out of mower, fallen off the ladder several times, been knocked off the table, kicked across the room, and yet all I have to do is pick it up and vape it... I do enjoy the size factor and squonk hole placement on the Peko though. They both have some strong pro's to both of them. You couldn't go wrong with either one.

If you get either and end up passing it along to your wife, just know that the Peko can be repainted and the Reo can have a Jwrap put on it if she doesn't like the color of it. Both are very inexpensive propositions....

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
If I was to choose only one it would be hands down... Reo Grand... My 18650 Peko has been absolutely awesome since day 1 I put it together and it has taken a few tumbles along the way but I am sure its just waiting for that one tumble to need some attention. They both hit very similar with the right atty / setups on them.

The Reo has been spit out of mower, fallen off the ladder several times, been knocked off the table, kicked across the room, and yet all I have to do is pick it up and vape it... I do enjoy the size factor and squonk hole placement on the Peko though. They both have some strong pro's to both of them. You couldn't go wrong with either one.

If you get either and end up passing it along to your wife, just know that the Peko can be repainted and the Reo can have a Jwrap put on it if she doesn't like the color of it. Both are very inexpensive propositions....

Mike, are you still rocking the 26650 Peko?

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I have had switch problems since day one with it. I think I may have received some parts that just weren't in spec. Switch never fired even. It always was leaning or tilted and . At first I thought it was the nut in the switch, but it was in there straight. I think one of the lugs wasn't long enough and it just wouldn't ever line up straight. I will say though, that when it works it works great. Just not in the same ballpark as the 18650 version.

Reactions: inswva

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I'm glad I don't have to choose but if it came down to it, the Grands for the aforementioned durability factor.

Ergonomically the PeKo does take the top spot but if I picture it going through the Super_X torture test I'm afraid it wouldn't fare near as well as the Grand did.

It would be like choosing between my kids though, painful either way.

jrs99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
King George, VA
I had a rough start with the REOs. There were a couple issues that have taken a bit to get over.
After using this thing for a month or so I am finally starting to love my REO.
In my quest for a good solid mechanical squonker I looked at the PEKOs and thought about it.
However the fact that it's $100+ for a piece of plastic just kills it for me.

Thanks for the responses.....I'm defiantly leaning toward a gender neutral colored reo.....I can always pick up a pink door or something to girl it up a little if it gets handed over to the wife
The "metallic purple" was definitely not as gender neutral as I thought it would be.
Purple sparkles got sanded to rough aluminum real quick :p

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
I had a rough start with the REOs. There were a couple issues that have taken a bit to get over.
After using this thing for a month or so I am finally starting to love my REO.
In my quest for a good solid mechanical squonker I looked at the PEKOs and thought about it.
However the fact that it's $100+ for a piece of plastic just kills it for me.

The "metallic purple" was definitely not as gender neutral as I thought it would be.
Purple sparkles got sanded to rough aluminum real quick :p

If you are willing to wait a bit for the "Economy" (slower) printing from Sculpteo, you can build a white Peko (and then finish however you see fit) for about $80, which includes the cost of the parts kit.

Reactions: jrs99

jrs99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
King George, VA
TBH I still prefer something not plastic. My mod is in my hand 24/7 and I want something that feels quality.
Before I started squonking I exclusively used my Titanium GP X's with buttons that are smooth as silk. I'm still having a time getting used to the feel of the plastic button on the REO but after removing the button cap I find it's a lot smoother and acceptable.
Maybe if the PEKO was under $50 I'd consider giving it a shot but still, at the end of the day it's still just some molded plastic with maybe $5 in metal parts.

Bottom line is if I could only have one squonker, it would be a REO at the moment.
(still waiting on the Hellfire squonker. I have a feeling things may change)

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
After my experience with a 26650 Peko I'd go with a REO SL/LP. My REO's have been rock solid and don't require sanding/painting/test fit/sanding/test fit/sanding before you can use it. Don't get me wrong, my GNDA is amazing but have not even been able to use a PEKO (26650) due to the firing button.

Regardless a REO feels much better in the hand than plastic. PEKO's are very good for the total price if you are willing to put it together.

Last edited:

jchisholm

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2014
Nova Scotia
Currently I"m using a wonky Hammond box modded to bottom feed and am ready to upgrade (while i wait for the cam-m), Those of you that own both if you could only keep one which would it be? Why?.....when the cam-m is available to those of us on the wait list I'm sure the wife is gonna claim the Reo/Peko and what ever catfish atty I'm willing to give up at the time. Though she seems awfully enamored with the Vector i received last week.

Built a Peko bottom feeder with a DNA40 board. Works fine (in as much as any DNA40 given the correct planetary alignment and phase of the moon can work "fine") but when I'm heading out and want something that I know will ALWAYS work I grab my Reo.
Don't even think twice about it. Best mod I own and I own a boat load.

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
i own both and for me it's the REO hands down, no question.

also the Peko hits great yet it needs constant adjustment when switching attys at least imo, had autofire issues even using flat-tops.....REO just grab/squonk & go.

have 3 woodvils 2014 Cocobolo & 2 ,2015's (Cocobolo/Lacewood) a 2015 LP Grand and a 2014 LP mini and of-course a beautiful blk Peko.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I have both and use the PeKo a lot more, so if I could only keep one or the other, I'd keep the PeKo. It's smaller, it weighs a lot less, and I generally find it much more ergonomic and serviceable. It's ambidextrous, more comfortable to hold, easier to skonk, and easier to fill.

Button throw stiffer than you like? BTDT, fixed it.

If it auto-fires, it isn't built or adjusted right.

No, a PeKo probably wouldn't survive SXD's torture test, but I don't treat my mods like that, so it really doesn't matter to me. The sintered nylon that a PeKo body is made from is a lot tougher than you would think. I have three mods made of that material (the other two are DNAs) and all of them have been dropped from shirt pocket height on several occasions with no damage. One of them is over a year old and still going strong.

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
your rite Rossum, every-time i think it'd adjusted it works for a short while then goes back to auto-firing...i bought it this way out of the classies and i have absolutely no experience with this device or any idea how to fix it....my firing button has no spring to it whatsoever and i even put the original spring back into it with help from coaldriller who is very knowledgeable with this device.....i love it when it hits but then it just starts autofiring......wish i could just send it to somebody to fix it for me....otherwise it just sits here looking good collecting dust.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Peko for me. I find them more ergonomical, smaller, and lighter. I like the side squonk and my fingers / thumb do not hurt with it since I can squeeze the bottle with the inside of my finger between the joints instead of inserting the end into a hole to push the bottle. I work in construction and have snapped off the threads of an RM2 in the 510 with no damage to the Peko so the Nylon is pretty impact absorbant. Course if you are only worried about it not destruction under the most severe punishment then you should get a Tmod instead and you can target practice with it! lol

4nic8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
Lake Mary, FL
I have both and for me Peko is my choice, I prefer the ergonomic feel and lightweight small hand feel of the Peko. I also like that I can adjust my throw on the button by simply switching to using soldered wire and magnets I have a consistent push that's lightweight for me and using a spring and a longer throw using the taller button for the wife who tosses hers In her purse without worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread