If you have tinnitus (ringing in your ears)... Propylene Glycol is ototoxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA
I just started vaping a little over a week ago and the ringing has definitely gotten more noticeable, that actually what I was trying to look up when I found this thread. Gonna try and find a way to make it at least be less noticeable.

I am going to definately keep an eye on this, It has every now and then to me but it dont honestly bother me to much as it almost puts me to sleep(Meaning like, its relaxing and light, not screaching hard on my ears, it almost is relaxing basically). Now this could definately not be from vaping it could be due to alot of things I am sure. But what can we people believe when we dont know the answer for sure, we are all testers in life trying to crack the "code" to "perfection" it seems like. LOL

Last edited:

TRoxx

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2013
NY
. There are LOTS of things you would not think affect tinnitus, but they do.

Too much salt that day, thyroid, blood pressure, aspirin, inflammation in the ear, allergies, stress, silence, ear wax, certain head/neck positions, tumors, and it goes on and on...

Interesting ..
and also true for me personally.
Vaping doesn't affect my tinnitus at all..
It seems to originate from my jaw and neck..like a pinched nerve

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
I am noticing this as well But I also had this with cigs. I also have high blood pressure that I am trying to control with diet and quitting smoking. No pills yet. Most of my vape is 50/50 but I ordered some 70/30 and waiting for it. I was planning on buying some drug store VG to mix with some of my high nic juices anyway.

drtwain5

Nov 2, 2013
TX
Toxicity and safety of any compound by any route needs to be interpreted carefully. Dose, magnitude of change relative to dose, duration of exposure, route of administration and findings (usually histopathology) give important cues on the overall safety/toxicology profile. In this case, it is unclear if PG, as deployed in aerosol or mist for inhalation is causal to exacerbation of tinnitus.

I have tinnitus from taking antibiotics years ago. It died down considerably after a few months, almost disappearing. It still acts up when I take aspirin or listen to loud music for too long. I just want to say, in my experience, I had a huge, almost immediate return of the ringing when I vaped 50/50 and 70/30 juices. In case anyone is wondering if their symptoms are due to vaping, I came to the conclusion that it can't be the nicotine. When I smoked, and when I drink coffee (still do), I never got symptoms. I researched the other ingredients and found a site with a study done on the ototoxicity of propylene glycol: Ototoxicity of propylene glycol in experime... [Am J Otolaryngol. 1980] - PubMed - NCBI

Since I switched to 100% vg juice, the problem has gone away drastically within just three days. I am sitting in a quiet room and can hardly hear the ringing anymore; it is very faint. I will continue to use vg-only juice and if it goes away completely (as it usually does, for me) it's a success story. Just wanted to offer my advice to anyone who is having this issue.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Interesting discussion

I'm retired and been vaping 36mg 100% PG .... for the past 5 years.
Really enjoy vaping and vape all day ... everyday.

2 weeks ago I noticed a constant ringing and high pitch tones.
At first I thought the condition would just go away ... but it didn't.
Did a web search and found the condition to be Tinnitus and it
could be caused by any number of things ... as those with this condition
have found out through web searches and or discussions with doctors.

I was surprised to find out one of the reported causes was Ibupropfen
which I started taking every day about a month ago for carpal tunnel in my hand.
I stopped taking Ibupropfen 2 days ago and hopefully this was the cause
and the Tinnitus will diminish or go away ... as some have reported.

I doubt inhaling PG is the cause for my Tinnitus.
However, we are all the same ... but some are different.

Tinnitus ... is driving me NUTS !!
:p

• Agree
Reactions: Hesham911

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA
Interesting discussion

I'm retired and been vaping 36mg 100% PG .... for the past 5 years.
Really enjoy vaping and vape all day ... everyday.

2 weeks ago I noticed a constant ringing and high pitch tones.
At first I thought the condition would just go away ... but it didn't.
Did a web search and found the condition to be Tinnitus and it
could be caused by any number of things ... as those with this condition
have found out through web searches and or discussions with doctors.

I was surprised to find out one of the reported causes was Ibupropfen
which I started taking every day about a month ago for carpal tunnel in my hand.
I stopped taking Ibupropfen 2 days ago and hopefully this was the cause
and the Tinnitus will diminish or go away ... as some have reported.

I doubt inhaling PG is the cause for my Tinnitus.
However, we are all the same ... but some are different.

Tinnitus ... is driving me NUTS !!
:p

If there is not one problem, there is another... Depends on how you look at things.. its life. For the better or the worse. :) Hope the best for you friend.

I do not have tinnitus, although I have had a ring once or twice in a couple of weeks span and its only for a couple seconds... I don't take ibuprofen very often though.. like unless i realllly realllly need it.. If I get headaches (which is what I used to take it for), I just let my natural body work through. I figured it only makes me stronger.. Letting your body natually work through these problems.. Which cannot be done by all people I am sure..depending on what problem you have in which you are taking certain medications. That is just my 2 cents though. :)

Again, I hope the best for you friend.

I notice it also. I started out vaping 70pg 30 vg from volcano, and thought at first that this is just something that happens with vaping or the way the nicotine gets into your system. Then I ordered some velvet cloud vapor for the heck of it, because I read awesome reviews. As soon as I started vaping 100vg it disappeared. I figured I must have a slight pg sensitivity. I also noticed slight vision changes every so often with a high pg juice. So now I just mix them in with high vg juices to cut it a bit. I can tolerate 50/50 just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't see enough evidence to adjust my eliquid to compensate. Mine is mild to moderate.

Mine is from working around fighter jets in the USAF and many years around loud machinery in factory/mill settings.
Probably some loud music also :) But only one music concert ( Kinks-'76).

For me, I don't have many Viable Alternatives. So I can't say either.

Because If I go much above 25% PG I start to get the Bit of Popcorn in the Back of the Throat feeling. So I'm kinda limited to the High VG side of e-Liquids.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
That study didn't test VG. They are similar in their chemical composition. And, as others have noted, it was direct application to the cochlea.

If you google ototoxins, you will realize that nearly everything is an ototoxin. I vape very low nic or no nic, because I am very vulnerable to anything which might cause dizziness/nausea (which occurs in the inner ear, the labrynth). There are reasonable things which one might avoid, but eliminating anything which might cause problems is extreme. That said, I am very happy with my juice, at 50/50 and 2.5 ml/mg. I add very little salt to my foods, and do not eat foods which are heavily salted. I take meclizine regularly, which reduces symptoms.

I have a high-pitch tinnitis, with sometimes a bit of chain-saw added to it. Such is life.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That study didn't test VG. They are similar in their chemical composition. And, as others have noted, it was direct application to the cochlea.

If you google ototoxins, you will realize that nearly everything is an ototoxin. I vape very low nic or no nic, because I am very vulnerable to anything which might cause dizziness/nausea (which occurs in the inner ear, the labrynth). There are reasonable things which one might avoid, but eliminating anything which might cause problems is extreme. That said, I am very happy with my juice, at 50/50 and 2.5 ml/mg. I add very little salt to my foods, and do not eat foods which are heavily salted. I take meclizine regularly, which reduces symptoms.

I have a high-pitch tinnitis, with sometimes a bit of chain-saw added to it. Such is life.

Do you find that Excessive Salt aggravates your Tinnitis?

Because I seem to put Salt on Everything.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Do you find that Excessive Salt aggravates your Tinnitis?

Because I seem to put Salt on Everything.
Take a look at your results when you google ototoxins. Everyone is different, but it is a problem for me. Anything which can cause excessive fluid in the inner ear is a problem, even allergies. The different forms of motion sickness meds are antihistamines.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Take a look at your results when you google ototoxins. Everyone is different, but it is a problem for me. Anything which can cause excessive fluid in the inner ear is a problem, even allergies. The different forms of motion sickness meds are antihistamines.

Thanks 0mg Meniere

I gotta cut down on my Salt Intake anyway. Even if it Doesn't effect my Tinnitis.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Anyone use aspartame/nutrasweet? Drink diet pop? Consume ANYTHING artificially sweetened? Aspartame is known to cause tinnitus.

I avoid Aspartame at All Costs.

If given the Choice between 2 Sodas, One Containing Aspartame and One Containing Rat Poison, I would Probably go with the Rat Poison.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
Anyone use aspartame/nutrasweet? Drink diet pop? Consume ANYTHING artificially sweetened? Aspartame is known to cause tinnitus.

A few years ago, I overdosed on aspartame. Yes, it's possible!

I used to drink a lot of coffee (like over a gallon per day) and sweetened it to the tune of 4 aspartame tablets per cup. One day all of the sudden, I became very fidgety, my blood pressure shot up and I nearly fainted. I went see my family doctor immediately, and he said it wasn't the coffee but the aspartame.

So I quit aspartame cold turkey, and for 3 or 4 weeks, I felt craving. I kid you not, I felt like crap and wanted the stuff bad. And then it went away.

I now avoid aspartame like the plague. I sweeten all my drinks with stevia now. That's real stevia, sold in fine powder that requires no more than a knife's tip per cup of coffee, not the fake stevia/aspartame/matrodextrine mix sold in compressed tablets by big sweetener corporations.

Real stevia takes some getting used to, as it has a strong licorice aftertaste. But after a while, your brain learns to ignore it. Just like it learns to ignore the buttery taste of VG if you vape it long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread