IFLS writes article about e-cigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Have you contacted IFLS and told them that you think their Article is Skewed? And then Sited Why?

contact | IFLScience

Great that the ECF is Burning Up about this Article. But if Nobody Contacts people like ILFS, then they just keep printing More and More and More and More Articles like this one.

I had posted a statement to their wall, but haven't gotten around to contacting them directly just yet. I want to pull together my information and streamline it first so I can show them very clearly how they erred, and I will also point them to some additional studies. My presentation here is important so I want to have it well planned out.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I had posted a statement to their wall, but haven't gotten around to contacting them directly just yet. I want to pull together my information and streamline it first so I can show them very clearly how they erred, and I will also point them to some additional studies. My presentation here is important so I want to have it well planned out.

People who are Ticked Off about some of the Things they Read should be Doing Exactly what you are Going to do. Contact the Publisher. And Posting to Social Networks.

Sometimes the ECF is like a Black Hole. People post things they Don't Like and Threads get Post after Post about how Wrong things are. But those Sentiments Rarely Leave the ECF.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
People who are Ticked Off about some of the Things they Read should be Doing Exactly what you are Going to do. Contact the Publisher. And Posting to Social Networks.

Sometimes the ECF is like a Black Hole. People post things they Don't Like and Threads get Post after Post about how Wrong things are. But those Sentiments Rarely Leave the ECF.

I agree. Most of the world doesn't know there's a 20,000 member e-cigarette forum here loaded with information and useful links - all they know is that they read an article on the internet the other day saying that e-cigarettes contain formaldehyde :glare:

The information we have in here needs to be out there!

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The whole article strikes me as based on a straw man assertion:

They have been widely heralded by users and manufacturers as a completely harmless smoking alternative, but there isn’t much research to back up that statement.

Show me one manufacturer claiming "completely harmless." I'm sure we can find a few (alleged) users who claim this, but very certain you won't find many nor establish it as "widely heralded."

Sometimes fans of science are illogical boys and girls. This is the real takeaway.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany

He he, you have not seen my activity (and the activities of many vapers) on Facebook and Twitter. :D
Social networks are very nice for spreading information quickly to a lot of people. Many of whom then pass it on.
And being a member of several vaping groups on Facebook multiplies the effect. Write own status message with vaping info and link (for your own FB friends) - copy entire status message into FB vaping groups (plural) with open invitation to share, including your text - and that information will find its way around.

Letters to the editor and comments underneath nonsensical fearmongering articles are also useful.
E.g. you will often find Zillatron - a vaping activist from Germany (great guy!) - publishing the correct information on any vaping issue, links and all.
Like in the comments underneath the junk science blathering that dragonpuff gave us the link to. Gosh, that guy is everywhere ;)
And I have learned some of my best knowledge on vaping from comments underneath junk science articles. :) Especially the British are great in that respect. And quite entertaining as well. :D

Tl:dr:
I fully agree. It is a very good idea to spread one's knowledge around.
Having knowledge and not sharing it is like wetting your pants when wearing a dark suit: you get a warm feeling, but nobody else notices :D

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Who Exactly is making the Claim that e-Cigarette use is "Completely Harmless"?

The ILFS site is saying this (via criticism):

They have been widely heralded by users and manufacturers as a completely harmless smoking alternative, but there isn’t much research to back up that statement.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Sounds like another Non-Truth that the IFLS should be Called on.

Have you Contacted them to Point out what is Clear Mistake on their Part?

Why would I do that? Their mistake strikes me as intentional and one that I don't see them budging on. Would be like me contacting CASAA to call them out on their mistake for supporting a ban to minors. Feeling confident that my calling them out on that mistake will not change their position.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why would I do that? Their mistake strikes me as intentional and one that I don't see them budging on. Would be like me contacting CASAA to call them out on their mistake for supporting a ban to minors. Feeling confident that my calling them out on that mistake will not change their position.

Gotcha...

Better to do Nothing. And then Sit back and Complain about things.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Gotcha...

Better to do Nothing. And then Sit back and Complain about things.

In this case, with the spin you are advocating for, yes - tis better to do nothing. If you feel otherwise, I will stand corrected when you decide to follow your own advice and it produces results that lead to ILFS public saying a mistake was made and was brought to their attention.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
In this case, with the spin you are advocating for, yes - tis better to do nothing. If you feel otherwise, I will stand corrected when you decide to follow your own advice and it produces results that lead to ILFS public saying a mistake was made and was brought to their attention.

I don't expect them to Make some Public Apology. Or to print a Retraction. Get Real.

What people like Myself and Others are doing is Trying to Prevent them from Print More Garbage like what they Just Printed.

Your Position about Doing Nothing is what is Wrong with Much of this Country. More people would Rather sit around and Whine about what's Wrong. But are Unwilling to Get Up Off their ..... and do Anything About it.

I can't think of Anything you can do to make the job of a ANTZ Easier than by Doing Nothing.

:facepalm:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I can't think of Anything you can do to make the job of a ANTZ Easier than by Doing Nothing.

Not writing to ILFS doesn't equal doing nothing in general. I didn't whine about what's wrong, I stated it assertively on the place where this was up for discussion.

Hey, write a dozen letters to S. Glantz today and let me know if tomorrow he feels prevented from printing more garbage. From what you are saying, it is a given that he will, so why wouldn't you do this?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not writing to ILFS doesn't equal doing nothing in general. I didn't whine about what's wrong, I stated it assertively on the place where this was up for discussion.

Hey, write a dozen letters to S. Glantz today and let me know if tomorrow he feels prevented from printing more garbage. From what you are saying, it is a given that he will, so why wouldn't you do this?

I don't write Letters to people like Slantz.

I write Letters to people like UCSF Department Chairs. And to the UC California Board of Regents.

I find it Amusing that you can Post on the Form at the Level that you Do. But that you Will Not take 3 Minutes to Contact a Site like IFLS and Express your View.

Perhaps it is because you Agree with what they are Saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread