iJoy 40A 3000mAh 20700 Bench Test Results...overrated but a good 30A battery

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Apr 15, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 20700/21700, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4978.JPG IMG_4979.JPG IMG_4980.JPG IMG_4981.JPG

Bottom Line
    This is an overrated 20700 cell (20mm diameter x 70mm length) that performs well but not quite as well as the Sanyo NCR20700A. Its appearance is similar to the Panasonic/Tesla cell, with its 5-leg top contact, but I cannot confirm that this is indeed the Panasonic cell. There are differences in the top crimp seal and tooling marks.

This iJoy uses a multilayer paper top ring insulator that should not be exposed to juice or otherwise it could swell and soften, possibly increasing the risk of the insulator being damaged when put into or removed from a device or charger.

I am rating this iJoy at 30A and 3000mAh. Its maximum vaping amps (MVA) rating is 40A, limited by temperature.

My thanks to Evolution Vaping for donating the two cells for testing!
    (Ijoy 20700 40AMP Battery - Evolution Vaping)

Continuous-Current Test Results
    IMG_4974.PNG

The Tesla 20700 Cell For Comparison
    IMG_4937.JPG

Pulse-Current Test Results
    IMG_4976.PNG IMG_4975.PNG

Comparison to the 30A 3000mAh Sanyo NCR20700A
    IMG_4973.PNG

Comments
    • At 10A continuous this cell delivered almost 2850mAh. This typical for a high-performance 3000mAh cell so I am rating it at 3000mAh.
    • Its temperature of 78°C at 30A continuous is the average for cells being operated at their rating so I am rating this cell at 30A.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

KenD, sonicbomb and david4500 like this.
  2. Canadian_Vaper

Canadian_Vaper Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2015
    Sudbury, ON. Canada
    *Drools* Thanks for the tests :)

Wonder what their mod will be like :X

Mooch likes this.
  3. johnnyelevator

johnnyelevator Full Member

Jul 7, 2011
    long beach, ca
    Here you go. It's called the Ijoy Captain. Rated up to 237 watts running on 2x 20700. No release date or pricing information yet. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

david4500 and sonicbomb like this.
  4. Canadian_Vaper

Jul 30, 2015
    Sudbury, ON. Canada
    Oh nice new pictures!

johnnyelevator likes this.
  5. ApolloKen

ApolloKen Full Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Wish these were true 40 amp. We need some true 40a cells in vaping but I am eager to see where these head

6. Canadian_Vaper

Jul 30, 2015
    Sudbury, ON. Canada
    How we use them, 40A should be fine, 30A is the constant discharge rate, like if you were to drain the battery all in one shot, we pulse the batteries so they have time to cool down, that's why mooch sets max vaping amps (MVA) higher than CDR. Personally I'd probably stay closer to a maximum of 35 so the cell lasts a bit longer.

7. BackDoc

BackDoc Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Galts Gulch
    It's a conspiracy to get us all to buy new mods:)

Rossum, johnnyelevator and opticruby like this.
  8. ApolloKen

ApolloKen Full Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Yep it'd probably raise the pulse limit too tho and chain vaping wouldn't be as big of a problem with lower builds. Curious to see what comes out in the future.

9. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    I suppose new mods that can take this battery could also have an adapter so 18650's would still work. In the mean time a 30 amp rating is irrelevent to me. I'm not going above about 25 watts. This size might be relevent to me if it had significantly more than 3,000 mah and may be got that via a lower 15 amp rating.

10. ApolloKen

ApolloKen Full Member

Apr 1, 2017
    There's only a few mods I have where I wish I had a solid 35-40 amp cont. It'd be about perfect for my tube mechs and parallel boxes. I'm fine with the life I get from my hg2's on my regulated devices, it'd just be groovy to have a 2,500/3000mah 40amp; )

11. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    I gave the Samsung 30T a 40A rating.

Rossum and KenD like this.
  12. Canadian_Vaper

Jul 30, 2015
    Sudbury, ON. Canada
    There is 4200mah ones with 15A rating :D Dual 20700 8400mah mod would be amazing at low wattages, would last forever.

$17.11 Authentic Sanyo NCR20700B 3.7V 4250mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery (2-Pack) 2-pack - tested capacity: 4050mAh at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Yeap and if mods are made to fit 21700's they'll be able to fit 20700s as well possibly without an adapter depending on design.

13. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    4000 mah would be a nice bump up. At my power settings an LG HG2 gets me through a full day on work days. For days off I need some recharging or I carry a 26650 mod. I avoid carrying spare batteries in clothing I'm wearing even in a case. A physisist named Goodenough published a paper recently saying he and his team have developed a replacement for the batteries we use that can't go into thermal runaway, will charge faster and have more energy density and he believes there could be products to buy in 3 years. People are paying attention because he is the co inventor of the original Li battery in use today. So may be the 18650 will be getting a serious performance boost in a few years.

14. ApolloKen

ApolloKen Full Member

Apr 1, 2017
    I saw that right after I posted, that is so awesome! You must be a busy guy Mooch, you are virtually single handedly keeping the vape community up to speed with every cell imaginable and the safety of each. Thank you sir.

Rossum, Canadian_Vaper and Mooch like this.
  15. Canadian_Vaper

Jul 30, 2015
    Sudbury, ON. Canada
    Considering I went through about 12000 mah, 50 watt, 0.32 Ohms today, these could have a significant impact for me especially the 15A ones, currently I carry with me, a dual 18650 device, second set of batteries for it and a second single 18650 device that I use a higher ohm build on in case I run out of power on my preferred setup... These could get me down to one device and a second set of batteries leaving me 4000mah to spare in case I forget to charge at night!

3 of my married sets are getting close to the cycle life I've given them (200 cycles) and it leaves me with only 2 more sets that already have 100 cycles on them so I'm getting a bit of battery anxiety lol, 3 sets could completely cover my needs over my current 5 sets :X