Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
After reading the latest posts, I thought 'What the heck' and matched the setting between my DNA167 and this as closely as I can.

Same TCR now, both at 0.00138 for the SS 430 I use. Same wattage for each, 46 W. Same coils, same tanks (Plus and Engine). I use DIY juice so same juice.

As far as I can tell, they are vaping the same. The resistance on both are within .01 of the other. Captain is reading 0.30, the DNA 0.31.

Is this scientific? Nope. I have no test equipment, but if I did, it wouldn't be allowed to vape. It is with my 'feel' of the vapor. Heat, amount, 'thickness'.

Curious what tanks and power those with problems are running. If it makes a difference that I use a wire that isn't built in. Could always be the renown QC that all these companies have.

But for me, after running a different TCR since getting the mod, I thought 'updated firmware', let's see. Lo and behold, it vapes well with standard values.

Last edited:

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
After reading the latest posts, I thought 'What the heck' and matched the setting between my DNA167 and this as closely as I can.

Same TCR now, both at 0.00138 for the SS 430 I use. Same wattage for each, 46 W. Same coils, same tanks (Plus and Engine). I use DIY juice so same juice.

As far as I can tell, they are vaping the same. The resistance on both are within .01 of the other. Captain is reading 0.30, the DNA 0.31.

Is this scientific? Nope. I have no test equipment, but if I did, it wouldn't be allowed to vape. It is with my 'feel' of the vapor. Heat, amount, 'thickness'.

Curious what tanks and power those with problems are running. If it makes a difference that I use a wire that isn't built in. Could always be the renown QC that all these companies have.

But for me, after running a different TCR since getting the mod, I thought 'updated firmware, let's see. Lo and behold, it vapes well with standard values.

I too am getting good results with my 2 Captains :)
I'm using +'s on both, dual Ti coils in TC :)
My resistance's are also very close to what a DNA & Yihi Chip reads :)
I also wonder why these other folks are having issues, when some of Us are not!

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Here's the pics of the two devices running the same setup.
Just found it odd that other folks are having such trouble. Normally, I am the one left holding the bag.
Capt-167.jpg

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Finally received some top quality TC wire instead of that random alloy Chinese stuff... 24g SS430, NiFe48 and Titanium GR1. I also grabbed a roll of their 24g V4a Stainless to test out (SS316L). I'm going to put a Ti build in the Plus later on and see how the Captain fares running TC with Ti. :thumbs:
Zivipf Wire.jpg

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Well I put a dual 10/9 wrap on 3.5mm of the 24g Ti in the Plus. The Captain reads it at 0.16 ohms which seems to match the coil wrapping spec on SE. I set the Captain to 75W/450F and the vape from it is very undulating and unusable to me. You could simulate it with the Minikin using it's curve mode, just set it to 75W for a 1/2 second and then 40W for a 1/2 second and let it repeat, not really a TC vape I can use. Watching the screen on the Captain, the power is up and down constantly.

To make sure it wasn't my wicking, I put it on the only other mod I had with me at the time. The Plus sat for 10 minutes and I put it on the Hohm Tech Slice in it's preset Ti mode. Resetting the Slice's baseline resistance it read the build at 0.20 ohms. I dialed up 75W/450F and it vaped like a champ providing continuous power through each vape. I thought that it might not be working properly on the Slice and I was going to get a nasty dry hit at some point. So I inverted the tank to drain out the juice well and then shut off the JFC. Vaped it until the coils were almost dry, the Slice dropped the power down to 15W and there was barely anything vapor wise.

Anyone have a similar experience with the undulating TC vape on the Captain?

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Thanks @ShowerHead it's all good.
I managed to smooth out the wave by locking the resistance in at 0.17. I will probably try out a pair of SS430's in it, that way I can just switch it over to power mode if the TC isn't doing it for me.

Maybe that's my difference. I always do the two button press when I change tanks or coils. At least you have it performing now.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Two questions:

What is the button sequence to turn powe off/on?

What is the button sequence to lock in a power (so it won't change if you accidentally press the down or up button)?

I'm still really loving the feel, performance, and run time on this, but actually haven't figured out the answers to the above questions [emoji3]

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Two questions:

What is the button sequence to turn powe off/on?

What is the button sequence to lock in a power (so it won't change if you accidentally press the down or up button)?

I'm still really loving the feel, performance, and run time on this, but actually haven't figured out the answers to the above questions [emoji3]
5 clicks for Off/On and there is no lock function for anything.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Well I've given up on TC with the Captain. I put a dual SS430 build in it last night, SE calculates the coils at 0.2 ohms and it measures 0.19 on the DNA. The Captain see it as 0.16 and there is no vape to speak of. If I switch it over to power mode to vape, all is good. Using both buttons as the coil cools I can lock the resistance in at 0.20 and TC starts working properly again. Let the Captain sit for 10 minutes and you are back to a no vape, the screen shows 0.16 when you tap the fire button and then immediately jumps to the locked 0.20 setting as you start vaping.

So I'll put my Juggernaut coils back in the Plus and wait in the clouds, for a possible firmware fix. :vapor:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Here is another thing @100%VG to add to the list on iJoys forum for firmware fixes.

If you have the Captain in TC mode and pop out the batteries for charging. It will switch itself to power mode when you put the batteries back in. The TC settings are retained but the mode of the Captain is not. It doesn't matter if you turn it off beforehand or pop them out live.

It's this kind of basic stuff that totally boggles the mind... :blink:

janne303

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2014
Sweden
Well I've given up on TC with the Captain. I put a dual SS430 build in it last night, SE calculates the coils at 0.2 ohms and it measures 0.19 on the DNA. The Captain see it as 0.16 and there is no vape to speak of. If I switch it over to power mode to vape, all is good. Using both buttons as the coil cools I can lock the resistance in at 0.20 and TC starts working properly again. Let the Captain sit for 10 minutes and you are back to a no vape, the screen shows 0.16 when you tap the fire button and then immediately jumps to the locked 0.20 setting as you start vaping.

So I'll put my Juggernaut coils back in the Plus and wait in the clouds, for a possible firmware fix. :vapor:
Captain is chaos... I will put min on hold on a shelf awaiting firmware...

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Reactions: TrollDragon

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017

Yup pretty much my sentiments. Even my new one still sucks as bad as my 1st one. Even though they fixed the 510 pin on the newer ones, there is still clearly more of an issue that goes beyond what firmware can fix. I just lost interest in digging up a source of it. It just goes on my list of duds and wasted money

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Yup pretty much my sentiments. Even my new one still sucks as bad as my 1st one. Even though they fixed the 510 pin on the newer ones, there is still clearly more of an issue that goes beyond what firmware can fix. I just lost interest in digging up a source of it. It just goes on my list of duds and wasted money
I'm not going to throw that much hate at the Captain yet, It's a $30 mod without batteries or $44 with. It's not the first mod with a janky 510 or a TC that doesn't work properly. The Alien comes to mind and it has some lovely screen/power problems too. My local B&M has exchanged so many that they have since stopped selling them completely.

It still works for me in power mode and the Plus fits on it perfectly. I have a LUX that I really like for my other Plus, and it's TC is also barely functional. There will be no more firmware updates for the LUX but I am hoping the Captain gets issues resolved. If I want an excellent working TC the DNA's or YiHi's are my goto, unfortunately there are no dual battery versions that take a 30mm tank in the sub $100 price range.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I'm not going to throw that much hate at the Captain yet, It's a $30 mod without batteries or $44 with. It's not the first mod with a janky 510 or a TC that doesn't work properly. The Alien comes to mind and it has some lovely screen/power problems too. My local B&M has exchanged so many that they have since stopped selling them completely.

It still works for me in power mode and the Plus fits on it perfectly. I have a LUX that I really like for my other Plus, and it's TC is also barely functional. There will be no more firmware updates for the LUX but I am hoping the Captain gets issues resolved. If I want an excellent working TC the DNA's or YiHi's are my goto, unfortunately there are no dual battery versions that take a 30mm tank in the sub $100 price range.
Don't forget shipping and an extra 5 bucks for rainbow. Cheapest shipping option is 52 with batts (57 for rainbow) . still not expensive by any means. I paid 50 for mine (rainbow) with the batts and free shipping. was a good deal then. it did launch at 70+ bucks at a lot of places. The lux was another one. personally I like it but at the same time i accept it's not a good performing mod or anything i'd recommend to people. but it's battery life comfortable shape and ability to look good with 30mm attys makes it something I still use. Lots of cheaper mods suck at TC. that's why DNAs are so popular. As far as a dual battery mod with good TC that cost under 100 bucks and handles a 30mm atty, I don't think such a thing exists lol. it's really a missing spot in the market. i was hoping the fuchai duo 3 would since the snow wolf 365 had good temp control but sadly the duo 3 sucked at it. We are seeing more 30mm friendly mods though. sigelei has a few new ones coming out. hopefully one does good TC. they've been very hit and miss on that front but there is hope. the snow wolf 365 is the best temp control of any 4 battery mods. but none of their duals are good at it, the kaos is passable and not bad though.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Here is another thing @100%VG to add to the list on iJoys forum for firmware fixes.

If you have the Captain in TC mode and pop out the batteries for charging, it will switch itself to power mode when you put the batteries back in. The TC settings are retained but the mode of the Captain is not. It doesn't matter if you turn it off beforehand or pop them out live.

It's this kind of basic stuff that totally boggles the mind... :blink:
Wow! Mine doesn't do that. What version of Firmware do you have?

I put in a request for Firmware V1.5 two days ago with a distributor in China. I was told that it would be passed along. That was not on my list, and yours is the first that I've heard of anything like that in everything I've seen posted to date. I'll certainly tell the distributor about it, though yours may be faulty in that respect. :(

The following is the note I sent:

Hello,

The Captain PD270 is not accurate. Please tell IJOY that there are still things that need attention in a Firmware Update:

• Fix the Power Regulation for all modes (Norm, Hard, Soft, and User if it needs it). And also make certain that Power Regulation works well with Temp Control.
  • Temp Control Regulation needs attention for all wire types supported natively by the Mod, but especially Stainless Steel.
  • Make sure that both TCR Memory Functions work properly for every selectable range, so that any wire type will work correctly under Temp Control.
  • A better TCR range is something that is needed. The TCR adjustment range is between 0.00050 and 0.00200, so I could not try the Altus T1 with Temp Control because it needs 0.00310, according the David Guo (the manufacturer). While I don't know if 0.00050 would be considered Low enough for everything, 0.00200 is definitely not High enough for everything out there. For another example, some people use 0.00450 for Tungsten.
  • Slow down the (+) & () Adjustment button scroll rates. They zip up and down too fast. Maybe make the rate adjustable in a menu setting for user preference.
  • The accuracy of the Ohms of attached coils is not accurate. Please work on that to get it right for all modes.
  • Please make Firmware Updates available for Mac computers.
There are also several Hardware issues that need to be addressed, but those things cannot be fixed with Firmware.

I have contacted IJOY several times in two different ways, but there is no indication that Firmware V1.5 is being worked on.

Thanks

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Anyone have a similar experience with the undulating TC vape on the Captain?
My Captain actually worked better with TA1 than any other mod I own, but it's still weak. And yes, the Ohms were off, but I don't remember which way now.

Reactions: markfm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread