Status
Not open for further replies.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Lol I watched the exact same video bud,I mainly watched it so I could see the build deck and how he would wick it,seems like a lot of work doing it that way and not sure if it's necessary,I like the fact that the build deck and coils are secured in place via 510 pin witch means the coil or rba base won't get stuck in the chimney when you unscrew the base,the coils are also different than the nano chip coils,they look as if they will wick better,I guess we shall see as mine should be arriving tmrw as well,being am in Europe and 9 hours ahead of us time I'll keep you in the loop on how I wicked it up and if I run into any issues,am also receiving the ammit rta tmrw as well not sure if you have it or not? If you do let me know you're thoughts bud;-) talk to you tmrw my friend

I have not pulled the trigger on the Ammit. I'm reading some mixed reviews. Since I use 70-80 VG I'm afraid it won't wick well with the tight fit of the glass and chamber. I love the looks of the Ammit though. I have the Merlin Mini coming and looking forward to that as well.

So we will both get the Hero tomorrow and see what we come up with. I will NOT be wicking it like that guy in the video did (running the tails through the wick channel and out the bottom is not needed). I also like that the deck and base are secured with the 510 center pin. The Nano is a pain because the deck wants to unscrew when you take the chamber off or (like you said) gets stuck in the chimney when you unscrew the bottom. I pretty much solved that on the Nano by tightening the deck into the base with a pair of pliers...tight! I gotta work tomorrow so will not get my Hero until late afternoon. I'll let ya know. Later Franck!

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
My thoughts... not that you would or should care...

I don't have it, yet, but I'm not sure I like it. The deck is from the Geekvape Griffin Plus, the top fill is a damaged perversion of what's offered by OBS... having to unscrew, pop-up, and remove the top cap to side fill... ugh... The convenience of a replaceable coil system is negated by the need to carry tools and the potential for losing bits is high. I know most will keep it as a dedicated RTA, but I question why they went that way at all.

As for the Banshee? Looks very cool, but I'm not convinced. I know companies can come back from the brink (who thought we'd all be toting Smok anything after the debacle that was the Xpro M80 Pro?), but Ciggo has a less than stellar track record, and the Decimus was no joy, either...

That said, I'll probably get the tank. I am generally a fan of Ijoy products... I'm reading along to see how you all fare...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
My thoughts... not that you would or should care...

I don't have it, yet, but I'm not sure I like it. The deck is from the Geekvape Griffin Plus, the top fill is a damaged perversion of what's offered by OBS... having to unscrew, pop-up, and remove the top cap to side fill... ugh... The convenience of a replaceable coil system is negated by the need to carry tools and the potential for losing bits is high. I know most will keep it as a dedicated RTA, but I question why they went that way at all.

As for the Banshee? Looks very cool, but I'm not convinced. I know companies can come back from the brink (who thought we'd all be toting Smok anything after the debacle that was the Xpro M80 Pro?), but Ciggo has a less than stellar track record, and the Decimus was no joy, either...

That said, I'll probably get the tank. I am generally a fan of Ijoy products... I'm reading along to see how you all fare...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Hey Shawn,of course we care my friend we are all here to share,compare and if we can help each other out,I value your opinions,I agree with you on the filling part as it might a little bit of a pain we shall see as dhl guy is on the way lol,but I disagree with you as far as the deck goes,it's not the same as the 25 griffin plus,there's no holes on the deck you have to run your wicks all the way down into the juice Chanel's,I kinda wished it had the same deck as the griffin 25 plus to be honest,I never got it because I don't like top air flow and the only way to run it without it is to use that ugly as sin proprietary drip tip that it comes with so I said meh,will post after I've had a chance to put a build in it ;-)

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
I have not pulled the trigger on the Ammit. I'm reading some mixed reviews. Since I use 70-80 VG I'm afraid it won't wick well with the tight fit of the glass and chamber. I love the looks of the Ammit though. I have the Merlin Mini coming and looking forward to that as well.

So we will both get the Hero tomorrow and see what we come up with. I will NOT be wicking it like that guy in the video did (running the tails through the wick channel and out the bottom is not needed). I also like that the deck and base are secured with the 510 center pin. The Nano is a pain because the deck wants to unscrew when you take the chamber off or (like you said) gets stuck in the chimney when you unscrew the bottom. I pretty much solved that on the Nano by tightening the deck into the base with a pair of pliers...tight! I gotta work tomorrow so will not get my Hero until late afternoon. I'll let ya know. Later Franck!
Well hero showed up and so far it's no hero:-/ the coil provided just like the one that came with the tornado nano is absolute garbage,way over packed with cotton and no flavor to speak of,the coils they provide with the rba base are ss coils and hom in at .17,the problem I have at the moment is in order to wick it so it does not leak is to use a lot of cotton,wich in turn is providing a dry like vape that am not enjoying too much SIGH,I'll keep plugging along and will see what I can come up with,btw with those coils you gotta hit them at 90 plus watts,let me know what you come up with ;>

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Okay, here is how it went on first round with the Hero.
Put a pair of 24 ga. 8/9 wrap of A1 spaced coils on it on it. 0.4 ohm. Wicked it pretty full with Japanese cotton.

Filled and began with a few pulls...oops...slight leak. Cleaned that up, bumped the watts to 45...oops, a little leak out the air flow slots. Cleaned that up, bumped the watts to 52...oops, a little leak! Damn!

Pulled the deck, cleaned it up and wicked again. Pulled the ends of the wicks through the deck wick channels and then trimmed them from the outside. Gently tucked the excess back in flush with the edge of the deck. Refilled and have been vaping for the last 30 minutes with NO leaks. The juice flow bubbles every time I take a long pull so it is feeding just fine. Vapor is nice and dense.
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0776.JPG

Flavor is not top notch yet, but not bad. Will wait to pass judgement there until the tank and wicks get broken in a little more. Not bad, just not stellar. Airflow is very open and smooth.

The fill port is kind of clunky. I would have liked a simple top fill instead. Or do it like the Engine slid up cap.

Hitting it at 62 watts and things are rocking.

Reactions: franck

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
Put a pair of 24 ga. 8/9 wrap of A1 spaced coils on it on it. 0.4 ohm. Wicked it pretty full with Japanese cotton.

Filled and began with a few pulls...oops...slight leak. Cleaned that up, bumped the watts to 45...oops, a little leak out the air flow slots. Cleaned that up, bumped the watts to 52...oops, a little leak! Damn!

Pulled the deck, cleaned it up and wicked again. Pulled the ends of the wicks through the deck wick channels and then trimmed them from the outside. Gently tucked the excess back in flush with the edge of the deck. Refilled and have been vaping for the last 30 minutes with NO leaks. The juice flow bubbles every time I take a long pull so it is feeding just fine. Vapor is nice and dense. View attachment 622421 View attachment 622423 View attachment 622425 View attachment 622427

Flavor is not top notch yet, but not bad. Will wait to pass judgement there until the tank and wicks get broken in a little more. Not bad, just not stellar. Airflow is very open and smooth.

The fill port is kind of clunky. I would have liked a simple top fill instead. Or do it like the Engine slid up cap.

Hey bud thanks for the update,man you're spaced coils look clean,I can never get mine to look that good:-/ I'll have to try wicking that way as well,you got way less cotton in there than I did,I didn't get any leaks but I could tell I had too much cotton for sure,thanks for the pics that helps a lot;-)ill go back to the drawing board and see how it goes,just curious why didn't you use there coils? I was hesitant as well as I don't vape that high but thought I would try them.

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA

Pulled the deck, cleaned it up and wicked again. Pulled the ends of the wicks through the deck wick channels and then trimmed them from the outside. Gently tucked the excess back in flush with the edge of the deck. Refilled and have been vaping for the last 30 minutes with NO leaks. The juice flow bubbles every time I take a long pull so it is feeding just fine. Vapor is nice and dense. View attachment 622421 View attachment 622423 View attachment 622425 View attachment 622427

Ok went the same route wicking wise as you did,put in some double twisted 26 gauge wire 8 wraps on a 3 ml bit,ohmed in at .3 vaping it at 65 watts,flavor is ok still better on my engine which as the exact same build,airflow wise this thing is a beast,no leaking to speak of as of yet,not crazy about the fill port though I must admit,(Shawn was right lol it blows) btw you are right about the ammit tank I would pass if I was you,it does not wick very well and am using 70/30 juice from Royal so this thing as no excuses not to wick properly,but that's my fault for trusting geek vape and mike vapes once again,don't get me wrong I love watching the guys vids but he likes everything and he's steered me wrong once again,he could sell you a dry lake and make you believe it's full lol;-) keep me posted on how things progress along with the hero ok?

Reactions: Eskie

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA

Question for ya dp what diameter coils are you running? And how tight are you putting your cotton in please? They look to be 3 millimeter but not sure,you think we could get away with 2.5 ? And still have enough cotton in those Chanel's ?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Ok went the same route wicking wise as you did,put in some double twisted 26 gauge wire 8 wraps on a 3 ml bit,ohmed in at .3 vaping it at 65 watts,flavor is ok still better on my engine which as the exact same build,airflow wise this thing is a beast,no leaking to speak of as of yet,not crazy about the fill port though I must admit,(Shawn was right lol it blows) btw you are right about the ammit tank I would pass if I was you,it does not wick very well and am using 70/30 juice from Royal so this thing as no excuses not to wick properly,but that's my fault for trusting geek vape and mike vapes once again,don't get me wrong I love watching the guys vids but he likes everything and he's steered me wrong once again,he could sell you a dry lake and make you believe it's full lol;-) keep me posted on how things progress along with the hero ok?

I was curious how it would compare to the Engine. For my vaping style, the Engine remains unbeatable. Sounds like this has more airflow which given the top air on the Engine is understandable. I already have a Tornado nano which has a decent Velocity deck and also uses the factory coils, and given the similarity here (other than the impossibly narrow top cap on the nano which is so hard to grab on to, although this side flow doesn't sound like a great implementation either) I'll probably sit this one out.

I'm also not that tempted by the Ammit either. Seems like a lot of work to get that much air for only a single coil build.

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
I was curious how it would compare to the Engine. For my vaping style, the Engine remains unbeatable. Sounds like this has more airflow which given the top air on the Engine is understandable. I already have a Tornado nano which has a decent Velocity deck and also uses the factory coils, and given the similarity here (other than the impossibly narrow top cap on the nano which is so hard to grab on to, although this side flow doesn't sound like a great implementation either) I'll probably sit this one out.

I'm also not that tempted by the Ammit either. Seems like a lot of work to get that much air for only a single coil build.
Hey Eskie who are you my friend,well am running both the engine and the hero with the exact same builds and you are right that the hero as WAY more airflow than the engine without a DOUGHT,as for filling the hero it's not that bad once you get used to it,it takes a little longer as you have to unscrew the top off and then pull up to reveal the fill port,you can put more exotic coils in the hero than on the engine,but if I remember correctly that's not your vaping style so I think it's best you skip this one,I also got the ammit at the same time I got the hero and so far am very disappointed as I cannot get it to vape smoothly,I've run several types of coils,put them close to the airflow,raised them up,it's wicked exactly as its supposed to be wicked but nothing seems to help,I get a harsh dry vape,I've put aside for now as am out of ideas for now:-/

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Are the holes on the Velocity deck of the Hero that much bigger than the Engine, or is it just more airflow giving you support for exotic coils or the larger chamber to accommodate them? I'll admit extent of my exotic use is a Clapton, or if I'm being really adventurous, an Alien. This tank doesn't look like it will bring me any extra joy over what I have, which is actually OK. It's not like there's a shortage of tanks around here.:lol:

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Question for ya dp what diameter coils are you running? And how tight are you putting your cotton in please? They look to be 3 millimeter but not sure,you think we could get away with 2.5 ? And still have enough cotton in those Chanel's ?

Franck, my coils are 3mm. I have them pretty snug (almost tight) with cotton, but I can move it back and forth in the coil with no distortion to them. But 24ga is fairly firm wire so it is not distorted easily. I think the 2.5 would work but maybe keep the tails a little longer on the wick and lightly pack it into the juice opening.

I just rewicked and put just a tiny bit less cotton in the juice opening, but fluffed it up real good and so far no leaks. Wicking fine. I am seeing bubbles as I should.

I am still not getting the flavor I was expecting. Going to mix up some different juice in a day or two and see if my tastebuds are just sleeping...or the Hero is just too airy for good flavor. I also lowered my coils to just above the air channels and will see if that helps.

If not, I am going to put some claptons in and see if flavor bumps up. If that doesn't work, I am going to box it. :grr:

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Are the holes on the Velocity deck of the Hero that much bigger than the Engine, or is it just more airflow giving you support for exotic coils or the larger chamber to accommodate them? I'll admit extent of my exotic use is a Clapton, or if I'm being really adventurous, an Alien. This tank doesn't look like it will bring me any extra joy over what I have, which is actually OK. It's not like there's a shortage of tanks around here.:lol:

Eskie, The holes are not noticeable bigger...maybe slightly, but the airflow is quite a bit more than the Engine. To be real honest, I think there are better attys out there for the $29 I spent on the Hero. I actually get better flavor from the Nano, although that top cap is a mess trying to remove every time ya got to refill. I use the RTA deck on the Nano and build my own coils. Nothing too crazy, but have run it with Aliens in with no problem with airflow. I have a set of Hive coils in the Nano right now that ohm out at 0.18 and it keeps up just fine even though it has less air than the Hero.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I know the nano gets mixes reviews, but I like it. It was affordable, the deck is good, the factory coils are actually useful and better than the average factory coil. But that freaking top can make you crazy getting off. Hands down my biggest beef with the tank. Still, it really doesn't seem like this Hero would give me anything significantly better than what I currently have, including the nano.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Still, it really doesn't seem like this Hero would give me anything significantly better than what I currently have, including the nano.

I think you are right on that. If they had used the top fill on the Hero like the Engine it would have been a huge improvement

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
Franck, my coils are 3mm. I have them pretty snug (almost tight) with cotton, but I can move it back and forth in the coil with no distortion to them. But 24ga is fairly firm wire so it is not distorted easily. I think the 2.5 would work but maybe keep the tails a little longer on the wick and lightly pack it into the juice opening.

I just rewicked and put just a tiny bit less cotton in the juice opening, but fluffed it up real good and so far no leaks. Wicking fine. I am seeing bubbles as I should.

I am still not getting the flavor I was expecting. Going to mix up some different juice in a day or two and see if my tastebuds are just sleeping...or the Hero is just too airy for good flavor. I also lowered my coils to just above the air channels and will see if that helps.

If not, I am going to put some claptons in and see if flavor bumps up. If that doesn't work, I am going to box it. :grr:
Hey bud just checking in to see how you are coming along with the ol hero?i must agree with you that flavor is not the greatest,I've run several coils in it myself and flavor never really got any better,I got it to vape pretty smoothly,I was getting some crackle at times but moved the coils up a bit and it seems to have done the trick,I wonder if instead of pulling the wicks thru which seems to flatten them a little,we could just cut the cotton shorter,fluff it out and place it in the Chanel's but not all the down,and then take little tuffs of cotton to seal up the juice slots,do you think even though it's two pieces of cotton that it would wick well? I hope you understand what I am trying to discribe lol,anyway let me know how you're coming along,hopefully you haven't given up on it;-)

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Yo Franck! Well, not sure about having additional pieces of cotton. Maybe worth a try though. Can't hurt.
I have gotten this to wick well, and not leak, but the lack of flavor is just killing me. I think part of the problem is with the size of the chamber and chimney ... the chamber could be much shorter, the chimney could be narrower. This might be why it has no real flavor. I have tried 4 different builds in it and just have muted flavor. That is just unacceptable since I vape for pleasure, and flavor is a big part of the pleasure! I'm afraid I have wasted $29. I think I will move on and quite wasting my time. I have to say I am disappointed in IJoy on this one. Now they have the EXO RTA series out and I will NOT buy one until I hear real reviews by real people on them. Hate to say it, but I'm giving up on this one.

Let me know what's next on your list!
Later my friend!

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
Yo Franck! Well, not sure about having additional pieces of cotton. Maybe worth a try though. Can't hurt.
I have gotten this to wick well, and not leak, but the lack of flavor is just killing me. I think part of the problem is with the size of the chamber and chimney ... the chamber could be much shorter, the chimney could be narrower. This might be why it has no real flavor. I have tried 4 different builds in it and just have muted flavor. That is just unacceptable since I vape for pleasure, and flavor is a big part of the pleasure! I'm afraid I have wasted $29. I think I will move on and quite wasting my time. I have to say I am disappointed in IJoy on this one. Now they have the EXO RTA series out and I will NOT buy one until I hear real reviews by real people on them. Hate to say it, but I'm giving up on this one.

Later my friend!
Hey bud nice hearing from you and thanks for the reply,I agree with you 100 % on the hero,I have gotten it to vape really smooth but it as zero flavor and that's a shame,never heard about the exo rta so am going to look into it,what I don't like about I joy tanks is the cheap construction,the ss is so thin am always afraid to break them lol,not sure what to get next I might wait and see what comes up for the new year,am sorry to hear that you are going to box the hero but I feel you brother,for me the engine is still the best one yet even though I struggle to wick it at times,I always seem to get spit back no matter what I do sigh! Let me take this time to wish you and you're family a wonderful xmas and stay in touch my friend;-)

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA

Later my friend!
Hey bud I checked out the EXO rta,it looks interesting,I hope those decks are fixed and not rotating like the nano was,cause if you have to stick an Allen key in the Af to keep it from spinning while you build I'll definite pass,I'll keep an eye out for some reviews sometimes soon;-) later bud..

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Have to agree with the IJoy cheap construction. I am really not impressed with the quality of their manufacturing. I think I will just leave their products alone.

Just got the Merlin Mini and it is great for a single coil. The only drawback is the 2ml size tank. But filling it is super easy so I can live with it at my desk. The flavor is outstanding. Top quality on the materials and threading.
Merlin Mini.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread