Status
Not open for further replies.

noevilstar

Senior Member<br>CASAA Board Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Union City, NJ
casaa.org
CASAA: Illinois Call to Action: Take action to oppose HB 2404 which would prohibit vaping where smoking is banned

HB 2404 would deceptively redefine “smoking” to include the use of an electronic cigarette for the purpose of prohibiting use in the same places where smoking is banned. HB 2404 has been referred to the IL House Consumer Protection Committee and is scheduled for a hearing on TUESDAY, 03/10/15 at 2:30 PM in Room 118 Capitol Building, Springfield, IL. Please make plans to attend the hearing if at all possible.

Please take action now by sending a message to the committee members and your representative.

Please make phone calls to members of the committee

Please take a moment to fill out a “witness slip” for the hearing.

• Step-by Step Instructions for submitting a witness slip in Illinois (Illinois Residents Only):
    • Click hereto access the witness slip for HB 2404.
    • Part I. Enter your personal information.
    • Part II Representation. Do not complete Part II unless you are expressing a position on behalf of a group.CASAA members should NOT complete Part II because you are offering your own position, not CASAA’s.
    • Part III. Position: Click on the button next to “Opponent”
    • Part IV. Testimony: Click on the box next to “Record of Appearance Only.” Filling out a witness slip does not mean you have to appear in person at the hearing (although we absolutely strongly encourage you to attend) – it is a mechanism that allows you to register your opposition to the resolution.
    • Type the Captcha Code in the box.
    • Click the box next to “I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement.”
    • Click on “Create Slip.”

• Witness slips can be filled out by anyone age 13 and older. Consider talking with your children or grandchildren about this issue. If they're happy you made the switch, they might want to express their opposition to the bill by completing a witness slip.

(Writing Tip #1)If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.

(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Just saw this on the CASAA facebook page. Hope it's ok to paste here:

There will a group of us heading down to Springfield, IL to help fight the proposed bill HB2404 and make our voices heard. There will be a bus leaving from Cignot @ 100 S. York St. in Elmhurst at 10AM on Tuesday March 10. They will wait and return you to the same place after the meeting. The bus carries 56. Please, if you have the time, come with us and stand in solidarity to stop these bills where they stand. Email Victoria Cignot to reserve your spot (vicki@cignot.com).

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
Pamdis,
I would do anything to go with you guys. I just can't get off work. DARN. Give them all you have: articles, testimonials, comments from Bill or Clive ANYTHING. You wouldn't believe how many times I have emailed them. Go get 'em. Keep us posted as to how it went. Praying now.................... They don't listen very well. But you already know that if your from Illinois. Make sure you give them articles on the effects of the vapor on bystanders...NIL.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Geez, did the send email and received 13 fail to deliver emails. Said the gmail accounts are calling the letters spam.

Mine seemed to make it through - I even got a response from Rep. Randy Frese:

Thank you for contacting me about House Bill 2404, which amends the Smoke
Free Illinois Act. Your feedback on issues is always vitally important to
the legislative process.

While I agree that these products should not be used in schools, the bill
is far too reaching beyond that.

If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to contact my
office again.

Sincerely,

Randy E. Frese
State Representative . District 94

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
(Update - 03/09/15)

We are receiving word that HB 2404 is being rescheduled for the committee hearing on TUESDAY, March 17th, 2015 at 2:30 PM. Advocates that were planning to attend the hearing scheduled for tomorrow (3/10) should instead make plans for next week.

In the meantime, if you have not already taken action, please take a moment to send an email and make a phone call to your IL Legislators . . . and also fill out your witness slip.

See details: CASAA: Illinois Call to Action: Take action to oppose HB 2404 which would prohibit vaping where smoking is banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread