Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I ran the numbers on http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=1.2&awg=28&id=1.8 and got 1.2 ohms for that build with a 5mm leg. To get 1.5 ohms the legs would have to be 22mm long, so not that. Maybe what you are wrapping around is not 1.8 mm? I'm not familiar with that calculator, maybe it's wrong.

Reactions: Mr.Mann

solipsistic xerophyte

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
southern california
The calculator seems fine to me. I was using it to rebuild my protank 2 coils and I always hit the resistance I was aiming for. I may have mixed up my screwdrivers in my set so that may be the problem. I'll go and check to see if they are in the right order. It wouldn't be the first time I placed them in the wrong position.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
I didn't even consider that. I tried keeping my wraps as close as possible but ended up with some slight eve. Spacing between them.
I've always understood it as the length of the wire being the factor in resistance of the coil for a given gauge, so the number of wraps and leg length are determined by inner diameter and wrap spacing....

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I would think the coil spacing would be a factor, too....

Coil spacing has ZERO affect on the OHMs of a coil.OHMs is a result of wire diameter and length, doesn't matter how you coil it or if you wad it into a ball. 3" of a given gauge kanthal will always read at the same ohm.

Spacing affects how the heat of the coil is distributed. It does not affect the ELECTRICITY part of the equation.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Coil spacing has ZERO affect on the OHMs of a coil.OHMs is a result of wire diameter and length, doesn't matter how you coil it or if you wad it into a ball. 3" of a given gauge kanthal will always read at the same ohm.

Spacing affects how the heat of the coil is distributed. It does not affect the ELECTRICITY part of the equation.
That's not what I was implying.... The more space between coils, the slightly more wire is used per wrap, increasing the ohms ever so slightly if you're only doing your coils on the number of wraps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread