Status
Not open for further replies.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hello fellow Vapers-

Absolute-Wood is back! Been gone about a year - well, not gone, but hiding out... The business was mostly idle for all of 2015. Time to jump in with both feet again.

Health problems started the "vacation", but were furthered by major construction/repairs that took nearly half a year to complete. In short, over 50 feet of plumbing below concrete had to be replaced - right through my house and shop. Two foot wide by three foot deep trenches and all the dirt from them right in the house, bedrooms and shop!

Then a roofing problem was discovered during the first heavy rain... more work, and more intrusion into the shop. It appears all the construction is over - finally!

Between a 60 hour a week job, building holders, and the maintenance of a new website, ECF became almost impossible to visit. My health began getting the best of me. In and out of the hospital more times than I care to mention.

Fixed it by getting rid of the 60 hour job! Semi-retirement! Much more time to deal with Absolute-Wood, keeping up on the website maintenance, and happy to be back at ECF again!

So, I've been busy in the shop, and just finished putting over a dozen fresh items up on the website. New items too - there are holders to fit in your cup holders of your car:
25094867376_f97c00aca6_n.jpg" width="213" height="320"

Made from Walnut & Padauk, you can see they hold a good array of items. So far, two different styles to choose from. I can make them from different woods as well.

Even a Lazy Susan that spins for your coffee table, holds PV stuff & Other stuff:
25121215115_45fd08aa9a_o.jpg

Made of Walnut & Oak, it has room for (2) PVs, (4) batteries, (2) tanks, (5) juice bottles and drip tips - also a slot for the remote control, pen and paper, cell phone, etc...

And, I finally made a wall cabinet - Holds 9 PVs & 9 RBA/RDAs:
24494376203_77b8f522f0_n.jpg" width="320" height="213"

Solid Oak with a solid Walnut stripe throughout. Sliding Lexan doors, and a mirror back. The back is removable so the shelf can be swapped out. This is the first of many. I'm more than open to custom builds... Here's a view with the cabinet filled with some of my PVs:
25003010332_da89871c13_n.jpg" width="320" height="213"

Circular indentations for Tube Mods, but you can see that Box Mods work as well. We could custom route a cabinet for both Tube & Box Mods.

I also have 5 more new holders on the site and 5 new Pyramid single PV holders as well. Most can be flocked (highly recommended for scratch resistance).

The website has had several of the holder types placed on their own page - Pyramids, Cup Holder, Cabinets, Various Holders... Makes the pages smaller and easier to view. Also, there are photo galleries of the previous In Stock holders, so you can look at and reorder previous holders that were once on the site.

Once again, I'm very happy to be back on ECF, back with my fellow Vapers - and especially glad I'm able to dedicate myself full time to Absolute-Wood! Way happy to be back in the shop making wood chips!

Oh yea - Absolute-Wood is on Facebook now - www.facebook.com/PVSTANDS

Rick

Last edited:

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Do you have a pic of a box mod holder that fits in your car's cup holder?
My best roommate ever was a Scotsman - Tim. Great guy, funny almost to a fault. Miss him.

I've only made them for Tube Mods so far. It would depend on the size of the Box Mod.

The Cup Holder Caddys are about the size of a medium fast food drink - almost 3-1/2" diameter at the top. Anyway, because they taper down to about 2-1/4" diameter at the bottom, there is very little room to "go deep" so the PV stays put during hard braking or cornering.

If you give me the rectangular measurement of the Mod, I could check their drawing to see if it would go in a Cup Holder Caddy, and how deep. I'm sure I could come up with something :)

Rick

Proudshamrock

Nov 15, 2015
My best roommate ever was a Scotsman - Tim. Great guy, funny almost to a fault. Miss him.

I've only made them for Tube Mods so far. It would depend on the size of the Box Mod.

The Cup Holder Caddys are about the size of a medium fast food drink - almost 3-1/2" diameter at the top. Anyway, because they taper down to about 2-1/4" diameter at the bottom, there is very little room to "go deep" so the PV stays put during hard braking or cornering.

If you give me the rectangular measurement of the Mod, I could check their drawing to see if it would go in a Cup Holder Caddy, and how deep. I'm sure I could come up with something :)

Rick
Thanks. I'll get back to you!

Ruadh gu brath! (Scots Gaelic for Red heads forever!)

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey Everyone-

Thought I'd post a couple pics of the few holders I did make in 2015.

I discovered a truly beautiful (but expensive) wood, Caribbean Rosewood:
24590168613_152a575556_z.jpg

Very hard but nice to work. Great depth to the wood. This holder is a sandwich lamination that also has Wenge (dark) and African Padauk. Black flocking.

Speaking of Wenge (pronounced Win Gay), I made this Crescent holder of Wenge and Padauk (Pah Duke) that featured a pull out drawer on the inside center of the Crescent. The drawer "snaps" into the holder with magnets. The magnets on the top of the holder are to hold the drawer in place on top of the holder:
25123745881_8c17dd64a3_z.jpg

It was quite a trick making the cutout for the drawer. It had to be made before the three layers were glued together... The method produced a perfect rectangular cutout that required nearly no sanding.

This holder will soon be the "star" of a new feature I plan to add to the website - "The Making of a Holder". It will be a pictorial and verbiage look at how it was made. From the gluing of the three pieces that make the top, to how the drawer cutout was made, finishing, and finally to the mixing of the custom color flocking and it's application.

Well, I'm heading back to the shop to make some more wood chips! I'm going to start on another batch of holders - this time concentrating on the inexpensive strip holders, and perhaps a couple of few from the charger line. Also thinking of another Vape Cabinet or two!

Vape on-

Rick

Reactions: defdock

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hi everyone,

Quick update - I've decided to run a "flash sale". Several of the new items on the website have been discounted; look for the prices in red.

I've got several lamination blanks prepared and have about a dozen new designs ready to work on. Included are One Off over-sized Pyramids & matching strip holders made from a four layer sandwich of Zebra/Wenge/Zebra/Wenge.

Should be close to finished in a couple weeks!

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Quick update - I have several Walnut & Padauk strip holders in various configurations currently in Clear Coat, sanding in-between coats right now. Also in finishing: A Purple Heart with a Wenge stripe holder as well as the two oversize Zebra/Wenge holders with matching Pyramids. All should be done and ready for their photography session in a day or two. Then I'll post pics-

Talk to 'yall soon,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
As they say... the best laid plans-
Storms have moved in, and spray finishing no worky in this weather!

Got about 2" of rain yesterday, and look to get about twice that today. Hopefully, we'll be ready to spray by tomorrow when the humidity drops and the temps rise.

Using the opportunity to rough out some $20-30 Oak & Walnut holders.

Rick

Last edited:

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Good Morning Vapers!

Quick check in before I head out to the shop.

Most the items mentioned a couple posts up that were in Clear Coat have been finished. One set of the Zebra/Wenge need more sanding and clear, then done.

The second batch of Oak & Walnut strips include a 3 step Walnut holder. They just had their oil baths last night, and should be ready for clear coat in a couple more days.

Plan to shoot photos of the first batch tonight or tomorrow, then Photoshop & website coding. I'll post pics here first before I put them up.

Ready, Set... Vape! :vapor:

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Good morning (well, it is here on the Left Coast...)

The second Zebra/Wenge set have been finished. The second set of strip holders (& step) are in Clear Coat & awaiting sanding before final coat.

A Walnut/Santos Mahogany Charger Holder and it's magnetic add on battery holder are machined and through oil soak. Ready for start of Clear Coat.

I've decided to photograph everything at once so I don't have to setup & teardown twice-

My Production Progress page on absolute-wood.com usually contains the earliest mention of where I am in production.

Y'all still get pics first

Light 'em up! (the LEDs that is)

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hi all,

Well, I've been horizontal (bed) since Sunday - teach me to take a day off...

I can't identify the event, but my lower back decided to go on strike - almost can't walk. With muscle relaxers, I can stay upright for about 10 minutes.

This sucks. It seems to be easing up, so I thought I'd chance sitting for a few minutes and writing an update - uh... I haven't gotten anything else done since last Saturday!

Hope to be back on my feet tomorrow (I hope).

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Sweet- :thumbs:
All holders $75 and up receive 2 PV holes & the bottom flocked - you can add more. Unrefined shots, just color corrected, a little bright tho:
25866712066_c69f260009_b.jpg

Price of non flocked holders: 1,2: $20ea; 3: $30; 4: $38; 5: $35; 6: $30; 7,8,9: $35ea; 10: $40; 11: $38 and #12(3 step Walnut): $60.
25259896924_98d779f083_b.jpg

The Over Sized Zebrawood & Wenge Strip & Pyramid Holder Set One. #13: $56; #14: $35; $10 off if purchased together. These are priced as regular sized items. This is unlikely to happen again at this price.
25264182433_8767c2a441_b.jpg

Here's a comparison against the "normal" sizes. Normal is 1-3/4" high or thick; the oversized holders are 2-1/2" thick.
25592053670_cd3d89508e_b.jpg

The Over Sized Zebrawood & Wenge Strip & Pyramid Holder Set two. #15: $49; #16: $35; $10 off if purchased together. These are priced as regular sized items.

You can see on #15 that the outer PV holes came very close to the ends. One hole edge partially crumbled when cut, resulting in the edge radius of both holes - hence the reduced price.
25892619055_dc8cb5d36c_b.jpg

These are the Walnut & Santos Mahogany Charger Holder with Magnetic Add On. #17: $100; #18: $37 ($33 if purchased with #17). Will be listed together online.

These prices are for the bare holders - flocking would add $3 for each slot or bottom, & $2 for each round hole. Highly, Highly recommended for scratch resistance.

Shipping is $7-$14 + insurance depending on the size of the box (small or medium Priority Mail).

I still have to edit all the individual images to upload to the website, as well as do the coding to create the sale listings for all of the items. I'll be working on that this evening - may or may not get finished... we'll see.

If you're interested in anything, please email me (quickest) or PM me. Also by phone: 949.432.9394 (7am-9pm Cali (Pacific) time please)

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
UPDATE: All the items are now up on the website for sale - The drawings are complete and uploaded. The charger cutout is sized for a Nitecore D4 or i4; it is 4" x 5-3/4", and about 1-5/16" deep.

Hey all,

Long time with the photos - got them done - remaining coding should be done tonight. Ahhh, computer stuff...

Made this to look similar to flocking, for demo:
25614023700_5a47cb17f5_o.gif

Soon!

Rick

Last edited:
Reactions: bnrkwest

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Getting ready to make a couple Oak wall cabinets, What Cha' Think:
26045362766_3fdc5ed5d9_c.jpg

The basic cabinet will be $99. Holds 9 MODs/Accessories per shelf. They are solid 3/4" American Red Oak. Non removable Oak ply back. Sliding Lexan doors. The basic cabinet comes with a tube MOD drilled base, and choice of one shelf. Natural, Light, Medium, Dark & Ebony stain finishes with Polyurethane Clear Coat. Additional shelves are $25, even for a custom machined one. The base can have Box MOD machined rectangles instead for $2/ea. A combo machined base (all double machined) would add $25 to the basic cost.

Rick

ps: Is everyone checking out the Absolute-Wood Contest?? Hmmm...

Last edited:

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
A quick update - the new batch of holders & a couple cabinets are currently in the Clear Coat phase and should be ready for the website in a week or less!

I also came up with a design variation for the wall cabinet that allows it to be used with either a non-machined, blank bottom; or an interchangeable machined insert that sits on top of the bottom of the cabinet. I'll post a drawing when I can.

The most updated production info can be found on the Production Progress page online.

Thanks,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey Gang-

The current run of holders are ready for photos - then up to the website! One basic cabinet drilled for tube mods with an RDA/Driptip shelf is ready to go as well.

The other cabinet (blank bottom) is in sanding now. It will have a couple small magnets embedded in the base to accept an interchangeable MOD insert.

Toots

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I'm Ready for my Close Up, Mr. DeMille...

Almost ready to shoot!
26300040652_017dbf19c7_b.jpg

From this point, shooting doesn't take long. Cropping & editing actually take longer. After that, prep of the drawings and the website coding - and away we go-

Tomorrow?
For any photo bugs out there - 2x 400ws strobes, 44" umbrellas, Canon 40D, 17-40L. My most common setup, very versatile.

Light 'em Up! - your LEDs that is

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread