Status
Not open for further replies.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey - time flies...

Been busy working on the boxmods and more in the shop. The mod mentioned above has a couple more videos of machining performed.

Plus, we've just sold our first mod "kit". This one was a partial Mod II set. The customer will supply the DNA250, a LiPo battery and the 510 connector, and assemble the Mod.

Check it out!

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Just a note, rant, whatever - it's important - many may have gotten the CASAA email about this.

My thoughts on the matter, you're welcome to use any or all of it if you like (please credit me) -

The measure that keeps existing vapor products on the market (Cole-Bishop amendment) is seriously being considered for the new fiscal year budget. This saves the vapor market and thousands of small American companies - notably mine. Millions of lives are at stake. Everyone will be affected. Our representatives need to hear from us.

Favorable data from scientific groups around the world is pouring in (consensus of 95% safer than smoking) and overwhelming the cries of those entities that will lose billions of dollars if vapor products are widely adopted as the safer alternative to tobacco use.

State governments receiving payments from large tobacco companies (Tobacco Master Settlement) and pharmaceutical companies making stop smoking aids will lose the most. The tobacco companies seem to know this is their future and are quietly supporting parts of the vapor industry.

Elimination of the vapor market will have a direct, negative impact on more than ten million individuals in the US, and many more will experience indirect negative consequences. More than 99% of the products will disappear from the market in August 2018 if this is allowed to transpire. Many jobs and small businesses lost, many who will reluctantly return to smoking. Removing the right to choose for future tobacco users. A billion people are expected to die from tobacco use this century. Vapor products might cut that number in half.

If this is "whined" or complained out of the budget by a group of politicians and activists, the possibility of the most profound boon to public health in decades or even centuries will be nearly choked from existence.

This seems the equivalent of ignoring the promise of great good coming from something new, not generally understood and almost magic like with it's ability to save lives - like penicillin.

We can't let money and power win this time, it hurts us all.

Rick Hageman
Absolute-Wood.com

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey Gang - No real news - Wanted to fill 'ya in.

Had some feeling crappy off days (aging sucks!), and we've had the last few days with temps just below 100f (last day today, possible rain this w/e). Too hot in the shop to work - can't take the heat like I used to!

The Dragon Mod will come off the mill shortly; sanding next... The new Oba Mod (custom Mod II LiPo) will be introduced to the bandsaw! Awesome body of Afzelia burl,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Happy Independence Day Vapers!

34876989454_05f902c980_z.jpg

Have a great day - enjoy some fireworks tonight

Be responsible and don't let children play with fireworks

Leave that to the adults - that have been drinking all day

:toast:

C Ya-

Rick

Reactions: puffon

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey Guys,

I've done lots of laminations with our Vape Stands and decided to do it on a smaller scale for drip tips.

To see if multiple thin pieces could be used - I prepared some thin pieces left from the Dragon blank and used 16ga (.051") brass sheet to alternate when gluing. Cut them into 3'4" squares.
35176423933_7327627524_c.jpg

Mixed up some black epoxy and started the messy job of coating, stacking and putting some light pressure on the groups. Very thin coats of glue squeezed tightly by hand then rubber banded for an hour or so until the epoxy thickened.
35176422543_23e02f83ca_c.jpg

Later, more pressure was provided with pipe clamps.

Final prep was to glue the individual laminations atop oak pieces for clamping in the lathe.
35146841554_6f5a575f38_c.jpg

Into pipe clamps after an hour or so:
35176424533_6ea1747018_c.jpg

After turning the assembly to a cylinder shape on the lathe -
35597724730_23c6c6b371_c.jpg

The brass heats up very quickly, and must be taken in steps slowly to prevent melting or catching the stabwood on fire! The orange nozzle provides cool air under pressure to cool the brass while spinning. The cylinder is 17-18mm in diameter - just under 3/4" and just under an inch in length. They will be bored for SS cores with dual o-rings. 5.5mm for a standard 510 insert, or 12.5mm for the bigger bore.

I'll probably take this further and put a drip tip section on the website and add tips when I can. Different exotic woods, brass, copper and Nickel-Silver laminations. Let's see what I can think up...

Talk to you guys soon - Later!

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey -

Well, the brass laminated tips didn't go too well. They had a tendency to break at the brass joint while being turned down to size. I'll have to rethink this method to see if an alternate adhesive is worth a try, or pinning them with small brass or stainless dowels through all the layers. Hmmm...

I have made a few from Caribbean Rosewood though -
36330520851_15769a81fb_c.jpg

On a side note, I'm dedicating some days to a 3D modeling job I was asked to do for a friend and former colleague. He now has his own company and produces technical publications for the aerospace industry, and wanted my help to make the illustration for a tear down manual for a valve in a rocket engine. I couldn't say no - sounded too cool.

Have a great week veeps (vape peeps?),

Rick

Last edited:
Reactions: oplholik

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Well, the 3D rocket valve model for NASA went well - the brass drip tip adventure ended badly:

36351875300_07aed218c0_c.jpg

There was a problem with the glue separating at the brass. All broke at least twice before I said - "no more" - move on. I may revisit the design by adding small brass "dowels" through the layers before turning them on the lathe.

But, I got a new polishing rig for my lathe, and was able to quickly polish all the brass and the body of a DNA75 Mod in production, the Sleeping Dragon; so so pics, shot with my phone:

Standing up showing the polished solid brass faceplate and connector - the faceplate has yet to be assembled:
36712629351_6f43f63fd3_c.jpg
[/url]

Laying on it's face - you can see the chandelier reflection in the tube and a little more reflection on the body to the left of the tube:
36712629101_3a684d4739_c.jpg

There is very little left to do before the final assembly will begin :thumbs:

Let's keep all our family members in Texas in our prayers - and above water!

Take care,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey again,

While waiting for the new display to come in, I completed a basic custom DNA theme for the Dragon. I dug around online and found a great font used in another theme and lots of graphics. I combined, edited and re-created several items to make the theme:

Dragon Screens by Rick Hageman, on Flickr

I've also gotten the connections soldered for the connector -

37207588692_ea20a5b6c0_c.jpg

When the screen arrives, I will apply a gold gel to tint & protect the display & finish the faceplate assembly. I'll still run some video when I power up after uploading the theme to the chipset.

Talk to you guys soon,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey Everyone -

Going to jump ahead a little. The Sleeping Dragon Mod is complete, it's finally in the mail. A few interesting notes and occurrences are worth mentioning -

I reduced the size of this Mod slightly to make it more friendly to smaller hands. The space was so tight that the rubbery cement used to attach the Faceplate would allow it to push away from it's recess because of increased tension from the wiring because of the reduced space behind the Faceplate. So it had to come apart to try and get a little stronger adhesion by adding some epoxy at the corners of the Faceplate. It worked, but the body might be damaged if we ever have to take it apart again. Oh well, do what you have to - a new body might have to go with any removal of the Faceplate.

But that wasn't the end of it - after reassembly, I put a battery in to test it again, and when turned on, the watt setting immediately began to drop as if the down control button was being pushed. The Faceplate button looked fine, but would not "click" when pushed and I couldn't stop the behavior. Great, it needs to be opened up again... I wrapped a screwdriver with a little piece of leather to protect the polished brass and took the bottom plate off (rubbery attachment still works there). It was the positive wire from the battery pushing up just the corner of the DNA board and depressing the down button on the board. I moved the wire as much as possible and placed a small epoxy "bridge" between the body and board to hold it in place. After putting it back together, everything worked as designed when tested again. Finally!

Without further adieu -

And, a few images made with "the good stuff", Canon DSLR, L series lens, Strobes & Umbrellas - enjoy

37162424713_706315bcc8_b.jpg
37882650201_272e744fb2_b.jpg

37851079372_15a734783c_b.jpg
37162424313_beacc62c47_b.jpg

37851078842_28ce5c4892_b.jpg
37172414164_1158cc8594_b.jpg

And, there you have it! I'm quite proud of it - awesome materials make an awesome looking Mod. For those wondering - The Mod V is $259 base price. The stabwood block was $74, and the cast polished brass option is $179. The standard is an Oak or Walnut body, and black plastic parts instead of brass. Other materials like stainless are available at a lesser cost than brass.

I'll add more Mod news occasionally as I work on the next five that are on the production schedule - well, four plus another customer trying to decide what options to get! Check the home page of our website for more places to learn about our Mods.

A couple interesting notes:

I might have a Mod coming up that will have Damascus Steel - at least a Faceplate! I'm going to attempt a couple drip tips first.

I will be designing a DNA Mod to look similar to the Augvape Gragas - that should be kewl - :cool:

Give someone a thumbs up and a smile today, it'll improve their face value, and yours -

Rick

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Publicvapor

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Wow - how time flies...

Hope Santa's Sleigh was heavy with vape gear for you!

A new vape stand has finally been added to the website. In Stock Holders, all the way at the bottom - #60. Made of African woods - Wenge and Padauk. Natural colors!
39376155611_8d81c78be5_z.jpg

There is a link to see a CAD drawing in the listing on the website. Most items have viewable drawings.

Also, in other news...

A new Drip Tip Section has been added to the website. Caribbean Rosewood, M3 Damascus, M3 Black Gold Mokume. More to come. Plus, we'll make custom Drip Tips - just drop us a line. We even have CAD drawings of the tips - :thumb:
37954575665_cda29f9197.jpg

Enjoy!

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey everyone,

Hope you're doin' well - I've had a fight with a cold now for about a week - glad it's not the flu - scary crap this year! I got out in the shop for a little here and there, and got some acrylic Drip Tips made. Did all the indoors work (photos, website coding...) the last couple days. All are now on the website and ready to go.
25104510187_0e648f104e_o.jpg

Here's a larger version of the above image if you like.

We're starting another crazy warm trend here - about 80 all week. Funny, we had finally gotten down to the 30s just last week - LOL.

I should get back to the shop and the Mods full time again soon.

Cheers,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread