I'm new to making juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
Hey y'all, I'm new to making my own juice, but not new to vaping. I've been smoke free for over 4 years. I'm starting to buy the supplies to make my own juice. The problem I have is that I don't know how much of my 24mg nic suspended in VG to put in my 120ml bottle of all VG juice with bubblegum flavoring. I made the juice without nic, and figured I would find a good forum to get help to add the right amount of nic. I went to a different forum first, and they were not helpful, and honestly kind of rude. Almost like vape snobs. Can someone tell me how much nic to add to this bottle? I pretty much only vape the bubblegum, so I just need to know how much to put in the 120ml bottle.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I suggest using one of the many e liquid calculators, amount will depend on what mg/ml nic you want in the finished product.
It can be as simple as, target of 120ml of 12mg/ml nic,,, add 60 ml of 24 mg/ml nic to 60 ml of base.

Lots of help & info in DIY sub forum ---> DIY E-Liquid

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hey y'all, I'm new to making my own juice, but not new to vaping. I've been smoke free for over 4 years. I'm starting to buy the supplies to make my own juice. The problem I have is that I don't know how much of my 24mg nic suspended in VG to put in my 120ml bottle of all VG juice with bubblegum flavoring. I made the juice without nic, and figured I would find a good forum to get help to add the right amount of nic. I went to a different forum first, and they were not helpful, and honestly kind of rude. Almost like vape snobs. Can someone tell me how much nic to add to this bottle? I pretty much only vape the bubblegum, so I just need to know how much to put in the 120ml bottle.
Hello & You Found The Right Place...Tons of knowledge around here...I'm kind'a new myself so I'll just suggest you look in the E-Liquid Forum and the DIY Sub-Forum...It's all there...Thousands of pages...Trig :D

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
I suggest using one of the many e liquid calculators, amount will depend on what mg/ml nic you want in the finished product.
It can be as simple as, target of 120ml of 12mg/ml nic,,, add 60 ml of 24 mg/ml nic to 60 ml of base.
I forgot to mention that I wanted 3mg nic content. I didn't measure the amount of flavoring, so I wouldn't be able to use the calculator. I just measured with my eyes according to what I'm used to seeing the vape store put in.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
To answer your question, if you add 17.5 ml of your 24mg Nic to 120 ml of your base liquid, it will come out to just slightly over ( 3.05 mg ) your desired 3 mg final mix.

When you get a chance though, check out one of the suggested ejuice calculators, you may need one in the future. :)

ETA: This will dilute your flavoring to some degree so you may need to add a touch if it seems too light.

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
To answer your question, if you add 17.5 ml of your 24mg Nic to 120 ml of your base liquid, it will come out to just slightly over ( 3.05 mg ) your desired 3 mg final mix.

When you get a chance though, check out one of the suggested ejuice calculators, you may need one in the future. :)

ETA: This will dilute your flavoring to some degree so you may need to add a touch if it seems too light.
Awesome, thank you sooo much! This forum has already been much more helpful and nice than the last one. I really appreciate the help guys.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Trying to get more precise next time and starting with a calculator might help you, especially if you want to combine flavorings in the future.... The DIY section has so many recipies to choose from. I think you've got your answer for now, and I'm of the opinion to be as precise as you *can* but ultimately .05 ml extra nic in your mix may not even be noticeable. Flavoring can be a bit more precise, if you have found you have overflavored, you may not need to add more flavor. If you were a bit under, you may need to add slightly more flavor.

Shake it like crazy! Good luck! DIY is the best... :)

Anna

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
If you add 17.5ml of 24mg/ml nic to 120 ml of base you're gonna need a 137.5 ml bottle to contain it all. *not to state the obvious*

15ml of 24mg/ml nic + 105ml base = 120ml of 3mg/ml.

Don't forget to shake till your arms get tired to mix.
Ok great thank you. I was in a hurry to get somewhere when I read the first mixture, I'm sure I would've figured it out after reading the amounts lol. I appreciate the help!

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
I'm of the opinion to be as precise as you *can* but ultimately .05 ml extra nic in your mix may not even be noticeable.

Agreed. I used 17.5 ml because that amount is easy to measure and the difference was minuscule.

If you are able to detect a .05 mg difference in your mixes, you have a far more refined palate than I. However, considering when I first started vaping I used ejuice @ 48mg, perhaps that isn't all that surprising. :D

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
The problem with doing it that way is you will dilute the flavorings by adding the nic base. Better to use a calculator and make it all at once. @NGAHaze is correct; 17.5ml of 24 into 120ml of flavor base will make the whole strength a bit over 3mg. Note, however, you will then have 137.5 ml of total volume. That's what I meant about flavor dilution. The amount you intended for 120 ml has to stretch farther. Welcome to the board,

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
Everyone is helpful on this forum. I believe it is a prerequisite. Many suppliers out there. I purchase my nic base, pg, coil making material from Nudenicotine and all my flavors from BullCityFlavors. And my recipe's from all over the internet.
I bought my nic from myfreedomsmokes.com. I buy my bubblegum flavor concentrate from them too. It's very good, and doesn't have that nutrasweet flavor to it.

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
Agreed. I used 17.5 ml because that amount is easy to measure and the difference was minuscule.

If you are able to detect a .05 mg difference in your mixes, you have a far more refined palate than I. However, considering when I first started vaping I used ejuice @ 48mg, perhaps that isn't all that surprising. :D
Lol I don't think my palate is that refined! I do notice little differences in the throat hit however. I started vaping because I have asthma, and had been a smoker for 21 years. My asthma was getting worse, plus I promised my dad (who almost died, and was in a coma for 3 weeks, in the hospital for 4.5 weeks) that I would quit for him (and myself) if he made it out of the hospital. A couple of good reasons to quit smoking, and start vaping I like to believe!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I bought my nic from myfreedomsmokes.com. I buy my bubblegum flavor concentrate from them too. It's very good, and doesn't have that nutrasweet flavor to it.
Hello and welcome to ecf.

I, too, use a bubblegum ejuice everyday. I have tried many different variations and found the best flavor of bubblegum is LorAnn's. They now offer a colorless one which I will purchase on my next order. I don't use that one straight tho. I usually start off with another bubblegum flavoring like the one you used(FS uses TFA flavorings, I think) and add the LorAnn's to taste. I have also made it with using a banana flavoring as a base too. So many ways to get to the flavor you are seeking.

Really do visit the DIY forum here at ECF. Lots of members here are more than eager to share their recipes and tips.
DIY E-Liquid

You may make new friends or see old ones.....ya never know.

:)

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
(120ml * 0mg/ml) + ("x" ml * 24 mg/ml) = 3mg/ml * ( 120ml + "x" ml)

(120 * 0) + (x * 24) = 3(120 + x)

The amount of nicotine you start with, (in milligrams, so volume times concentration; in your case, 0*24 is still zero) plus the amount of nicotine you add (x-number of ml's at 24mg per ml) equals (because we say so, because that's what we want it to be when we're done) is 3 times the number of ml's there are after you add x-amount to the original 120.

So let's rearrange some terms and cancel out the zero, you've got 24x = 3(x+120) or:

24x = 3x + 360

Subtract 3x from both sides:

21x = 360

Divide by 21:

x = 360/21 or approximately 17.14

Check: 17.14 * 24 = 411.36 milligrams nicotine in 120 + 17.14 = 137.14 milliliters total volume is 411.36/137.14 = 2.99956... or very close to your target strength of 3mg / ml.

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I too buy my flavorings from there. It's an easy one stop shop for nic base, flavoring, and if you want, supplies and hardware. I generally shop around for hardware though, but I've been going to them for my supplies as well.

Like others, I also recommend using an Ejuice calculator. Rounding off is almost a must. For that reason, I tend to stick with multiples of each other. Here's how I go about MY way of mixing juice, and I will explain why.

First, I bought several 100ml bottles. I have about 10 of them. Then I went to the grocery store and bought some nitrile gloves (Nic base is something I don't play around with), and while I was there I asked for some 10ml needle plungers from the pharmacy (Mine will give them away free). I went to My freedom Smokes and bought the flavors, VG and some PG (if you desire PG). I bought some of their 100mg/ml base. The base is fairly high mixture, but it does make it super easy to measure and do calculations (I will explain in a bit)

Now, most juices take about %5-%15 flavoring... I have experimented a bit and find I like a particular recipe... %10 Capella's vanilla Custard and %1 LorAnnes caramel. When I got my 100ML bottles, I checked exactly where the 100ml mark is by filling the plungers to 10ml with water (X10) and seeing where 100ML stops at. I made a small mark with my tape (if necessary) and that's my level. each % of flavor is 1ml, so I mix 10ml of the custard, and 1ml of the caramel. I use one plunger for each flavor, and wash them afterwards, and stick the plunger and flavoring in a ziplock so I don't cross-flavor myself. For the nic level, I prefer a 6mg/ml. So I put my gloves on, fill another plunger with 6mg of my 100mg/ml nic base, and put that in the mix. In the bottle should be 17mg of flavors and nicotine. I fill the rest up with VG, since I like max VG... Shake VERY well, then done. I shake for about 5 minutes, tossing, turning, spinning in as many directions as possible.. put it down for about 10 minutes, then repeat again (I'm OCD about mixing). Steep as desired.

Because of the 100mg/ml base, and the 100ml bottle, it makes it super easy to mix. Each percentage of flavor is 1ml, each nic level is 1ml, and no calculator needed. I am not OCD about the PG/VG levels, but if I wanted to, I make sure the nic base is all PG, and the flavors are PG if possible. that way, I know that the nic base and flavors are the PG levels.. in the above example, 6mg+1mg+10mg =17mg. if I wanted a 50/50 mix, I would simly add enough PG to = 50mg in the bottle, then fill the rest up with VG. If I simply put VG in after the flavors/nic, then I'd have 17PG/83VG mix.. which is usually what I use.

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
(120ml * 0mg/ml) + ("x" ml * 24 mg/ml) = 3mg/ml * ( 120ml + "x" ml)

(120 * 0) + (x * 24) = 3(120 + x)

The amount of nicotine you start with, (in milligrams, so volume times concentration; in your case, 0*24 is still zero) plus the amount of nicotine you add (x-number of ml's at 24mg per ml) equals (because we say so, because that's what we want it to be when we're done) is 3 times the number of ml's there are after you add x-amount to the original 120.

So let's rearrange some terms and cancel out the zero, you've got 24x = 3(x+120) or:

24x = 3x + 360

Subtract 3x from both sides:

21x = 360

Divide by 21:

x = 360/21 or approximately 17.14

Check: 17.14 * 24 = 411.36 milligrams nicotine in 120 + 17.14 = 137.14 milliliters total volume is 411.36/137.14 = 2.99956... or very close to your target strength of 3mg / ml.
Holy crap that's confusing! I'm horrible at math, I never actually learned all of that in school lol. I'm just glad someone can do it for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread