I'm think I'm really going to quit smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegster1969

Sep 27, 2016
Hello everyone,

This is my 2nd day vaping after quitting cigs cold turkey 9/25 at 9pm (not that I'm counting!). I'm feeling incredibly positive that I am really going to be able to quit smoking this time, thanks to E cigs! I seriously don't understand why I brushed off for years the suggesting by friends/family to give vaping a try...

Here is the "good" and the "not so good" of what I have been experiencing these past 2 days and maybe someone can make a suggestion or just give me support. I am trying to quit very quickly (for major surgery in 4 wks) and admittedly I didn't have the time to start at a more comfortable nicotine level and step down slowly over time.

I am (was) a PAD Marlboro Light 100 person so I know I should've started vaping at 1.2 ml, but I did something drastic and bought Cola flavor at 0.6 nicotine and Vanilla at 0.0 and I've been mixing these to fill my v2 ex blank. I have been vaping two 0.9 ml blanks each day (which is I think equivalent to 2 packs of cigs- more than I was smoking real cigs) and filling each blank with 2 ml of the 0.6 nicotine cola flavor and 7 ml of the 0 nicotine vanilla flavor. So in full I'm maintaining my ground vaping 4 ml a day of 0.6 nicotine diluted with 14 ml of zero nicotine vapor.

My plan is to maintain this schedule until this Friday. At that point I don't know if I should just switch to 100% nicotine free flavor or if I should move down from 4 ml of 0.6 nicotine per day to 2 and then one? I feel like I'm maintaining pretty well (not killing anyone anyway) at what I think is such a teeny amount of nicotine...but a lot of vaping in general. I'm thinking this might just be a necessary evil considering the drastic measures I'm taking.

I'm happy to hear any suggestions or words of wisdom. Thanks!

~pegster

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
Hello Pegster!

Grats on quitting the stinkies :toast:

I'm not sure though if i fully understand your situation?
Do you HAVE TO be nic free in 4 weeks time from now?
Is that a requirement from the doctors?

If not... nicotine isn't so bad. It certainly doesn't kill you.
A recent study points to it being comparably harmful as coffeine...
that is... not so much. Actually there might be some benefits
to nicotine consumption as well (similarily to coffee).

So... my advice would be... if it isn't a requirement by the doctors...
to choose a nicotine level, where you don't have any withdrawal symptoms.
Then... stay a couple of weeks at that level. Till you are comfortable and
not craving cigs any more. Then lower with 2-3mg per milliliter.
Rinse and repeat.

If you HAVE TO be nic-free at operation day... then do the same quicker. each weak maybe cut a quarter off the nic? Maybe get yourself a powerful subohm tank for the nic-free stuff so that you still get some kind of throat hit?

You're measurements of juice and nic-consumption are all wonky.
ml = amount of e-juice
mg/ml = milligram per milliliter = the measurement of nic concentration in e-juice.

So... "i vaped 2 ml og 9mg e-juice." is the way to say it.
Not to be nitpicky... just so that you are understood.

Pegster1969

Sep 27, 2016
Gotch23,

You're absolutely right about my wonky-ness with regard to mg/ml. I've spent 1/2 the day trying to figure out my current Nic intake vs what I was smoking...I'm still not sure I've figured that out but it definitely reminded me that I suck at math and anything associated...

To answer your question directly, yes I need to be nicotine free 4 weeks BEFORE my surgery date and I suspect my surgeon will most likely give me a blood or urine test. You see, I am having 2 different procedures; one is a medical necessity and the other is an opportunistic and well timed voluntary procedure. In other words, plastic surgery. With the specific procedure I'm having there is a considerable risk if I am not Nic-free before and after and if I test positive for Nic, my surgeon won't clear me for the procedure.

Sooo....I must quit now, regardless of the pain of withdrawal. It's really my own fault for waiting so long. If I had begun using this ecig 2 months ago, I could've have a nice, calm and easy step down....

Hello Pegster!

Grats on quitting the stinkies :toast:

I'm not sure though if i fully understand your situation?
Do you HAVE TO be nic free in 4 weeks time from now?
Is that a requirement from the doctors?

If not... nicotine isn't so bad. It certainly doesn't kill you.
A recent study points to it being comparably harmful as coffeine...
that is... not so much. Actually there might be some benefits
to nicotine consumption as well (similarily to coffee).

So... my advice would be... if it isn't a requirement by the doctors...
to choose a nicotine level, where you don't have any withdrawal symptoms.
Then... stay a couple of weeks at that level. Till you are comfortable and
not craving cigs any more. Then lower with 2-3mg per milliliter.
Rinse and repeat.

If you HAVE TO be nic-free at operation day... then do the same quicker. each weak maybe cut a quarter off the nic? Maybe get yourself a powerful subohm tank for the nic-free stuff so that you still get some kind of throat hit?

You're measurements of juice and nic-consumption are all wonky.
ml = amount of e-juice
mg/ml = milligram per milliliter = the measurement of nic concentration in e-juice.

So... "i vaped 2 ml og 9mg e-juice." is the way to say it.
Not to be nitpicky... just so that you are understood.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So it sounds like you hope to be nicotine-free at the end of 4 weeks.

That might be a tough goal to complete, IMHO. Vaping 4 - 5 ml a day is pretty typical for most vapers, taking into consideration that the nic concentration is appropriate for the individual. If I were you, I'd drop the nic level down in steps while trying to maintain the quantity of e-liquid vaped a day.

I worked for nearly 30 years as a surgical first assistant in surgery, so I know a little about what I'm about to say.

You didn't say what type of surgery you were going to be having. With some surgeries, the surgeon wants you to be completely nicotine free because of short term consequences for tissue repair: surgery involving bones, the spine, heart and vascular surgery, and reconstructive plastic surgery. Nicotine impairs new cell growth for bones, so joint replacement, fracture repair, and spinal procedures can be affected. With nicotine being a vasoconstrictor to tiny blood vessels nicotine use can have a negative effect on the heart, blood vessels, and anything to do with reconstructive surgery involving flaps, abdominal reconstruction, breasts reconstruction, and facelifts.

Other types of surgery do not necessarily require you to be nicotine-free at the time of surgery. Being a smoker is a much bigger concern to anesthesiologists because of impairment of lung function. Smokers are more likely to produce a lot of mucous in the throat & lungs during and immediately after surgery. They will be on the alert to suction that mucous if you aknowledge you are a smoker to them.

If nicotine is not really the issue with your surgery, I wouldn't be very concerned about becoming nicotine-free by your surgery date. Do your best to reduce your nicotine to the best of your ability, but don't work yourself crazy if you don't make your goal.

Most hospitals today are tobacco-free campus's, which unfortunately means no vaping allowed either. However, with a doctor's prescription you could use a nicotine patch while in the hospital.

Physicians will obviously advise patients to quit smoking, that's a no brainer. However, how do they feel about you being a vaper? More and more health workers are understanding the health benefits of vaping.

Edit: I now see that you are having plastic surgery. You posted again before I finished my own post. Good luck with dropping your nic consumption. You may find that vaping just flavors (and no nic) is adequate for you. The hand-to-mouth behavior and inhaling/exhaling of smoke is as much a part of the addiction to cigarettes as the nicotine. Vaping replicates the behavioral component of smoking.

Last edited:

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
Golden advice from Baditude. :thumb: I learnt something new as well.

You can do it! Mind over matter!
At least temporalily. Then treat the new beautiful you to some nic-laced goodness. :banana:
Just dont go back to the stinkies when it's all done, allright?

We're here to help you with any vape related problems you might have.

Reactions: Pegster1969

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Pegster1969
(Great year b.t.w.)
Wholehearted Congrats! Woot Hoot hurray. You'll feel better very soon as senses sharpen, etc.

As for the vaping, Baditude already replied with most directly applicable info for your consideration.

Just for emotional support; I've had more surgeries than almost I can count, my point for keeping 1 foot in the US.

This did include plastic or "reconstructive" surgeries after an auto wreck some time ago.
My plastic surgeon was the most emphatic of any medical professional I'd ever dealt with regarding a smoking ban for his patients, today no nicotine is posted on his website.

I considered the surgery center was not a full service community or city hospital with other supportive staff and standard O.R. facilities.
I was satisfied with the facility, the staff, the equipment, and had the choice to use another surgeon
at another facility.
:2c: (I was a smoker at the time)

Im stoic, rebellious,fairly hearty and confident in my ability to heal.
I quit stinkies some years back yet still vape. All total I've always vaped or smoked before during or after
surgeries..so consider your own medical history, your own procedures.

In 2016 I had 2 surgical procedures (technically a VATS, and ACDF) not directly related to yours (hopefully).
I was warned only by the health forums in my pre surgery research about nicotine, and followed with my own Pub Med
membership research. I personally didnt find enough to discourage my vaping (nor encourage the FDAs deeming) even with a thorough background in research sciences.
Not to counter Baditiudes post - all true, and individual mileage will vary.

I encourage you to reach your personal level of comfort, to have a positive experience and outcome.

We all wish you the best here from ECF, for a speedy recovery and happy results.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I have been vaping for just over 4 years after a 42 year heavy smoking habit. I usually vape 3mg unflavored liquid (started with 24mg). However, just as a test, I have begun using 0mg of a flavor I used my first year when I was first giving up cigarettes (cherry tobacco), for a few hours each day. Using 0mg, I still get many of the things I'm addicted to (hand to mouth, lung and throat hit, etc).

I would advise that some here have gone thru the process of nicotine testing. I think you will need at least 7-10 days of 0mg to test nicotine free.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
My plan is to maintain this schedule until this Friday. At that point I don't know if I should just switch to 100% nicotine free flavor or if I should move down from 4 ml of 0.6 nicotine per day to 2 and then one? I feel like I'm maintaining pretty well (not killing anyone anyway) at what I think is such a teeny amount of nicotine...but a lot of vaping in general. I'm thinking this might just be a necessary evil considering the drastic measures I'm taking.
Welcome and glad you joined. Would not rush things with regard to vaping zero nic only. You might want to do what feels right for you. I'm at zero nic and not a bit sorry about no nic cravings.
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner | Guide To Vaping
http://onvaping.com/guide/beginners...cig-battery-basics-cig-a-likes-egos-and-mods/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum
(4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
Hello everyone,

This is my 2nd day vaping after quitting cigs cold turkey 9/25 at 9pm (not that I'm counting!). I'm feeling incredibly positive that I am really going to be able to quit smoking this time, thanks to E cigs! I seriously don't understand why I brushed off for years the suggesting by friends/family to give vaping a try...

Here is the "good" and the "not so good" of what I have been experiencing these past 2 days and maybe someone can make a suggestion or just give me support. I am trying to quit very quickly (for major surgery in 4 wks) and admittedly I didn't have the time to start at a more comfortable nicotine level and step down slowly over time.

I am (was) a PAD Marlboro Light 100 person so I know I should've started vaping at 1.2 ml, but I did something drastic and bought Cola flavor at 0.6 nicotine and Vanilla at 0.0 and I've been mixing these to fill my v2 ex blank. I have been vaping two 0.9 ml blanks each day (which is I think equivalent to 2 packs of cigs- more than I was smoking real cigs) and filling each blank with 2 ml of the 0.6 nicotine cola flavor and 7 ml of the 0 nicotine vanilla flavor. So in full I'm maintaining my ground vaping 4 ml a day of 0.6 nicotine diluted with 14 ml of zero nicotine vapor.

I'm happy to hear any suggestions or words of wisdom. Thanks!

~pegster

Hi. Congrats and count your days. Be proud of them. Be proud to be a vaper.
I think you are getting yourself crazy about all this. Nicotine is not the major enemy. There's more in tobacco that keeps you addicted. Take it step by step. Get away from cigarettes by finding a set up that's satisfying and easy. My easy uncomplicated is an eleaf istick mod and a nautilus X atomizer. Easy.

Get a baseline. You seem all over the place. Try maybe 6mg nicotine, and 50/50 pg and vg. , and pick a benign flavor. No mixing or worrying. Just start benign. Like tobacco or 555 which is a nutty taste tobacco.

I don't do blanks, just fill and vape.
Just stick to simple until after your surgery. Don't worry about the nicotine now. You will need some and 6 mg. is like a light cigarette.

Cola and vanilla? Try RY4. It's a tobacco with a vanilla/caramel flavor to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread