important to freeze nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
Thinking.about getting some nicotine solution / juice, but really can't store it in my freezer. I have a toddler that goes in and out of my freezer all the time. I can keep it stored in a closet high on a shelf no problem- but does it matter if it sit there? I want the big bottle from MFS and I know it will take me a good while to go through it all. Just wanted yalls opinion. Thanks in advance.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
I've been meaning to share this info publicly for safer nic storage. Also from DFW with young family member.

I broke the nic down to 60ml amber glass packers with each jar also placed inside a ziplock. These were then padded with bubble wrap and store in padlocked ammo box in the freezer. The ammo case i used is tough polypropylene plastic with double latches and an o-ring seal around the top. I think worst case would be if this fell from the freezer to kitchen floor and shattered the glass packers holding the nicotine. But, even in this case, I would not anticipate external leakage. I used a medium-sized brass, weather resistant padlock.

Here are the specific items I ordered:

MTM 30 Caliber Ammo Can $12
Glass Amber Packer 60cc w/ Black Cap (x?) $.47 each

I just counted and this case comfortably holds 18 of the glass packers (and potentially 20) -- which would be a liter of nicotine. If you're using fewer, fill voids with bubble-wrap. Hope this is helpful for others. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
One possible solution.

doorwhitelarge.jpg

It will also prevent your freezer icing up from the door being opened all the time.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
If the child is a toddler then child proof caps should be on all bottles. Also a toddler should not be allowed to open a freezer by them self. God forbid the child pulled all the content out of the freezer and closed them self in. The freezer door should be secured so the child could not open it. There's more danger to a child then just whats stored inside a freezer.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Thanks for the quick reply.

Already have a lockbox lined up for the nic. I already keep my ejuices in a file cabinet with a lock on it so all my vape stuff is locked away no matter what. From what I understand air is more of a enemy than temperature, am I wrong?

Temperature is worst then air. High temperatures can oxidize nic in no time. You are correct that air, heat and light are all oxidizing factors but heat is the fastest ozidizer. Sun light produces heat so both those working in tandum are also very bad. Ambient light not as bad. Air is the slowest ozidizer.

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Awesome post LoveVanilla, thanks!
Now that the MFS sale is over and I missed it, where do you buy your nic?

Wizard Labs has been my choice over the last year. I've also recently purchased from VaporTek, and from RTSVape (which price matched to MFS). These are all excellent suppliers. Though not a supertaster, to my buds VT does have somewhat less "bite" than WL though this distinction seems to greatly diminish once aged a month or so. Have not tried RTS nic yet but buy a lot of their flavors and am confident in their products; understand it's comparable to WL.

Perhaps I should have noted I don't have a separate freezer; just a standard household over/under freezer/frig. From prior readings here, "freezing" slows molecular movement to a point where oxidation falls to very low levels e.g. multi-year shelf-life. Glass bottles are suggested as oxygen can migrate through plastic over time.

The ammo case I linked above is quite tough, lockable and the right size for 60ml packers. Durability and o-ring seal were high on my list of requirements; I didn't want leakage even if bottle(s) were broken. Didn't drive a truck over it (though you probably could...). Can accept two padlocks if one feels the need. And certainly preferable to keeping loose bottles in the freezer. Enjoy!

Last edited:

DebiK

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Georgia
I recently broke down my nic bottles for the freezer. I have Nude Nicotine and Wizard Labs bases that are less than 6 months old. They were already turning dark even though they were kept out of the light. I just never got around to breaking them down into glass bottles until I recently got an order from MFS. So, I would get it in the freezer as soon as possible.

I put mine in smaller glass bottles. Some have child proof caps. I may have went overboard, but I then put the bottles in food saver bags and vacuum sealed them. From there into a box with packing around them to keep them from being knocked against each other. Then sealed up and into the freezer.

Reactions: HazyShades

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I like the idea of a lock box inside the freezer, if it is the only freezer you have and if you have to get into it on a daily basis.

I have a small chest freezer in the basement with the type of lock someone posted a picture of earlier. I love that it's secure, but that wouldn't be very convenient for your day to day freezer.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Oxidize without air?

No need for air, since there is O2 naturally dissolved in VG and PG. Can't escape it, although there is not much. Enough to change the color, but not enough to significantly change the nic level. Freezing stops it.

It is now officially 5 years since I started storing nic in the freezer. I still have some of that vintage 2009 nic. Unchanged, as far as I can tell.

Reactions: ENAUD

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
No need for air, since there is O2 naturally dissolved in VG and PG. Can't escape it, although there is not much. Enough to change the color, but not enough to significantly change the nic level. Freezing stops it.

It is now officially 5 years since I started storing nic in the freezer. I still have some of that vintage 2009 nic. Unchanged, as far as I can tell.
Interesting Kurt. What about the carrier PG or VG. Isn't their shelf life still a factor in the freezer although extended? I remember having this discussion many moons ago here, with you and some of the experts on this subject. I won't categorically state you participated in the convo, but folks with similar credentials were part of the discussion (chemists, not Ph D mind you)

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Interesting Kurt. What about the carrier PG or VG. Isn't their shelf life still a factor in the freezer although extended? I remember having this discussion many moons ago here, with you and some of the experts on this subject. I won't categorically state you participated in the convo, but folks with similar credentials were part of the discussion (chemists, not Ph D mind you)

Not sure anyone definitively knows, but I would expect about 5 years for cool/dry ambient conditions, and indefinitely in the freezer. If water is added to the base before storage, I would expect a bit more O2 to be introduced, and lower viscosity, so maybe more oxidation of nic. One reason I store my VG-nic unthinned, and add water only when I make a juice. But in the freezer, not much will happen, even if a bit thinned. The nice thing is virtually nothing grows in these liquids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread