The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Imren 40A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...only a 17A battery, damaged at 30A

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Dec 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-40A constant current and 30A-60A pulsed. These cells were purchased by me for the purposes of testing thanks to the wonderful donations from so many of you. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuous. Otherwise they would have listed the current rating with two numbers as other companies have done. Or they would have labeled the rating on the wrap as "pulse" or "burst". Battery buyers should not have to hunt down what the number on the wrap means. I will be testing batteries at the rating listed on the wrap and pointing out when they fail to meet that listed rating.

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is a 3000mAh battery with a very exaggerated current rating. I've only given it a 17A continuous discharge rating (CDR). It gets badly damaged from just one discharge at 30A. Its appearance is identical to the HG2 but its performance is below it. Its pulse performance is average for a 15A-20A cell, up to about 40A without the voltage sagging very low or overheating.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A it reached about 2750mAh. This is average performance for a 3000mAh-rated cell at 10A.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 72°C. This is a few degrees below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 89°C. This is several degrees above the top limit (83°C) of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR). It indicates that we're operating beyond the CDR for this cell.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 105°C. This is way too high for a cell operating at its CDR and is above my 100°C safety limit.
    • At 30A the temperature rose to 119°C. This is ridiculously high and is way above my 100°C safety limit. The voltage is sagging a great deal at this current level.
    • A discharge at 35A showed the voltage immediately plunging to 3.2V and then quickly dropping from there. The capacity delivered at 35A was only about 140mAh. (Yes, that's the correct number). The large change in performance between 30A and 35A indicates that the cell was damaged at only 30A. This was due to the incredibly high temperature of 119°C reached during the 30A discharge.
    • The damage done is not physically seen on the outside of the cell. It is an increase in its internal resistance and a decrease in the cell's capacity (mAh). The higher internal resistance lowers the cell's voltage during a discharge and the reduced capacity shortens the amount of time it runs before dropping to the cutoff voltage of 2.8V.
    • At 40A, the rating given by the manufacturer, the voltage quickly plummeted with only about 100mAh delivered. This is clearly not a 40A cell...not even close.
    • A second discharge at 20A shows the significant damage to the cell from just one discharge at 30A, 35A and 40A.
    • I am setting a CDR of 17A for this cell. Its temperature at this discharge current level is the same as the temperature of the HG2 operating at its CDR of 20A. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 17A.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

2. Phassat

Phassat Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Thanks for the test Mooch... Been expecting this and time to change back to HG2. I'm only drawing max at 6A though... So no hurry. Never have a need to go beyond 10A.

Eric Auer and Mooch like this.
  3. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Thanks Mooch, another BS cell to be avoided.

Eric Auer, Liskrig and Mooch like this.
  4. supertrunker

supertrunker Living sarcasm Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
    Is this a contender for the most overrated cell of them all or are there others that overstate by similar amounts?

T

Eric Auer likes this.
  5. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Yea, you're fine at 6A-10A. :)
    While it's a wildly overrated cell, it's still an ok one and can be used without problems as a 15A-20A cell.

Eric Auer likes this.
  6. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    They all sort of blur together unless I dive back into the charts for a couple of minutes but this one is a bit worse than most of the others. They typically test out 20A cells because they run cooler than these Imrens.

Eric Auer and supertrunker like this.
  7. vaporlily
    This message by vaporlily has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 14, 2015, Reason: Unregistered Supplier.
    Dec 14, 2015
  8. Mooch
    This message by Mooch has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 14, 2015, Reason: Cleaning up / Collarteral damage.
    Dec 14, 2015
  9. vaporlily
    This message by vaporlily has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 14, 2015, Reason: Unregistered Supplier.
    Dec 14, 2015
  10. vaporlily
    Dec 14, 2015
  11. Mooch
    This message by Mooch has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 14, 2015, Reason: Cleaning up / Collarteral damage.
    Dec 14, 2015
  12. vaporlily
    Dec 14, 2015
  13. Marc411

Marc411 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Outstanding information Mooch!

It will be easy for members to know what batteries to buy.

14. Liskrig

Liskrig Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2015
    MA, USA
    Thank you for all your hard work! Your reviews are very easy to follow, even for a clown like me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Amelie

Amelie Full Member

Dec 14, 2015
    thanks for the test

Mooch likes this.
  16. WharfRat1976

WharfRat1976 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Vape shops filled with kids vaping these on super sub ohm builds. Scary stuff.
    I pulled one kid out, a friend of mine and showed him the information.

His mouth dropped and he profusely thanked me.

Saving vapers one vape at a time.

SLIPPY_EEL, Eric Auer, pnyc and 2 others like this.
  17. Phassat

Phassat Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2014
    Planet Earth
    RIP is identical with cloud chasing, low ohm build and he was using IMREN during his review. I think it made people think that it is a good battery instantly as he use that one too...

Robert Cromwell and Eric Auer like this.
  18. Silvia Flower
    This message by Silvia Flower has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jan 13, 2016, Reason: Unregistered Supplier.
    Jan 11, 2016
  19. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    The performance wasn't that good. The HG2 is better and costs less. But if the Imren is working well for you then you should use it! :)

Robert Cromwell, KenD and Eric Auer like this.
  20. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Depends on how you define performance & what your amp requirements are.
    And if you chose to support another company that uses dishonest marketing hype amp claims to sell batteries.

Eric Auer, KenD and Mooch like this.
  21. Silvia Flower
    This message by Silvia Flower has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jan 13, 2016, Reason: Unregistered Supplier.
    Jan 12, 2016
  22. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What you think won't really change objective facts derived from tests. We've heard many a time "it works great for me", and I'm sure it does, until it doesn't. In any case, Imren's are rewrapped batteries and there's no logic in them being better than the non-rewrapped originals. In fact, rewrap companies commonly buy b-stock in order to save money. A fancy new wrapper won't alter the performance.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Eric Auer and Robert Cromwell like this.
  23. Robert Cromwell

Robert Cromwell Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Often a substandard re-wrap will cost more than a genuine quality battery.

KenD and Eric Auer like this.
  24. Silvia Flower
    Jan 12, 2016
  25. Robert Cromwell

Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Silvia has a vested interest in Imren?

Vapers in the know everywhere trust Mooch for valid test results.
    Mooch is respected by vape reviewers around thew world for the work he has done for us. Mooch has no profit motive at all with his test results.
    His motive is to help vapers be safer and more satisfied with their vape.

26. Silvia Flower
    Jan 12, 2016
  27. Robert Cromwell

Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Opinions are of course allowed here. Yours just seemed a bit pointed so I expressed mine as well.
    I wish you a safe vaping journey.

Know your battery's actual limits and stay well within those limits for a safe vape experience.

28. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas

So because a few other unscrupulous companies use the same deceptive marketing strategy to sell batteries, that makes it an acceptable practice?

I think not, and neither would any honest person.
    You love a company that uses lies to make a profit, lies that could get someone hurt if they believed them.
    Using a battery that has an actual 17a CDR in a manner that requires a 30a CDR cell is dangerous.

It is obvious you do not understand or know much about batteries, testing, amp ratings, amp drain and even worse basic battery saftey.

If the batteries were rated and labeled accurately there would be no discussion.

And, the market is not " beyond cure ".
    Actual manufacturers rate their cells accurately.

29. coilburner

coilburner Account closed on request ECF Veteran

Jul 3, 2015
    Just don't expect it to preform as advertised.

Eric Auer and Robert Cromwell like this.
  30. Amelie

Amelie Full Member

Dec 14, 2015
    Mooch,I keep concerning this test for a long time,lol,thank you very much for the test. Just wonder why i can not see some people post? Does they disobey some rules here? I m a new member here,just wondering that,lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.