Imren Gold 30A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a ridiculously overrated battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The two cells tested were donated by The Vapor Emporium (Vaping Accessories, Kits, Liquids & Batteries - New Market, Maryland) for the purposes of testing. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a ridiculously overrated 15A battery.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Performance Compared to the VTC6
    image.png image.jpeg

VTC6 Specs
    image.jpeg

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 2819mAh. This is about average performance for a 3000mAh cell at 10A so I am rating it at 3000mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 68°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR). This is an indication that we are operating below its true rating.
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 81°C, just above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR. This is an indication that we are operating very near its true rating.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 93°C, this is above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at above its true rating.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 105°C, above my 100°C safety limit. This is an indication that we are operating far above its true rating. The voltage is sagging a lot too. This is clearly not a 30A cell.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...afety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7566/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...fety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7554//

Last edited by a moderator:

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Do you usually evaluate a pair of cells in your tests Mooch?
    I only see curves for a single battery in your charts… am I missing something? :)
    Consistency can be of importance, critical for in-series setups.
    Do you remember HKJ's test of the Gpower 25A 2600mAh? Awful consistency! As if the rewrapping/packaging machine got halted and refilled with some other random cells in a hurry… :eek:

Cheers :)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Do you usually evaluate a pair of cells in your tests Mooch?
    I only see curves for a single battery in your charts… am I missing something? :)
    Consistency can be of importance, critical for in-series setups.
    Do you remember HKJ's test of the Gpower 25A 2600mAh? Awful consistency! As if the rewrapping/packaging machine got halted and refilled with some other random cells in a hurry… :eek:

Cheers :)

Check the first line of my post above. :)
    If I see more than a 2% difference between the two cells I post those results and stop the testing, they're too inconsistent. If they are within 2% of each other I continue the tests but only post one set of curves as only one set is needed (since they're consistent) and it makes reading the graphs considerably easier.

Reactions: KenD

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Check the first line of my post above. :)
    If I see more than a 2% difference between the two cells I post those results and stop the testing, they're too inconsistent. …
    Thanks for the explanation. Of course I see/knew your reviews always start with the plural word “cells”, but it dawned on me that the graphs only had “single” curves.

Thanks and cheers :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread