Imren Purple 40A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 20A battery, runs very hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-25A constant current. This cell was purchased from IMRBatteries and donated for testing. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

image.jpg

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

Bottom Line
    This is a 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell that runs undamaged at 20A but very hot. At 25A it hit my safety limit of 100°C. In my opinion this is not a 40A cell and you should not run it at above 20A.

Test Results
    image.jpg

Comments
    • At 20A the cell had a very high maximum temperature of 84°C.
    • At 25A the cell reached a max temperature of 98°C which coasted to just a bit over 100°C after the test finished. This is a dangerously high temperature for a cell.
    • Discharges were not done at 30A, 35A, or 40A due to the cell hitting my temperature safety limit of 100°C during the 20A test.
    • An additional five cycles at 20A showed no damage at all so no follow-up 10A discharge (to confirm any damage) was done.
    • I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell. The cell runs hot at this current level but since it didn't show any signs of damage I think you will get decent cycle life at 20A. In my opinion you should not run this cell at above 20A!

Last edited:

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2014
    Oklahoma, USA
    Theres a shop by me that sells this battery also, they claim it is their "hottest" item, (no pun intended, kinda) they swear by it and claim its made by the ONLY company out there who makes it strictly for vaping. Id go there and put them on the fence about this. Bit they'd just say "oh dont believe the internet" is there any way we could get some video or pictures of you doing these tests?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Theres a shop by me that sells this battery also, they claim it is their "hottest" item, (no pun intended, kinda) they swear by it and claim its made by the ONLY company out there who makes it strictly for vaping. Id go there and put them on the fence about this. Bit they'd just say "oh dont believe the internet" is there any way we could get some video or pictures of you doing these tests?

Internet videos or pictures could be faked quite easily too. :) And I think they wouldn't validate the accuracy of my equipment or testing methodology any more than what I've detailed in my blog. If someone doesn't want to believe, I think they just won't.

I don't want to have to deal with sound, lighting, etc., either or worrying about the other nearby stuff I'd have to cover up because it's client related and definitely can't be photographed. And I frakkin' hate seeing pictures or video of myself. :)

It's cool that you want to show that shop that what they're selling might not be what they say though. But that will be a tough battle. The profit on rewrapped batteries is much higher than on Samsung's, Sony's, LG's, etc. And the usual tests they do, swapping batteries in a mod to compare them, are incredibly unreliable. If they don't think that my efforts to detail the equipment I use, the way I do the tests, the consistency of my results with manufacturer's specs and other tester's results, etc., are believable then I don't think they will believe a video either.

Another way to approach the shop, in addition to showing them any testing I or another tester have done, is to ask to see what tests they are basing their claims on. If they are just restating the claims the battery rewrapper is making, why should anyone trust that any more than claims I or another tester might make? After all, if I'm a fake then certainly anyone else could be. Especially someone (or a company) with a financial stake in all of this. While part of me thinks it would be great to be paid to do this testing, I am happy that I don't receive a dime. I don't even get free batteries! The only ones I have are the ones I've tested and most of those are not in great shape after I am done with them...if not outright ruined.

I'd be really interested in hearing how this all goes if you do talk to the shop though....honestly. :)

Reactions: inspects

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2014
    Oklahoma, USA
    Internet videos or pictures could be faked quite easily too. :) And I think they wouldn't validate the accuracy of my equipment or testing methodology any more than what I've detailed in my blog. If someone doesn't want to believe, I think they just won't.

I don't want to have to deal with sound, lighting, etc., either or worrying about the other nearby stuff I'd have to cover up because it's client related and definitely can't be photographed. And I frakkin' hate seeing pictures or video of myself. :)

It's cool that you want to show that shop that what they're selling might not be what they say though. But that will be a tough battle. The profit on rewrapped batteries is much higher than on Samsung's, Sony's, LG's, etc. And the usual tests they do, swapping batteries in a mod to compare them, are incredibly unreliable. If they don't think that my efforts to detail the equipment I use, the way I do the tests, the consistency of my results with manufacturer's specs and other tester's results, etc., are believable then I don't think they will believe a video either.

Another way to approach the shop, in addition to showing them any testing I or another tester have done, is to ask to see what tests they are basing their claims on. If they are just restating the claims the battery rewrapper is making, why should anyone trust that any more than claims I or another tester might make? After all, if I'm a fake then certainly anyone else could be. Especially someone (or a company) with a financial stake in all of this. While part of me thinks it would be great to be paid to do this testing, I am happy that I don't receive a dime. I don't even get free batteries! The only ones I have are the ones I've tested and most of those are not in great shape after I am done with them...if not outright ruined.

I'd be really interested in hearing how this all goes if you do talk to the shop though....honestly. :)
    Well thanks for all the clarifications, id believe you any day before i believe a shop with the experience ive had, your response assures me even further of your testing and i definitely would like to confront them about it, the only thing that makes me hesitant is i have had arguments with the shop owner before and i know he is hard headed like most of them out there, i think your right about how i should go about this, asking how they test them and all.

Reactions: Mooch

Froth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 1, 2014
    Chipotle.
    Sheesh, I need to get into the rewrap business!
    1. Buy bulk 25R's
    2. Apply shrink tube wrapper with "60A Cloudpower" on it.
    3. Profit.

I'm surprised there's not more re-wraps to be honest, the market is full of gullible misinformed customers just waiting to be taken.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread