• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

In need of am upgrade...suggestions welcone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strick

Jul 7, 2016
Hi all

Just joined the forum. I've been vaping for 2 years on evod vape pens and I'm ready for something new.

I bought a kanger subvod from my local shop and I've been really disappointed with it, loads of smoke but not a lot of flavour plus the battery life is quite poor for my usage.

Problem is I'm not familiar with the terminology of hardened vapers, all I've ever done is buy replacement 1.8 coils and liquids.

What I like is flavour more than the amount of smoke but fancy a change from my basic evod.

Like the title says, I'd be grateful for any suggestions, cheers!

bongobreak

Mar 18, 2016
Norfolk, England
Hi Strick, been a couple of weeks since the last post here, thought I'd chime in with my experiences, hopefully be of some help if you haven't made a decision yet.

Like you I spent a couple of years with vape pens - mainly a Joyetech ego - it worked ok, I was vaping mouth-to-lung 70/30 PG/VG juice so it was quite runny (and leaky) but flavour was good, with virtually no vapour.

A year ago I changed to a box mod - Innokin MVP3.0 - and a Kanger Aerotank, using the same juice with the same technique - I found the coils (~1.8 ohms I think) didn't last very long, perhaps a month max, and at 2 quid a pop (tenner for 5) I thought there must be a cheaper way...(not that 2 quid is a lot, but....you know...)

I thought it would be great if I could build my own coils but knew nothing about it, so went to my local vape shop, and they recommended that I change to a VG heavy juice and direct lung inhale - I had been sceptical since when I tried a VG juice a while ago, it tasted odd and left a thick mucus at the back of my throat!
The vape shop lady said that happened because it was a cheap juice, and she recommended a flavour which I tried in the shop and it tasted great - no unpleasantness at all, just a nice flavour and lots of vapour.
After an hour of chat, and parting with an amount of currency I left with a new box mod, some VG juice, a rebuildable tank atomizer (RTA) and some 26 gauge kanthal wire, I went home to try out this coil building lark.

This was probably 6 months ago, and I am hooked on building my own coils now - I can roll out a foot of clapton wire in about a minute - (clapton wire is where a thinner wire is coiled around a thicker wire - it holds more juice and therefore produces more vapour/flavour)

Anyway, sorry I've rambled on a bit, but in summary, don't worry about taking the plunge - my first step into box mods wasn't that successful either.
I try to tally up how much money I've saved from quitting smoking, and I plough it into vape stuff nowadays - and I'm still quids in, so spending a bit of cash feels fine for me!
I also found it helpful that the vape shop lady was so understanding, and willing to listen to my nooby questions, and maybe 'cos I'm an old geezer I didn't care about how I didn't know anything! lol

You'll be up to speed in no time Strick - vaping like a pro and building fused claptons (whatever they are! lol) before you know it!

As Shirtbloke said there are a wide variety of gadgets out there - but just for the record, I'm using a Wotofo Stentorian Chieftain 220 watt box mod - sounds scary, but I got it because it has a load of safety features, and I don't crank it up to max either, so the batteries last longer.
(The batteries are Efest 18650 3500mAh and I have my mod set to 50 watts)

I currently use a Geekvape Griffin RTA - I have two, the 22mm and the 25mm for more juice capacity, and I make 32 gauge kanthal over 26 gauge kanthal claptons - 7 wraps each side (two sides) - which gives 0.46 ohms
(Take care with sub-ohm mods that aren't protected - mine is, so it tells me if there's a short etc.)

My juice of choice is by Generals Juices and is called 20:03HRS also known as After Eight flavour, and is 70% VG to 30% PG - tastes great, not too sweet, and not at all fattening!! lol

Best of luck :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Banger696

pfaber11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
england
It really sounds like what you need is a new tank. I use the Arctic v1 mostly and costs about 20 quid . plenty of flavour and vapour . Maybe you could replace your mod too would recommend the ipower 80 watt by eleaf ,enough battery power to keep you going for day or 2 . I'm currently using the kanger kbox 70 at about 40 watts and it's a great little mod . It's 4000 mah and lasts me about a day and a half . Both the kbox70 and the ipower 80 can be picked up for 39.99 or less at the moment . both have built in batterys so no messing around with charging 18650's .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread