RDA In the Pursuit of Flavor - RDAs that build on the Magma design

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasteyrself

Nov 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I guess I'll prefix this thread with the fact that I'm not into cloud chasing whatsoever, I'm solely looking for great flavor production from an rda, and all the info that I've found indicates that the Magma is considered a top tier rda for that purpose. Like any rda though, it's not without its faults, and as far as I could tell, there are two recent RDAs that either build off the Magma's original design, or meld features of the Magma with other atomizer features to correct faults in the Magma's design (leaking, etc).

The first I heard about was the Holmes, its raised posts apparently help with the leaking issues while still maintaining great flavor production, as well as being easy to build on. But it is also ugly as sin and manufactured by Cigreen.

The second I heard about was the N22 (aka the Nova 22), which I still don't know too much about, but someone suggested it to me on the premise that I was seeking a successor to the Magma. Not many sites distribute it and I had a hard time finding any sort of commentary on it. They're rectifying an issue with the 510 threading in their latest batch.

The last one I usually have suggested to me (which I don't believe builds off the Magma) is the Veritas, with the caveat that it's apparently a hassle to build on, but as a result, the flavor production is supposedly unmatched. People also like to toss in the Plume Veil at this stage too, but I'm not quite sure if it's an RDA that is trying to be a jack of all trades, or if it leans towards cloud chasing over flavor production.

I'd just like to get people's thoughts on this line-up of RDAs, the N22 has piqued my interest, but I can't find much on it out there. I'd like to try to keep it authentic, unless there are excellent 1:1 clones of these that are functionally equivalent to the authentic design, and please remember that I don't care about clouds, it's all about flavor to me. Thank you for any knowledge you'll share.

Adee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2014
London uk
Cost effective and very well made. Like I said im no expert but tis one to look into. I think Rip has a video on it as have a few others. I'll only ever have one rda as im more into rta (kayfuns) but I am impressed by the Vulcan.

No need for tools as it has thumb screws but does come with regular screws in the spares bag you get with the kit.

Looks very industrial with the heat syncs on the top and bottom.

Very easy dual coil set up.

Well machined

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I've tried a couple of different ones, mainly I modify them to use as bottom feeders for on my Reo. I'm the same as you though, flavour trumps vapour all day for me.

I've used the following clones (modded to BF) :

Stillare, pretty good flavour, but I got a few leaks around the O-rings. The "brass" one I had turned green inside after a week.
Cryptex, again great flavour, the top cap design does help to cool down a hotter vape, not the best looking RDA though.

Picked up a Mephisto (clone again). But use this for straight dripping. I prefer this one over the last two (even though I'm using it differently). Huge post holes, will take any sort of wire you throw at it. Easily adjustable AFC, decent juice capacity too and superb flavour.

Finally, if you don't want a clone. I picked up a genuine Odin from Loki Labs recently (already modified for the Reo). This is the best one out of all of them. Unique deck, holds tons of juice. Little bit more difficult to build on than the Mephisto, but boy is it worth the little bit of extra time. Flavour is amazing. I'll definitely be getting another at some point. They do sell the normal non-BF option too.

SuperX on here swears by the Odin.

wasteyrself

Nov 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Magma caught my eye as well.
In looking at "comparable" devices I came across the Achilles.

I went ahead and ordered a clone of the Achilles, hope to get the thing in a few days.
Sweet, let me know how this works out.

Suck my mod did a review on an rda called the freakshow. Airflow comes from under the coil like the magma. He seemed to really like it. Plus it's an authentic for only $30
I've seen this on a few sites, didn't look into it too much into it but maybe now I should.

Finally, if you don't want a clone. I picked up a genuine Odin from Loki Labs recently (already modified for the Reo). This is the best one out of all of them. Unique deck, holds tons of juice. Little bit more difficult to build on than the Mephisto, but boy is it worth the little bit of extra time. Flavour is amazing. I'll definitely be getting another at some point. They do sell the normal non-BF option too.

SuperX on here swears by the Odin.
Very cool, this is another RDA I've seen around, I should start looking into how flavor focused RDAs are constructed so I can identify when an RDA has the great potential for flavor instead of just cloud chucking.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Suggestions on a build for the Magma?

Nice thing is it will work nicely with Dual or Single Coil Builds. Singles are great for lower powered Regulated Mods at 1.4-1.8ohm

I Have both of mine running 28ga. Dual coils at .65ohm on Mechanical Mods. Excellent results.

N22 is available on eBay for $29. Mine should be in soon. My favorite RDA's are the Patriot V2 & the Little boy. Also have the Magma but it needs improvement; hoping the N22 is it. Whoever mentioned the veritas, you're right; hard as hell to build and is generally of poor quality (screws too small, O rings too thin/loose). I've had good luck with clones from Amazon & eBay. By the way, the SMPL Mod is available also from eBay for about $27. Compared it to a friends authentic; no difference. The one I got is made by "A Mod". Best Mod I have. That direct atty to battery contact everyone talks about really makes a difference in performance. Also nice to not have anything to adjust & all my attys fit flush. Will post a N22 review when I get it.

Last edited:

rlcarson

Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
The Triad, NC
The Cerberus looks preety sweet! Anybody tried it? image.jpg

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
............. Whoever mentioned the veritas, you're right; hard as hell to build and is generally of poor quality (screws too small, O rings too thin/loose). .........

I have the $8.xx 1:1 Veritas from FT and the machining is fine on it. You're right about the o-rings though. They're thin and of poor quality. One has broke on mine already and I'm getting a replacement from FT. I prefer single coils and that's easy enough on it, but for the folks that like duels coils it is a little more fiddly than some others. I still regard it as the best dollars I've spent on vaping in a while.

Another thing to keep in mind on the Magma though is that it can be modded to be just as leak resistant as the Veritas. Looks fairly easy to do as well.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ms/594806-magma-rda-lifting-air-channels.html

The Cerberus ?
I don't see a need for anything more than 2 coils IMO. The post holes are too small; looks like anything larger than 28g will be a problem. The negative terminals are the type requiring you to wrap the wire around the screw & tighten down. That's not only the worst method, those screws look tiny. Getting the coils in place (in front of the air flow holes) is going to be difficult since they seem to be in the drip well. I wouldn't buy this atty.

Last edited:

hammerfly

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Lake Charles, LA
Another one here with a Vulcan clone and loving it and the ease to build on it. I got it for testing new flavors as I make them and only have a VTR to use it on at 15 watts. I using two coils of 28 gauge with eleven wraps each for around 2 ohms. I get plenty of vapor and lots of flavor with it. It is great if you are in to DIY juice. I can re-wick in just a couple of minutes when trying different juices. It's gotten to the point now that I don't pick up my other batteries or tanks. Lung hits are awesome and a good way to cut way down on nic levels. I love it and starting to go down a rabbit hole I may not need to be in. :D

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
The Cerberus looks preety sweet! Anybody tried it? View attachment 392948

Not a flavor machine.

The Plumeveil has great flavor in light of being able to produce clouds as well. But the Magma still beats it for flavor (same goes for the big block).

N22 looks interesting but I usually hear it referenced for clouds, not flavor.
If it has a internally domed cap then it may have great flavor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread