Status
Not open for further replies.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Your getting the same results that I got with the Inawera tobaccos.
I tried 5 of their concentrates, and gave up on them when it came to tobacco's.
To me, they make some great flavors ... but their tobaccos are not one of them.
I have found Hangsen to be my "go to" for tobacco flavors ...

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I have one question regarding Inawera tobaccos

I feel your pain with experiencing "non-flavor" with some of the INW tobaccos. However, there are certain tobaccos (in every tobacco line, not just INW) which are going to require more than 1 or 2% in the mix to get results.

By, my calculations 6 drops in 10ml, depending on the bottle drip tip, gets you somewhere between 1 and 2% in the mix. Generally, I mix by weight, not drops when mixing; but, I can flip flop my calculator to drops to see what percentage folks are using in a mix.

Anyhoo..... I've found that when I get a new tobacco, I mix a 3ml (single flavor) test batch at 5% right off the bat. This allows me to tell whether I need to go up or down on the percentage in a mix.

Below are some INW tobaccos which are punchy at low percentage rates:
Am4a
Black for Pipe
Dark for Pipe
Gold Ducat
Absolutes: Cuban, Oriental, Virginia, and Garuda

Considering HS tobaccos, for me, I absolutely must mix most all HS tobaccos above 5% in the mix to obtain an enjoyable tobacco note. The HS Arabic is one of the few which doesn't require a great deal in the mix to be enjoyable.

Having said all that..... I'm a tobacco hound and like a very strong tobacco flavor in my vape. I typically vape NET, if that gives you any indication as to how much tobacco flavor I like in my vape.

You'll hear this a bazillion times (probably have already)...... Taste is subjective. What's great for you may suck for me and visa versa.

Good luck on your quest for tasty tobaccos! :)

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
Thanks Slots and nostradadus for your replies !

I've not given up on the Inawera tobaccos quite yet - I added 10 drops of TAV + 6 drops DNB to both the USA Mix and the S'Camel that allready got 12 drops of flavour.

If this "medicine" is not waking them up, the tobacco line from Inawera get's a dagger in the back I'm afraid.
I will try Am4a, GD and Dark for pipe if the "medicine cure" to the current mix doesn't wake up the sleepers.

Regards
Zinfandel

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014

I've not given up on the Inawera tobaccos quite yet - I added 10 drops of TAV + 6 drops DNB to both the USA Mix and the S'Camel that allready got 12 drops of flavour.

If this "medicine" is not waking them up, the tobacco line from Inawera get's a dagger in the back I'm afraid.
I will try Am4a, GD and Dark for pipe if the "medicine cure" to the current mix doesn't wake up the sleepers.

Regards
Zinfandel

Something else I must ask: What's your mixing ratio ?PG/?VG

For me, a high VG ratio mutes tobacco flavors. My sweet spot is at least a 40PG/60VG mix. Sometimes it's higher on the PG if needed for the throat hit, thinning the consistency of the concentrate used (TA) or if the juice channels on my tank are small.

The higher the PG ratio, the more the tobacco flavor "pops". :)

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Something else I must ask:
For me, a high VG ratio mutes tobacco flavors.
I never go below 50/50. On tobaccos I mainly go with 70/30 PG/VGl
I use 70PG/30PG in my tobacco's too. Definitely agree that high VG mutes all flavors
Forgot to mention I don't care for harsh or strong tobaccos flavors .. I like "smooth"
There are some tobacco's I can't even vape "solo", or I have to use like 1 drop to 6ml.
But still ... if I don't end up PIFing what I have left of my INW tobacco flavors, they will slowly die of old age
There are too many good tobacco flavors out there to force myself to use INW :rolleyes:.... other INW flavors OK

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Something else I must ask: What's your mixing ratio ?PG/?VG

For me, a high VG ratio mutes tobacco flavors. My sweet spot is at least a 40PG/60VG mix. Sometimes it's higher on the PG if needed for the throat hit, thinning the consistency of the concentrate used (TA) or if the juice channels on my tank are small.

I'm starting realize that again. Several months back I experimented quite a bit and decided I could live with higher vg mixes and it's a little cheaper for me that way. But my last base I went to 30 percent pg and I'm liking it much better. I'm thinking of going back to at least 50/50 and maybe even higher on the pg.

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
I am not dooing sub-ohm vaping, so for me too much vg only makes the tobacco juices taste unnaturaly sweet. I try to avoid using EM too, for the same reason.

If the tobacco juices tastes to dry, I add 3-5% DW. Adding a tiny bit of sweet fruit flavours to dry tasting tobaccos also makes wonders.

How long do you steep single flavour Inawera tobaccos? I should asume 10-14 days would be enough? For complex mixes,chocolate and perhaps cigar flavours I asume 4 weeks should do it?

Regards
Zinfandel

Reactions: JD1 and Kenna

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
Ok, I figured out why I had no taste from the S'Camel and USA mix...

I did a new trial with tobacco orange, using the same recomended drops (6 to 8 drops in 10ML). I let it steep 10 days,and testes the e juice - no taste at all (just a faint taste of something I couldn't recognize). I did a smell test of the consentrate bottle and it smelled real nice.

I did remember a discussion earlier in this thread about the actual number of drops per bottle of consentrate, some stated 200 and others 600. I made a excel sheet for calculating drops to % and vica versa. I had an input for number of drops per concentrate bottle. I went and checked different pages (inawera.com, inawera winkle and e-aromashop) for recomended drops to add. They were all over the place, from 1 drop pr 5ml. to 6-8 drops pr. 10ml.
They all stated 200 drops pr. bottle of the concentrates.

I decided to count the drops my self and found a consistency of 32-33 drops pr. 0.5ml of consentrate, or 64-66 drops pr. ml. For ease of use, I calculating with 600 drops pr. bottle in my excel sheet.

So recalculating the recomended 6-8 drops from 200 to 600 drops pr. bottle, I ended up with 18-24 drops (3 to 4% total flavouring). I decided to go a litle lower than 18 drops, and went with 16 drops in 10ML. base.

BINGO! The taste of the juices are now tasty and nice, and the finished mix also smells simular to the consentrate bottles.

Hope this can help others to taste the juices, and enjoy Inawera consentrates.

I am not sure if the recomended 6-8 drops pr. 10ml. tastes as they do for me at 3x the number of drops, when dooing sub ohm vaping, but maybe the heat from sub ohm vaping makes the flavours much more prominent. But for me on a single coil protank ii mini, I needed to bump the flavours up by 2 to 3 times the recomended 6-8 drops, to get an enjoyable and tasty vape.

Regards
Zinfandel

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
Thanks @Zinfandel, that's a good reminder. As much as I like just using drops, they have changed the bottles, not to mention the (usually) rebottled ones available in the US may be different. So the old recommendations for drops are most likely outdated. Now I just drop into a 1ml syringe until I get to the %, I just don't bother with a plunger. Finally got to mix the custard a couple days ago and the drops were really small. You're right...12 drops (thinking it was 2%) and I would have tasted nothing.
Glad you got it sorted out!

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
The thanks should in reality go to you glasseye, Jimi D and all you other contributers in this thread!

I would have been all lost without your dedication and help to others through out this wonderful thread, for so many years! Reading all pages (several times and taking notes) was a blast and a wonderful learning experianse! Hats of to you all!

I'm really glad I sorted it out, so I can start enjoying my 50+ Inawera consentrates, including the tobaccos.

Too sad Jimi D and a few of the other mayor contributers have left this forum, I'm pretty sure they would have kept throwing us all new fantastic recipes.

If you see them in another forum, please bring forward my outmost THANKS!

Regards
Zinfandel

And thanks @Zinfandel for the timely reminder regarding drop volumes and VG's flavour muting abilities.

I was running low on PG and made my latest batch of personal INW tobacco must-haves with VG only.

My starting to use those full VG batches just happened to coincide with my switching to temp control and stainless steel coils and I naturally blamed the lack of flavour on the use of SS coils. :sneaky:

"No so fast, says my little inner friend now. It's your own damn fault!"

Instead of my regular 10-12 drops of concentrate plus 2 drops of DNB (per 10ml) I'll probably increase the dosage by 50% for full VG.

Which reminds me...

Yesterday I tried ordering flavours and base from the "e-aroma" place mentioned here. I've ordered from at least three different Inawera-* online shops in the past and every time their customer service was top notch. This new place seems to take a long time to reply to simple queries and even then fail to answer them.

What's the current status of the different Inawera shops?

Reactions: Kenna

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
I'm glad I could help Dudeus Nordicus.
And thanks for info about the % increase for VG heavy juices, I'll try that for some change from my regular high PG mixes.

Btw, I had the whole army's laundry division in my mixing room last weekend!
Atleast it smelled like they all showed up when I opened and sniffed the perique black bottle :-O
Holy cow, what a horrible smell!

Let's really hope that smell goes away after steeping. Went With 1% mix on 10ml, wanted to thread lighty With it, since the smell was strong :)

Reagrds
Zinfandel

Reactions: Kenna

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal

Regards
Zinfandel
My general rule of thumb for INW tobaccos is 5%. Mixing at 70VG/30PG, I've had good results with AM4A, Dark/Black/Cherry for Pipe, and RY4. Gold Ducat also works at 5%, though I personally hate that flavor. French Pipe, Vanilla for Pipe, and 555 Gold have all needed 7% or higher ratios. VfP is rather weak even at 10%, which is a very high ratio for INW. My standalone favorite INW tobacco is AM4A.

Last edited:

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
Thanks jambi for your recomendations!

I haven't tried any of the "... for pipe" flavours yet, but in my next order I sure will order some, along with am4a and GD.

Btw, the Perique black lost all of it's nasty smell after 2 weeks of steeping. At 1% it's now an interresting flavour, that can easily be vaped as a stand alone. It has a "odd" taste to it (not in a bad manner) compared to other tobacco's I've tasted. Not sure what I pick up, eighter some spices or very mild fruit flavours. It's a bit "sour" tasting, but a mild flavour strenght overall (not in your face type of strength). I'll try another mix at 1,5% or 2% to see if the "sour" taste transforms into more spicey/fruity flavours. I think going beyound 2-2,5% would be stretching it a bit With this flavour, but we'll see once the 1,5-2% mix is turning out.

Regards
Zinfandel

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
My standalone favorite INW tobacco is AM4A.

.....one of my favorites as well.

Funny..... I saw a recipe the other day which had 6% Am4a mixed with roughly 1% almond and 1% caramel. It was touted as a "Marlboro 27" cig-a-like.

As long as I've been vaping Am4a, it's never tasted anywhere close to a store bought boxed cigarette; wonderful pipe tobacco, yes.....cigarette, no.

Taste is so subjective! ;)

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
I totally agree with you nostradamus, I have not tasted anyting like a store bought boxed cigarette in any e juice, but some good tobacco tasting juices for sure.

I was trying out my 3% Inv. 555 Gold the other day, and liket it quite well. At the same time I made up a 3% FA custard, just to test the flavour profile of it. As a stand a lone the FA custard was good.
Then I decided to mix the 555 and the custard at a 50/50 mix. The taste was ok, but was overpowered by the Vanilla taste in the custard. I kept mixing the custard Down to a 25/75 mix With 555, and the result was really Nice - nutty tastes with a light custard taste, With some faint lemon in the background :) I asume the Inv. custard would work well too.

As a fact, I think custard in smaller amounts would play well With most tobaccos. Will try to mix in some custards in future tobacco mixes to see how they will end up tasting.

Regards
Zinfandel

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I'm gonna go ahead and review Inawera's new Custard, because I really like it. My comments are re an unsteeped, fresh off the scale text batch at 6% in my standard 70vg/30pg 3 ml nic.

So, forget about comparisons with TFA/CAP VC, this is in a totally different league. I'm not getting any vanilla and only very minute sweetness, probably from my VG heavy media. This is a creamy, eggy (in a good way), thick full bodied, very authentic custard that isn't really comparable to any other flavoring named "custard" on the market. The egg element is especially impressive. I associate eggyness in other flavors as "yuck", but this egg actually works, I think because it's so thick and creamy.
I see a lot of new possibilities with this stuff.

I'm something of a custard enthusiast. I've tried every one I could get my hands on, TFA, CAP V1 V2, FW, FLV, Euro, FA, and none of them compare to this one. Highly recommended.

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
Thanks for the Inw. Custard review Jamba, it sounds like I know what to add in my basket for the next order

Yeah michaelsil1, the 555 seems to vaporize all of it's own my bottle was gone in an instant.

Tried the USA mix with a dash of FA custard tonight and it was nice aswell.

Have some waffle steeping at 2% that I'm looking forward to test.

Regards
Zinfandel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread