Incompetent people telling me the dangers of vaping. What's your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
It's refreshing to read of such positive reactions to vaping -- really wonderful! I am lucky that in my immediate family everyone was supportive. If my parents had been alive, I am not sure how they would have reacted. I think my mother might have been skeptical and my dad indifferent. My in-laws were ecstatic for all of us. Four of us were heavy smokers. Surprisingly, it was a few friends and co workers who really did not get it. They insist we are smoking -- but just a different approach to an addiction.

I can no longer try and convince or explain much more to them. And I have noticed how quickly people jump to conclusions. It has at times really brought not only me, but especially my wife down.

I just turn to the wisdom of the masters to cheer me - and it usually helps!

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time and annoys the pig." --Unknown

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." —Mark Twain

I agree , when i attempted to teach my pig to sing not only did i notice he was an awful singer but he also did seem to cop somewhat of an attitude so thats excellent advice ,

Thank you

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
I SO wish I had seen your post before I put this in the new members thread! I'm sick of people telling me how bad it is, too! I am posting my poem here where I should have in the first place!!! :lol:

If anyone ever bothers you because you're vaping ... just remember how much smarter you are in comparison to them! I turn and recite this directly at them, and not only do they leave me alone, they turn and run. Fast.

Trolls! (c) S. Graham

Trolls on the internet,
Trolls on the phone.
Trolls in the toilet
Won't leave me alone!

Trolls in the closet,
Trolls 'neath the bridge.
Trolls in the faucet --
Trolls in my fridge!

Trolls spreading filth
On my living room floor!
Trolls spit and hiss
In my underwear drawer!

Trolls in the hallways!
Under the bed!
They love to eat earwax
Spread thick on your bread!

Trolls in the fireplace!
Trolls on the loose!
Trolls in your mouth
Pounding hard on a tooth!

Trolls in the air vent
Puffing away!
It's hard to prevent
The foul odor they spray!

Trolls are so jealous
They steal all the joy.
Trolls stomp their feet
When they can't have your toy!

Trolls love emesis,
Delight in the gutter.
One could write a thesis
On Trolls' moldy butter.

That poem is genius and hilarious! I laughed out loud and I enjoy your sense of humor.

Last edited:

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
After 5 months of nonstop education, from me, my aunt finally cried 'UNCLE'. The last straw, for her, was for me to post a link to this thread on facebook. In July, she scared my mom with the formaldehyde 'story'. :-x My mom asked me about it and said 'I should've known you'd know all about it' :), and didn't think any more about it :cool:.

Way to go! I am honored that you posted it on Facebook and care enough to educate willing spirits. God bless you.

Finishing the story here, because she is/was 100% ANTI. She is ALWAYS right about EVERYTHING, and there's NOTHING anyone can say to change her mind. If you have the chance, persistence does pay off sometimes. :vapor:

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Most of the time i say "obviously you've mistaken me for somebody who actually gives a da_ _ " , but not always , sometimes i engage in an all out brawl to the death using prehistoric weaponry as it depends what kind of mood i'm in.

Lol exactly!

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Hi Adam, glad to have you around here.

I have plenty of people tell me how bad vaping is, If they are a smoker I really just ignore them. A non-smoker though gets more sympathy from me. They have no idea of addiction or harm reduction, as those concepts may be foreign to them. I will give them a few pointers from my own experience and then just let them know that I have quit something that I know will kill me, and moved on to something I don't think will kill me and if nothing else I'll feel better up till the time of my demise.

For some reason people seem to accept that answer. I, of course, thank them for their concern and go on with my life.

Hello :)

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
This is what happens when people rely on mainstream media for their view of the world...

Yep. I realize that.

Also it boils down to pure laziness of the mind and passed on words that get molded into something else through to many listeners and not enough researchers.

The truth is still the truth even if nobody believes it.
A lie is still a lie even if everyone believes it.

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
I've been vaping for 4 years and my health has drastically improved! I do things I couldn't do when I smoked! And... my lungs are clear!

I really don't care what they say! I've had a few people tell me it was worse than smoking, while they puffed away on a cigarette. I tell them about the 2000 chemicals in cigarettes including the handful of stuff in eliquid.

Some cigarette smokers have smoked for 50 plus years, my dad and mom, and had no lung problems from it. Cigarettes have Diacetyl. If some people have smoked that many years and Diacetyl hasn't caused them BO/Popcorn lung then I don't see any basis to these "scare tactics".

My Dad smoked closer to 60 years. He never had lung issues. He died during colon surgery 2 years ago. My mom vaped for 50 plus years. She has never had lung issues. I got her switched over to vaping last year and now she's the picture of health at her age. She even goes walking now. She is way more active and loves vaping.

We don't know the ill effects of vaping eh? Well I know the good effects. Some true life people who can testify that it has improved their health drastically.

BTW: My parents weren't passive smokers either. My Dad smoked 5 packs a day for the majority of his life. My mom smoked 3 packs a day. That's a lot of Diacetyl.

Your parents not having any lung issues after that much smoking is as RARE as hens teeth.

Reactions: Foggy Road

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Well, last time it happened, I was at a back yard Labor Day cook out party. It was the usual middle americana type thing, with burgers, brats, beers and families hanging out. Big kids, little kids, everyone was there. We were sitting around after eating and these kids (maybe 4 and 5 years old) come up to me and one says "You look like Santa" and they all laughed. (It's true, since my beard started going gray, I do look like Santa.) I said "I do?" and laughed then said, "Then you should tell me what you want for Christmas" I was just joking but this little one hops up in my lap and tells me what she wants! Then one by one they all 6 of them did that! All the adults were laughing at me saying "You better bring them what they want Santa." The last kid was one of those dirty mean little booger monsters. You know the kind. One of those smelly kids who always looks like he needed a tissue 10 hours ago and now looks like he needs a power wash to blast the snot away. He pulled my beard like 3 times to make sure it was real and it hurt. So after that, I decided to go out to the front porch and have a vape. The booger monster came out front eating an ice cream cone that was melting all over. He said "You shouldn't smoke." I said "I'm not. It's called vaping." Then he reached up with his grubby melted ice cream covered hand and yanks on my beard and says "You shouldn't smoke!" I knocked the ice cream out of his hand and yelled "You just ...... of Santa Clause and made the permanent naughty list ya rat! You aren't getting a Christmas present ever!" He cried and cried but I think I got my point across. Vaping isn't the same as smoking.

That's one way to provoke a point oh I mean proove a point

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
I just tell them that they should get the facts and not believe the garbage they hear on TV, because TV is in the business of selling ads, not telling the truth. I also point out that vaping is AT LEAST 95% safer than smoking, it's the only thing that ever worked to help me stop a THIRTY-NINE YEAR smoking habit, and if I quit vaping, I will go back to smoking -- it's one or the other. If they keep trying to spew garbage and lies, I walk away and just tell them I'm not in the habit of talking to idiots.
With my family, I take the trouble to explain that BT, BP, big evil gov't, and the alphabet soup of "charitable" orgs are losing a lot of money thx to vaping, and THAT is why they are telling lies about it -- not one of them gives an actual rip about anyone's health, just about their own pockets.

Andria
True.

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
If you think about it, your don't really have that cause vapors are vapors but all equals are never the same even though sometimes it still maybe on somebody's mind. Ya know, y'all[emoji12]

Yea its like hitting everywhere except the point.

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
To the egregious smokers that get in my face, a "you're funny...." And go about my business. To a genuine question, I'm more than happy to let them know my experience, and to do some research!

Your funny! Want some gum?? It smells better than smoke.

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
I agree , when i attempted to teach my pig to sing not only did i notice he was an awful singer but he also did seem to cop somewhat of an attitude so thats excellent advice ,

Thank you

But isn't the end product so good. Mmmmmmmm bacon.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
But isn't the end product so good. Mmmmmmmm bacon.

I'm going to pretend i didn't hear that , never and i mean never let the "B" word slip out around a family pet , especially if it's an oinker , while usually non violent and not a threat one slip of the "B" word can cause all he_ _ to break loose where serious injury and even death can result.

Don't believe it ? Below is a pic of a near fatality when my friends pet pig " Vito" heard him say" i'm in the mood for bacon" one morning , not realizing Vito was in the bathroom with the morning newspaper right next to him and overheard it.

upload_2015-11-21_21-34-32.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread