Indiana Call to Action: Multiple Indiana bills would threaten access to and use of e-cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I don't think it will DC2. I was feeling very proud of my fellow Hoosiers while watching it, they really came to bat for our state. The video is the last hour of a three hour session so the pro bill peeps aren't in the video because they spoke first, therefore I think you will enjoy watching this one.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
DC2, I watched the whole thing from the archives. Skip the first 40 minutes or so as it's unrelated. The pro folks give you a good idea how far they are stretching to get this, and who is speaking for who. The prosecutor brought nothing. A couple of vendors that will survive if this kills their competition. Mostly about using eliquids for other "substances".
Click the drop down and select Jan 29th
https://iga.in.gov/information/archives/2015/video/committee_commerce_technology/

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
I'm from Indiana and the bills they are trying to put through would literally shut the doors of every vape shop in Indiana! My friend owns a shop and I help out there all the time. He attended an owners meeting and told me they are pushing to make vaporizers a chargeable offense classifying it as paraffin alia. However you can buy 220 different color aerosol paints at a headshop so it's OK to promote huffing paint but don't get caught with an ego battery or you could do an overnighter. It's all good tho because they passed the sale of alcohol on Sundays. Our fight needs to go to the Federal Supreme Courts or our rights to free commerce will be abolished. Trying to handle this at a state level will end up a futile effort. Taxation that is fair sure, regulations regarding child safety and tamper proof bottles great, health department approved and inspected juice mixing rooms absolutely, warnings and ingredients on labels definitely. The ridiculous proposals and civil rights violating legislature that will eliminate the vape industry entirely and put hundreds of small business owners in bankruptcy as well as put their employees on the unemployment line. This needs stopped now because if not then how many other civil liberties are to follow. Get to your local shops and get on the petitions every signature helps and remember you don't work for the legislators they work for you. Elections are around the way and you may want to think k about how you'll vote come time to hit the polls next time.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Zirf, I couldn't tell you for sure. I watched some of the committee hearing, but by the time I found it, I only heard puppets supporting it.

I was surprised to hear a liquor store chain rep testifying in support of the house bill. I didn't hear any reason for his support. I wonder if that was a tit for tat deal for the sunday liquor sales bill.

FyreDragon

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Grrrr.... I've been following the progress of SB 539 and HB 1432 and have to say it is not looking too good.

HB 1432 has been passed by the House 85-9 and was referred to the Senate. It passed through the committee for Public Policy and is now in the Committee for Tax and fiscal Policy.

SB 539 Passed the Senate 43-6 and was referred to the House. It is currently in Committee for Public Policy.

It's looking far too likely that they are actually going to hammer this garbage legislation through. This will essentially wipe out all access to e-juice in Indiana except from a very small number of companies willing and able to jump through all of the hoops that these bills call for. It seems like all outside competition is being eliminated to me. Maybe that liquor store chain rep is supporting it because they plan to sell e-juice with much less competition? I don't know, but it doesn't seem to pass the smell test.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
All of these legislative actions are being proposed because e-liquid contains nicotine therefore it must be a tobacco product to their way of thinking. If this is the protocol that they are using to deem e-liquid and e-cigs as tobacco products then by default all pharmaceutical stop smoking products such as the gums, lozenges and patches must also be declared tobacco products as well since they too contain nicotine. Seems only fair that if they are so intent on taxing the bejesus out of e-cigs and e-liquid for being tobacco products because they contain nicotine, then they must also apply those same taxes towards all the pharmaceutical stop smoking products that also contain nicotine.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
We should start an online petition calling for exactly that here in Indiana.
Do it. I dont live in Indiana but I'll sign it. In fact that arguments just as valid on a national level as well when it comes to what's about to come down.

I say do it. I would but I suck at that language stuff! LOL!

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
I was surprised to hear a liquor store chain rep testifying in support of the house bill. I didn't hear any reason for his support.

I was surprised too, until I heard (I think) him mention in passing that he sells liquor and tobacco. I may have heard that completely wrong though, as it was near the end of his presentation. I was so disgusted that he would be in support of the bill, I was barely even listening to him at that point.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
CASAA has updated the Indiana Call to Action (3/19/15):

SB 539 and HB 1432 are moving toward floor votes and both bills are still written to gut the vapor industry in Indiana. To complicate matters, the lobbyists that are pushing these bills are attempting to convince legislators that they have “compromised” with both consumers and the Indiana e-liquid industry. This is not true.

Please take a moment to call your senator and representatives and let them know that they should NOT support either of these bills.

Oppose SB 539 & HB 1432 - Make a Call

Full Call to Action: CASAA: Indiana Call to Action: Multiple Indiana bills would threaten access to and use of e-cigarettes.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
CASAA Updated Call to Action 03.23.15

HB 1432 (same as SB 539) is still moving toward a vote on the Senate floor and the bill is still written to gut the vapor industry in Indiana. Even if you have previously taken action on this issue, please take a moment to send an email and call your Indiana State Senator again and let them know that you want them to Oppose HB 1432.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
It is extremely important that many Indiana vapers and all Indiana vape shops contact their legislators opposing this legislation.

I could also be helpful to refer to this legislation as the "Indiana E-liquid Monopoly Act"
and to public criticize the legislation and its sponsors as "crony capitalists".

We need to find out more details of which Indiana e-liquid company(ies) is/are behind this bill, and to generate news stories exposing how just one, two or several Indiana e-liquid manufacturer(s) are trying to enrich themselvles by banning the sale of all e-liquid products made by competitor companies, and by banning all vape shops in Indiana from mixing, bottling, packaging or otherwise manufacturing e-liquid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread