Status
Not open for further replies.

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
It's a legitimate question.

Why should one be offended?

Just because someone else chooses not to use e-cigarettes? Do you really need everybody in the entire world to validate your own personal choices?

It is a legitimate question, and I don't think anyone's offended. However, there has been a very noticeable increase in fear-mongering around here, which has made people a bit touchy.

The issue isn't that others need to validate our choices, it's that the trolling seems to be designed to cause controversy and fear with an aim toward supporting the legal banning of vaping. Given the current political climate around vaping, it's perfectly understandable that people quickly adopt a defensive posture.

n2xe

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2011
Owego, NY
What if the moon was your car and Jupiter was your hairbrush? What if you drank a gallon of gasoline? All legitimate questions in my opinion...

It's a legitimate question.

Why should one be offended?

Just because someone else chooses not to use e-cigarettes? Do you really need everybody in the entire world to validate your own personal choices?

Damn, where's Dr. Phil when you need him.

DropEmCigs

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
EU, Copenhagen®
Do you really need everybody in the entire world to validate your own personal choices?
Not at all! But it seems that a growing crowd are ready to do that for you, nice and unsolicited.
Damn, where's Dr. Phil when you need him.
Not sure, but I think I saw a glimpse of him at The Happy Vally Vapor Convention in the week-end. *lol*

$0.02 from me. Good luck and have fun, all.

AriM

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
San Diego
www.sweetspotvapors.com
i just started vaping a few days ago.....and the first day I did feel a bit sick to my stomach.....to be fair I realized I was using the product incorrectly....but today I went and bought some supplies and talked with the salesman at length about how to use the products properly....i can report no negative side effects, other than a slightly dry throat and burnt taste...which (according to the salesman and other people here is normal for a new atty....I would think that drinking a bottle full of 36mg/ml is just bordering on stupidity....as would be shoving a knife into your eye....i think if one uses common sense, this is far safer and more enjoyable than smoking.....on the other hand, it would suggest keeping your liquids out of the reach of children, dogs and those that lack the common sense and mental capacity to understand the possible risks (not being rude or trying to come down on any group of people).....I think there is no lack of information available about how to do this safely and enjoy the results

P.S. I would also like to see some conclusive, in depth study on vaping....but, to be fair...i don't think you would be able to gather accurate and relevant data in such a short market life....it will be interesting to see what manifests itself in the next few decades....one thing for sure, I'm not smoking and I can't see ANY problems with that

Last edited:

JamesGang

Jan 30, 2011
S.C.
It is a legitimate question, and I don't think anyone's offended. However, there has been a very noticeable increase in fear-mongering around here, which has made people a bit touchy.

I don't see it.

Individuals make their own choices, they themselves have to live with the consequences.

Now if someone asks and refuses to respond to reason or the facts, then you guys and gal may have a point.

Beyond that you're just being obsessive and trying to protect ones own turf. And this guy is absolutely no threat to anyone here by simply asking a question or making a point that he was clearly confused about.

The issue isn't that others need to validate our choices, it's that the trolling seems to be designed to cause controversy and fear with an aim toward supporting the legal banning of vaping. Given the current political climate around vaping, it's perfectly understandable that people quickly adopt a defensive posture.

The issue I see is some here are afraid somebody is going to ban vaping, doesn't support the community or some other assorted bullshyt. I mean does anybody really give a shyt? It's the internet.

I don't think the topic poster is in any position to ban vaping. And even if he was the way he is treated here may affect his decision. It's important how we come off.

So projecting this fear onto him for basically asking a simple question, and one that has some merit is not a logical response in my view. Or one that is likely to reflect positively upon us as a whole.

Last edited:

JamesGang

Jan 30, 2011
S.C.
..........+2 (and.... deja vu anyone?)

Rosa, I have a question for you.

Do you think it's smart to replace one obsession with another?

Furthermore, if someone disagrees and doesn't support ones own personal choices, does this mean they don't support the community and should be stoned to death or something similar?

I don't see anybody trying to steal your candy here.

And surely you must have more to worry about in life than this.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
True. You can die if you drink too much water.........[/url]
My father, who is not of sound mind these days, drank way too much water one night.
He thought he was too hot, and drinking water in endless amounts (while we were in bed for the night) would fix his problem.

Drinking as much water as he did was not good for him, or anybody, and he thought he was having a heart attack.
We had to take him to the emergency room.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
There's nothing wrong with obsessions, in and of themselves, unless they cause harm to anyone.

Video game obsessions? Sure, they may cause harm to family.
Gambling obsessions? Sure, they may cause harm to finances, and hence family.
Quilting obsessions? Sure, they may cause harm to your fingers, or something.

The point is many people, if not most, are obsessed with something, or have an addiction to something.
Painting all obsessions with a wide brush is not helpful, nor illuminative.

Furthermore, if someone disagrees and doesn't support ones own personal choices, does this mean they don't support the community and should be stoned to death or something similar?
I can kind of agree with this, but at the same time, they are definitely out to get us.
:)

JamesGang

Jan 30, 2011
S.C.
I can kind of agree with this, but at the same time, they are definitely out to get us.
:)

I have a different take on the situation.

I think our behavior has an influence on whether or not they will be successful.

And to insinuate that nicotine is a perfectly safe substance to handle or consume and vaping nicotine fluids is a perfectly safe activity isn't factual. Like so many other things it can be handled and used safely and responsibly. The reverse is also true. A good bit of misinformation being thrown around by those on both sides.

Some interested in pushing consumer products for financial gain. Others interested in forcing their own personal values down everybody else's throat.

I'm quite comfortable sharing my experience and the facts and letting others make up their own minds. Without the name calling and herd mentality one sees so often on the internet.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
36mg isn't a dangerously high dosage. I know some people that vape that level. Now 100mg nic makes me nervous. But do I use it? Yes .. While properly attired, I dilute it down to a more managable level for my DIY stuff. Would I ever vape that level? No! That would not only make me sick but could be dangerous.
Last question: have I ever gotten any juice in my mouth. Many times. But I vape at a reasonably safe level. I would never willingly -drink- it. That's just plain stupidity. But the mg levels, that most of us are exposed to on a regular basis, are much safer than the pure nicotine you referenced. It's all relative. And therefore I think it's a pretty silly question. (and why you may be getting the responses that you did!)

JamesGang

Jan 30, 2011
S.C.
36mg isn't a dangerously high dosage. I know some people that vape that level. Now 100mg nic makes me nervous. But do I use it? Yes .. While properly attired, I dilute it down to a more managable level for my DIY stuff. Would I ever vape that level? No! That would not only make me sick but could be dangerous.
Last question: have I ever gotten any juice in my mouth. Many times. But I vape at a reasonably safe level. I would never willingly -drink- it. That's just plain stupidity. But the mg levels, that most of us are exposed to on a regular basis, are much safer than the pure nicotine you referenced. It's all relative. And therefore I think it's a pretty silly question. (and why you may be getting the responses that you did!)

Let me ask you a question leannebug.

If someone had no experience with nicotine, vaping or smoke juice, how would they know it's a silly question from your perspective, without asking?

You see what I'm getting at?

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Let me ask you a question leannebug.

If someone had no experience with nicotine, vaping or smoke juice, how would they know it's a silly question from your perspective, without asking?

You see what I'm getting at?

If I had no experience with nicotine, vaping or smoking I doubt if I'd look around for a ecig board, register and ask questions from people that are vaping. If I wanted to know about concentrations, solutions and how to calculate dilutions, I'd probably look for a chemistry board.

This person stated that they don't vape and don't have any interest in vaping. I'm not saying it's a troll, but the post does have a baiting aspect to it.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
Rosa, I have a question for you.

I don't see anybody trying to steal your candy here.

And surely you must have more to worry about in life than this.

re: obsessions: I don't have an obsession, I have an addiction to nicotine. I am 39 and I have been smoking since I was 13. If you think I never really tried to quit, you'd be dead wrong. In fact I have been able to quit for up to 6 months at a time at three different times in my life. After the last time that I quit, when 6 months had gone by and the dreams and withdrawal symptoms hadn't stopped I asked a man I knew for advice. He was an older man in his late sixties who had quit in his late twenties. I said, "how long is this feeling going to last? When am I going to forget about smoking?" He said, "I still want a cigarette everyday, you just have to make yourself not smoke one." REALLY? I'm going to live everyday without satisfaction? So I decided I never wanted to quit again, I was just going to be a happy and satisfied smoker.

In the case of e-cigarettes, YES it is smart to replace one obsession with another.

re: if someone disagrees do they have the right to come to my safe place and start fires? (because that's what's really going on here): Look, I don't go to the weight watchers support group and start un-researched rumors that the "meal plan" that they send you will cause cancer. I don't need someone coming in here and telling me that my chosen alternative to killing myself with cigarettes might be bad for me. WE all know it hasn't been proven safe. All we know to be 100% true is that the choices are vaping or smoking cigarettes and cigarettes will kill you dead. If you don't agree with my personal choices, why are you on this forum? - it doesn't concern you, it's not hurting you in any way, the more people that you chase away from e-cigs the more smokers you'll have sitting next to you at the tables outside the cafe -- it's mind boggling to me that you "care" enough about peoples health that you'd be willing to convince them to keep smoking. What's up with that?

re: nobody is trying to steal our candy: That's where you are wrong. We have been in a struggle with a lot of different state governments who, BASED ON FAULTY INFORMATION like the untrue junk that shows up on this forum, are trying to make e-cigs illegal everyday. In fact, we are fighting NY right now. We almost lost CA, but it was overturned. Yes, they are trying to take our candy - even worse, if they do take our candy most of us will end up smoking again.

re: must have more to worry about in my life: Yes, I have a lot of more important things to worry about in my life and I'd like to live a long time so that I will be able to worry about them for many years to come. If e-cigs are made illegal I'll worry about the important things in my life while smoking a Camel Filter, if e-cigs get to remain legal then I'll worry about them with an e-cig in my hand.

The trolls always think that if e-cigs go away, we'll just quit vaping. They forget that MOST smokers are never able to quit in their lifetimes - if e-cigs go away most of us will end up at the gas station buying a pack of cigarettes. I don't know why they can't let us have a less harmful alternative?

Last edited:
Here I am trying to avoid the liberal/conservative battle/timesuck that I usually spend my time in, and this thread looks just like the one that I'd been ignoring on the political site. Troll ("newbies" using smilies is always a bit suspect) or not, it's always useful to keep putting the right information out there.

I've been lurking this forum for weeks, finally signed up, but if I'd just gotten into the vaping thing, I'd have had some of the same questions. Since it is a health/risk issue, not "feeding the trolls" isn't the most helpful option...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread